PDA

View Full Version : Square Drive McFeely's screws

Mark Rios
10-14-2006, 12:17 AM
Brad Nobles thread brought up a question I'd meant to ask but had forgotten about.

I ordered three boxes of tan colored square drive cabinet screws and a five (or was it six) pack of the red, 3", driver bits about 2 months ago.

I went to use them for the first time and found that the driver didn't really fit into the square hole on the screw and the driver would slip out. After awhile, I found that if I wiggled the bit back and forth into the screw head I could get it to stay most of the time. Should it be that hard to get the bit to stay fully engaged in the screw? I checked screws from all three boxes and the fit is all the same. It's kind of like there is too much of the finish on the top of the screw.

Has anyone else found this? Any suggestions?

Thanks very much for any help/feedback.

Mike Canaris
10-14-2006, 1:30 AM
The bit should hold the screw nicely even if you turn it downwards it should not fall....There are variious sizes available, the one you need is no 2...if it's just a bad bit try grinding the head down in 64th increments while trying to see how it fits..

John Renzetti
10-14-2006, 3:05 AM
Hi Mark, I'm wondering if you got the NoCorode screws. These have extra plating and McFeely's sells a special undersized bit for this type of screw. It's still called a #2 size square drive bit but is slightly undersized.
You could possibly just file off a slight amount of metal from the present red #2 driver and use it for these bits.
take care,
John

Jim Becker
10-14-2006, 9:37 AM
John hit on something...if they are the NoCorode, McFeeley has a special driver for them that takes into consideration the coating.

Brad Noble
10-14-2006, 10:49 AM
Humm, John, NoCorode screws huh. Me thinks I'd better study that catalog when I get it. Thanks for the heads up (for me anyway).

Brad

Mark Rios
10-14-2006, 8:30 PM
Thanks very much for that clarification. I'll check on the No-Corrode thing. But when I ordered the screws and the bits I ordered on the phone and asked the salesperson to tell me what I needed. Hmmmmmmm..........

Thanks again to all very much.

Per Swenson
10-14-2006, 8:38 PM
Mark,

What you have is a red driver for the no corrode.

As Mike said, You want a regular #2 driver.

This from first hand knowledge.

Per

Per Swenson
10-14-2006, 9:49 PM
Erroneous info above.

Mc feelys sez the red drivers are #2

So I just had to go and check my cab screws with the red driver.

No problem.

Sorry I was mistaken "N' don't know what else to say.

But I drive my cab screws with Lee Valley 6" #2 bit.

And Makita impact.

Per

Jesse Cloud
10-15-2006, 11:46 AM
The drivers should fit snugly. Never thought I would do this, but you can get the drivers at the BORGs. Home Despot carries the DeWalt brand, I think a couple bucks a piece.

Every now and then, I will get a slightly loose driver. I just toss it and move on. Buy em by the bag.

Mark Rios
10-15-2006, 2:30 PM
Yes Per, they are a standard #2 bit.

Being that the bit will eventually fit into the square hole, it's apparent that there is too much coating material on the screw head for these particular bits. After I get done wiggling and fussing with them they fit fine. But they look terrible as the coating is now chipped and boogered up, kind of defeating the purpose of buying the coated screws in the first place.

I bought what the salesperson told me. I guess I need to gain some more experience with these screws. Hope my new learning process and subsequent "experience" doesn't cost me too much. :D

Mark Rios
10-15-2006, 2:37 PM
These are the screws that I bought,

http://www.mcfeelys.com/product.asp?pid=1030-PSA

And these are the bits that I was told that went with the above screws,

http://www.mcfeelys.com/product.asp?pid=HX6-0225

The screws don't appear to be the "No-Co-Rode" type so I think the bits are correct. They just don't fit into the screw heads.

Jesse Cloud
10-15-2006, 4:52 PM
Mark,
This just isn't right. Maybe you got a bad batch of screws. I would call McF's up and explain the problem. They have a quality product and I'm sure they would want to make it right for you.

Mark Rios
10-15-2006, 5:09 PM
Yeah, I think I'll just have to do that. I do believe that it's an anomoly and not the norm, judging from all the accolades and the following that McFeely's has. I'll give them a call in the morning.

Thanks to all for your input and help. I'll let you know what I find out.

Greg Sznajdruk
10-15-2006, 6:55 PM
As most of you know up in the Great White North we have been using Robertson screws since about 1910 or so. Home Depot here sells Robertson in any size you want and for virtually any application. So how come they don't on their home truff?

Greg