PDA

View Full Version : Some things Just Turn out

John Mayfield
10-19-2003, 10:42 PM
Now that the weather here in Alabama has started to cool off at night, it's time to get back into my shop. The outher night I turn a bowl from a some Poplar from a tree I cut out of my yard a year ago. The base is some Walnut I added to save this bowl. During my final turning of the base I cut through the bottom of the bowl. I was determined not to let this bowl go to waste, so I tured the bottom and added the Walnut. As it turns out the Walnut base added something to the bowl. I may have to add the Walnut more bowls.

Philip Duffy
10-20-2003, 5:32 AM
John, Nice save/work! What is the finish?

Ken Salisbury
10-20-2003, 5:37 AM
Very nice job John.

Who would ever turn through the bottom of a bowl- DAMHIKT :D

Since you live in the same location as "The Old Rebel Workshop" you should drop by sometime. I am in the book.

Julie Wright
10-20-2003, 7:21 AM
:D That is a Very Nice Looking Bowl.
Keep up the good work :D

Jim Becker
10-20-2003, 8:45 AM
We have a member of our local AAW chapter who "regularly augments" the bottom of his bowls and vessels...and they always turn out great regardless of the reason for the "augmentation". You did a great job on this turning, both in creating a very interesting piece and redesigning it on the fly to recover from an unfortunate incident. Those are both good qualities. Great job!

Ted Shrader
10-20-2003, 11:26 AM
John -

Nice recovery! Actually turned into an enhancement.

Well Done,
Ted

Byron Trantham
10-20-2003, 1:42 PM
John, accident, what accident? Sure looks beautiful to me. As you said, you should apply this accident to future work. ;)

Jeff Bishop
10-20-2003, 10:37 PM
John,
As a friend of mine always says, "There are no mistakes, only design changes." Nice looking bowl.