PDA

View Full Version : Requisites for HDTV?

John Miliunas
10-19-2003, 10:46 PM
So, I'm thinking HDTV. No, I can't afford a flat panel, either plasma or LCD. But, I did see some decent prices on flat screens recently, but I still confused. Most say "HDTV Ready", which I know means they don't come with the built-in receiver. Is that a totally seperate item or is that something one gets if one goes with the digital satellite receiver? I just don't know which way to go with this crapola. Sorry for sounding so ignorant on this stuff, but it's not been a priority for me and I just haven't kept up on the crap. Never thought I'd feel so technically inadequate on a home entertainment setup! Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. :cool:

Jim Becker
10-19-2003, 11:18 PM
You will need either the separate "HDTV tuner-do-jobbie" or a digital cable box that includes the HDTV stuff for one of the "HDTV-ready" sets. Whatever you buy, however, be sure to get something with the 16x9 ratio screen. Otherwise, you're into letter-boxing which reduces the effective size of your picture significantly.

Howard Norman
10-20-2003, 1:39 AM
So, I'm thinking HDTV. No, I can't afford a flat panel, either plasma or LCD. But, I did see some decent prices on flat screens recently, but I still confused. Most say "HDTV Ready", which I know means they don't come with the built-in receiver. Is that a totally seperate item or is that something one gets if one goes with the digital satellite receiver? I just don't know which way to go with this crapola. Sorry for sounding so ignorant on this stuff, but it's not been a priority for me and I just haven't kept up on the crap. Never thought I'd feel so technically inadequate on a home entertainment setup! Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. :cool:

As I understand it, if you are using satellite you will need a HDTV satellite receiver to go with that HDTV ready TV. You may also need a new oval dish to receive the HDTV signals also. If you have DirecTV, go to their website and check it out. I picked up an additional conventional DirecTV receiver two weeks ago and I had a hard time finding anything but HDTV receivers around here. BTW, the HDTV receivers were around $300-400.

Howard

Joe Suelter
10-20-2003, 8:29 AM
I work fo rthe cable co. and we just started offereing HDTV. We use a Motorola 5100 series cable box as the reciever. If you have the chance, get it! It is awesome! We only offer about 11 channels as of now, but more are surely on the way. Discovery HD is by far the coolest channel I've seen yet.

John Miliunas
10-21-2003, 11:38 PM
Looks like I'm most of the way there. Went to a couple places yesterday and pretty much decided on a 30" 16:9 ratio widescreen. Then I went and bought one at, of all places, Sears. They had the same Samsung unit I liked at the other places and all were selling them for $999.00. BUT, this particular Sears had a "returned item" sitting on the shelf with a hardly noticeable scratch on the side of the cabinet. Full warranty, paperwork, remote, etc..., but no box. Big deal. I bought the thing for $699.00 so, for $300.00, I don't really care if I get the box! Also picked up the Sylvania HDTV receiver pretty reasonable. All's I need now is to get lined up with one of the satellite outfits and we'll be set, because my DVD player already has "progressive scan" on it, so we can take advantage of the HD right away. Cool! Thanks for responses and guidance. It gave me some intelligent questions to ask the sales associates when shopping. :cool:

Don Abele
10-22-2003, 8:58 PM
John, excellent deal, congrats. I have a home theater with a high definition projector throwing an image onto a 10 foot wide screen.

A couple of things, the progressive scan is nothing like the definition of HDTV - that's comparing apples and oranges.

Progressive merely indicates that the entire image is displayed at once, instead of every other line, like in interlaced. Interlaced is what makes televisions and monitors flicker. A progressive scan does not as it is displaying the whole image at one time.

For definition, it's a matter of lines. And horizontal is what you are looking for.

Here's what the native resolutions are for each format:

HDTV: 1920x1080
DVD: 720x480
TV (NTSC): 460x360
VHS: 300x360

As you can see, the 1080 of HDTV is more than twice that of a DVD regardless of progressive or not. And on a 10 foot screen HDTV is...
AMAZING!!! You'll love it, I know I do. I just wish more channels would come out sooner.

Be well,

Doc

John Miliunas
10-22-2003, 9:41 PM
"Holy Cinemascope, Batman!" 10' foot wide screen, Don? Man, talk about "being there". I'll bet the Sunday football games are splendid to watch on that puppy! Thanks much for the technical detail on the resolutions. I hadn't realized that big of a difference. Guess I'll really be trying to get on one of the satellite companies to see what kind of deal they can spin me. I called Dish Network on it yesterday, and the nice lady who took the call was just that: nice. Unfortunately, she didn't have a clue, though she was ready and raring to sell me a premium movie package of some sort. I'll keep researching it and see what I can come up with. :cool:

Don Abele
10-22-2003, 10:01 PM
John, I have DirecTv and have no complaints about my service. I've had them for over 5 year now and moved 3 times - all of which I used their move program which is nice because they install a new dish on the new house - no charge. Their packages are priced like all the rest and, yes, they too will try to sell you the million channel deal. I opted for just what I know I'll watch (total choice with local channels for $38.99).

The HDTV option is $10.99 a month and includes 5 or 6 channels and a pay-per-view HD channel. Sounds like a lot, until you see one. And yes, one of them is ESPN so the games are amazing.

I have the HDTV receiver plus a Tivo set for recording (a DVR) which I highly recommend.

