PDA

View Full Version : End Grain Cutting Board

Mike Goetzke
10-14-2006, 9:46 AM
The design is from Wood Magazine. I used cherry, maple, and walnut.

Russ Massery
10-14-2006, 9:47 AM
Looks Great Mike. Well done.

Dennis Peacock
10-14-2006, 9:54 AM
Awww Maaaaaannnnnnnn......Now the LOML has just added 4 of those to my list for Christmas gifts.!!!!!!

Very well done Mike. Very pretty and nice work!!!! :D

Mike Goetzke
10-14-2006, 4:43 PM
Awww Maaaaaannnnnnnn......Now the LOML has just added 4 of those to my list for Christmas gifts.!!!!!!

Very well done Mike. Very pretty and nice work!!!! :D

My 13 yr old son saw me working on this. He helped and he plans to give it to my wife for her b-day next week. I'm sure I'll get orders for more. Good thing it's sort of a fun project that can be completed in a relatively short period of time.

Dan Oliphant
10-14-2006, 4:45 PM
Good job Mike, that board has a lot of visual interest and would make a fine gift.

Joe Jensen
10-14-2006, 4:47 PM
I might be wrong, but I was taught that Walnut was toxic. You might want to check it out before you use it...joe

Russ Massery
10-14-2006, 5:21 PM
Walnut can become toxic if it comes in contact with animal urine.BTW the SWMBO was looking over my shoulder while I was looking at this . Looks like I'll be making a few of those myself.:rolleyes:

Art Mulder
10-14-2006, 8:52 PM
Awww Maaaaaannnnnnnn......Now the LOML has just added 4 of those to my list for Christmas gifts.!!

I've made both end-grain and face-grain (just strips, not blocks) cutting boards this past year.

The end grain are nice, but definitely an order of magnitude more difficult. I found that the non-woodworkers did not grasp how much more finicky the gluing and clamping was to get an end-grain to come out right.

...art