PDA

View Full Version : Theo's Castle...

Art Mulder
10-13-2006, 7:49 PM
Made this a few months ago, and it's going to finally get handed out at the end of the month to my son Theo, when he turns three.

This is a "kit" project. Instead of making a complete castle, I designed and made the castle "parts". And hopefully (like Lego, or K'nex, or suchlike) Theo will build and rebuild this in new ways each time.

3/8" Baltic Birch ply, and finished with "tried and true" original wood finish from Lee Valley (basically BLO mixed with beeswax) sized to work with 3" tall playmobil knights which you can buy.

best,
...art

ps: oh yeah, and it's in the November issue of Canadian Home Workshop magazine (mine just showed up in my mailbox today). ;)

John Renzetti
10-13-2006, 9:31 PM
Hi Art, The castle is really good. Have you thought about trying to sell the idea to some of the catalog companies.
Hopefully the castle will also get passed down a few generations.
take care,
John

Corey Hallagan
10-13-2006, 9:54 PM
Very cool Art! I think dad is going to be pretty popular guy, but I suspect he is already!

corey

Jim Becker
10-13-2006, 10:05 PM
Now, that's really kewel, Art!!! Lucky kid!

lou sansone
10-14-2006, 6:14 AM
very nice, excellent idea. thanks for sharing it with us
lou

Jeff Horton
10-14-2006, 8:44 AM
Now that is too cool! I love it.

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
10-14-2006, 10:05 AM
Very Very nice, great idea, and well done!

But.......................

No battering rams or catapults :D

Great job!

Gary Herrmann
10-14-2006, 10:31 AM
Art, what a great idea. I'm going to see if my son would be interested in something like that. He might be getting to the age where he can help a bit - he's 6.

Stu - what would Hobbes think?

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
10-14-2006, 11:57 AM
Hobbes would be right there storming the breech with Calvin :D

glenn bradley
10-14-2006, 11:59 AM
That is outstanding and . . . made by Dad!

Art Mulder
10-14-2006, 1:50 PM
No battering rams or catapults

Well, I do find trebuchets to be interesting. But I've seen what a real trebuchet can do, and the thought of putting one of those in the hands of my "have no fear" kids... :eek::eek::eek:

But on a general level... our kids do fine on their own with making anything and everything into weaponry. :rolleyes:

And as for Calvin, well he'd be disappointed that I didn't put in the Tyrannosaures rex, or build the castle below a strangely unstable Hoover Dam.:p

But thanks, Gentlemen, for all the kind words. This one spent a few weeks in my head, and I made a few test peices, dreaming it up and working out the proportions, and I think I hit on a winner.

John, what sort of catalog companies? Never thought of that.

best,
...art

Bruce Page
10-14-2006, 6:14 PM
Way cool Art! Your son is going to love it!

Bob Childress
10-15-2006, 8:40 AM
Dang, Art! That's waaaay cool. :) Lucky kid. And BTW, since it is modular, you can keep on building new pieces for years. By the time he's six he'll have a castle that would cover a two-car garage. :D