PDA

View Full Version : backing-out plane

Ken Bryant
10-13-2006, 6:43 PM
Steve Knight built me a backing-out plane. It's used in carvel-style wooden boat building to hollow out the inside of a plank, so it fits the curve of the ribs. The blade is cambered, and the sole curved to match.

David Marcus Brown
10-14-2006, 10:07 AM
Very nice plane . . . and that background in the picture is a great gloat! It must be great to live on the coast w/ a view like that.

Alan DuBoff
10-14-2006, 1:12 PM
It looks nice.

How long did it take for you to get? I just fired off a message to Steve to find out if my planes might get to me by New Years. It's only been about 4 1/2 months since I placed the first order.

EDIT: got a reply from Steve, my planes are coming soon. Pics to come.

Ken Bryant
10-15-2006, 10:26 PM
Alan, I can't remember exactly how long it took, but I think it was a couple of months. May not be the fastest, but it's undoubtedly worth waiting for, and the prices are, I think, ridiculously low. $125 for a custom-made, very specialized plane. I hope to own lots of Steve Knight planes, and I'm willing to wait for them...

David, thanks. Yes, that was a bit of an underhanded gloat. That's the view from my house on Galiano Island, where my shop is. Unfortunately I have to spend part of each week in Vancouver, where my shop isn't.

Jim Becker
10-16-2006, 9:10 AM
Beautiful tool in a beautiful place! Congrats on the acquisition.

Jerry Palmer
10-16-2006, 9:45 AM
I don't know how much custom work or even if Steve will be doing any retail at all. Seems he has found a retail outlet for his stuff and, for his sake, I hope that keeps him too busy to take custom orders himself. He has had tendencies to get behind the 8 ball time wise of late. Being able to do more standardized runs of planes will help him out significantly, I think.