PDA

View Full Version : Set clocks - time to inspect again.

Mitchell Andrus
10-14-2006, 8:40 AM
The accident you avoid may be your own.

I spend about 4 hours twice a year (aside from ongoing on-the-spot repairs) inspecting/repairing/replacing everything that moves in the shop. I do it when the clocks change - a great reminder.

The post about an unfortunate accident due to a cracked miter saw part prompts me to remind everyone to take just a little time to open all inspection doors and look at belts, nuts and bolts, castings and handles. Tear down and tighten everything. (I caught a loose impeller on my DC last spring) Tighten and replace where needed. Great time to lube too.

Don't overlook plumbing and heating equipment. A burst water heater would be a problem, no? Change the oil in your compressor.

Vacuum all the dust out of every electrical box. Inspect wiring for frays and rot and make sure - at least twice a year - that you're doing all you can to stay fire safe.

A secondary benefit is that you may eliminate down-time due to an untimely failure and repair which might have been caught and avoided.

Mitch

John Miliunas
10-14-2006, 10:04 AM
Great advice, Mitch! Thank you. Far too often, we get caught up with the need to use equipment while paying too little attention to making sure it's all in proper and safe working order. "An ounce of prevention..." and all that good stuff. Great reminder! :) :cool:

glenn bradley
10-14-2006, 11:18 AM
I made an old post where I almost picked up a new set of knives for my planer. Turned out all it needed was a little cleaning and some routine maintenance. Let's see . . . a rag, mineral spirits, a wrench and some time or $$$. Hmmmmmm. Good advice and I like the idea of the time-change as a reminder.

Dave Ray
10-14-2006, 11:45 AM
Thanks Mitch, good post here. Good reminder concerning our safety and that of our families.