BTW, don't listen to any of the bunk about channel fade because of the weather or solar flares. Yes it happens, but less than the problems I've encountered in the past with cable tv. And just ask the cable guys where they get their signal from (yes - satellites). I've lived in Maine with the snow and Washington with the rain and now Virginia with heat and have no complaints about channel fade.

Here's a recent advantage too. After Isabel ripped us apart, I was able to watch TV (with my generator) while my neighbors had to wait 2 weeks for the cable to be restored.

Good luck with everything and if I can answer any questions, let me know.

Be well,

Doc

John Miliunas
10-22-2003, 10:20 PM
OK, a number of the national networks (CBS, NBC, FOX, etc...), often advertise that "this or that" program is being broadcast in HD. If you're watching one of them and they happen to be broadcasting in HD, do you have the advantage of receiving that signal in HD, as well as the other premium channels you're paying 10.99 for? :cool:

Don Abele
10-23-2003, 4:54 PM
John, Satellite companies offer local channels in many areas (I get mine) but only in a standard broadcast through the satellite. They do not offer the HD version because the bandwidth for local signals in HD is so much larger that they couldn't offer all those different local channels.

So local channels are available in HD using an off-air antenna. The version I have clips to the top of my dish. My satellite receiver has a built in function that lets me switch between my sat signal and the antenna signal. But you still need to have the HD receiver to send the signals to the television. The last I checked, cable was not offering local channels in HD either, for the same reason so you would need to use an off-air antenna for them as well.

If you have a HD equipped television (that is with a HD tuner inside), then you just hook the antenna up to it and it'll work, no satellite or receiver needed. But most tv's are HD ready - they can accept the signal but need a receiver. There is about a $500-$800 difference in equipped and ready models. A HD recevier for tv's or HD satellite receiver both cost about the same and are not interchangable.

I know this all sounds like it can be a pita, and at first it is, but like I've said, once you see it, you'll want all of them in HD - it is amazing. It's also a very expensive "hobby"...and is like woodworking - it's contagious and grows and grows. My theater has well over a hundred hours of installation in it, probably twice that in research, and many, many times that in cash. But then again, I don't spend $10+ a ticket to go to the movies - I walk downstairs. :)

Hope this helps...and if you want more in-depth info, let me know.

Be well,

Doc

John Miliunas
10-23-2003, 9:45 PM
Thank you much for all the info, Don! You've actually given me more than the local TV repair guy who does both, install off-air antenna's and satellite! He told me he knows "some stuff is coming out for HD..." but that's about all the more he knows about it. Leave it to some woodworkers to give me the straight scoop! Thanks to all for the info. :cool:

Don Abele
10-23-2003, 9:57 PM
No problem John. My pleasure to pass it along. Like I said, I did A LOT of research and have stayed pretty up to date with everything. If you have any more questions, let me know and I'll try and help.

Be well,

Doc

Jeff Rich
10-26-2003, 8:03 AM
the place of my employment is tarting to do the home theater thing.
We recently tried out an HDTV receiver from Panasonic that receives over the air signals very well.
However, we have a crappy old 480x600 Plasma so the HDTV signal, being pretty awesome, was filled with motion artifacts.
Next Step is hooking the receiver up to a true HDTV projector, one of the JVC DILA units, and we will see how good it really is........
Right now, there STILL is no standard signal so some stations will look different. You can always email me for advice, free of course, and I can then give you the link to a few sites.

John Miliunas
10-26-2003, 9:34 AM
I've said it before and I'll say it again: "SMC is the place to be!" Seems that besides WW, we have expertise in just about any venue one needs answers on! Jeff, Don, thanks again for your advice and yes, if I have more questions, you can be sure I'll refer to one of you guys! :cool:

John Miliunas
10-26-2003, 9:36 AM
You will need either the separate "HDTV tuner-do-jobbie" or a digital cable box that includes the HDTV stuff for one of the "HDTV-ready" sets. Whatever you buy, however, be sure to get something with the 16x9 ratio screen. Otherwise, you're into letter-boxing which reduces the effective size of your picture significantly.

Hey Jim. Recently shot picture for your avatar? Very becoming... :D :cool:

Jim Becker
10-26-2003, 11:00 AM
Hey Jim. Recently shot picture for your avatar? Very becoming...

'Tis the season... :rolleyes:

Mike Evertsen
10-26-2003, 1:58 PM
Looks like I'm most of the way there. Went to a couple places yesterday and pretty much decided on a 30" 16:9 ratio widescreen. Then I went and bought one at, of all places, Sears. They had the same Samsung unit I liked at the other places and all were selling them for $999.00. BUT, this particular Sears had a "returned item" sitting on the shelf with a hardly noticeable scratch on the side of the cabinet. Full warranty, paperwork, remote, etc..., but no box. Big deal. I bought the thing for $699.00 so, for $300.00, I don't really care if I get the box! Also picked up the Sylvania HDTV receiver pretty reasonable. All's I need now is to get lined up with one of the satellite outfits and we'll be set, because my DVD player already has "progressive scan" on it, so we can take advantage of the HD right away. Cool! Thanks for responses and guidance. It gave me some intelligent questions to ask the sales associates when shopping. :cool:

I have directv just upgraded to the tivo receiver recorder,,been real happy with them,,,,,,,