PDA

View Full Version : white glue yellow glue

douglas hyde
10-13-2006, 9:49 PM
what is the difference between white and yellow glue is it just the color or the bonding power.

Jon Eckels
10-13-2006, 9:58 PM
as far as I know white is used primarily for mouldings and trim work where the glue may not necessarily be painted over, or lightly painted over if at all.

Steve Rowe
10-13-2006, 9:59 PM
Yellow glue has an additive that makes it good for use on some of the higher moisture content construction lumber. That is why it is typically called "Carpenters Glue". From a practical perspective, both are PVA glues and the basic difference to me is that yellow glue dries yellow and white glue dries clear. Some may argue that one is stronger than the other but since both glues are stronger than the wood itself (for a properly prepared joint), the point seems moot to me.

I generally use white glue because it dries clear and creates a less visible glue line on certain woods. White glue usually has a longer open time.

Steve

glenn bradley
10-13-2006, 10:37 PM
I blatantly stole this from another site:

"Amy Jo Morris, a technical service person at Franklin International, had this advice. White glue and yellow glue have about equivalent bonds after they have cured. White glue remains just a bit more elastic than yellow after curing. Yellow glue sets up faster and resists moisture better than white glue."

Andrew Ault
10-13-2006, 11:32 PM
White glue is also runnier than yellow glue.