PDA

View Full Version : Schwarz-styled sawbench

Ken Bryant
10-13-2006, 6:39 PM
Two sawbenches built to the plans given by Chris Schwarz in Woodworking Magazine. The second photo shows the tools used to build them (including my two new Wenzloff saws).

Charles McKinley
10-13-2006, 8:26 PM
Hi Ken,

Nice work on the benches.

What month did Chris have the plans for them?

Thanks,

Mike Wenzloff
10-13-2006, 8:50 PM
Hi Charles, Chris maintains a blog on a lot of subjects, two of which concern the sawbench directly:

Building a sawbench--includes the free downloadable PDF of the plan:
http://www.woodworking-magazine.com/blog/Building+A+Sawbench.aspx

Using a sawbench:
http://www.woodworking-magazine.com/blog/Using+A+Sawbench.aspx

Take care, Mike

Mike Wenzloff
10-13-2006, 8:51 PM
Hi Ken--I recognize those saws!

Wonderful setting and photography. Very nice job on the sawbenches.

Take care, Mike

Alan DuBoff
10-14-2006, 1:19 AM
Nice! I really like the design of that sawbench Chris designed.:cool:

David Marcus Brown
10-14-2006, 10:05 AM
Nice bench and awesome veiled gloat! ;)

Those Seaton saws are very high on my want-it list.

Charles McKinley
10-14-2006, 11:15 PM
Thanks Mike

Ken Bryant
10-15-2006, 10:49 PM
Charles, the article was in the most recent issue (and, as Mike says, there's lots related to the benches in the blogs). NOTE that the plans available in PDF on the blog are a generation earlier than the plans in the magazine article. The magazine plans are, in my opinion (and I gather in Chris' opinion also) an improvement. The ones in the magazine call for the stretchers to be attached to the legs with draw-bored-and-wedged through-tenons -- a fun joint to make, and super-sturdy.

David, the Wenzloff saws (introduced by the Chris Schwarz articles) have changed my sawing ways altogether. I've been a Japanese-saw-user for years. After reading Anthony Guidici, I had a flirtation with frame saws, but was never very good at controlling them for a straight cut (though I still use them for curves). I went back to pull-saws. Tried LN backsaws; not entirely happy; back a third time to Japanese saws.

But the Wenzloff saws are a different universe altogether. I am now persuaded by the argument that goes, "Western-saws-aren't-the-problem, cheap-Western-saws-are the problem".

Derek Cohen
10-16-2006, 2:08 AM
Very nice work Ken. They are my tuit list.

Perhaps I need the inspiration of decent (i.e. MW) panel saws to get mine done (I do have a birthday in January, so ...). Nice gloats!

Regards from Perth

Derek

Charles McKinley
10-16-2006, 9:22 PM
Thanks Ken,

Grrr another magazine to buy. Luckily a grocery store I go to has them 10% off. I'm going to subscribe to Popular WW and will probably do the same with woodworking. I really like Chris'es work. I had seen Woodworking but didn't realize it was frome the same publishing copmpany. Hope it is still on the rack.

Bob Lang
10-17-2006, 9:02 AM
You can also buy it online if you can't find it locally.

Mike Wenzloff
10-17-2006, 11:20 AM
Charles, PopWood and Woodworking Magazine, which only comes out every so often and is in the main B&W with zero advertising, are both very good magazines and have been moving in a solid direction for a few years. They keep getting better and better. The projects, the topics, everything.

There are a few things which I want to point out as well. Glen Huey has recently been hired--one of my favorite woodworkers--as a senior editor.

And in case y'all don't know who Bob Lang is, he is the Bob Lang who is also a senior editor at PopWood. He is the guy responsible for the wonderful Shop Drawings for Greene & Greene Furniture book. As well as the [More] Shop Drawings for Craftsman ... books and... well, click on his profile and go to his website.

I welcome your involvement in the forums, Mr. Lang!

Take care, Mike
[even though this isn't WC <g>...]

Chuck Nickerson
10-17-2006, 2:21 PM
As someone who has all of Bob's books and has had the pleasure of talking with him at a show, his participation is greatly appreciated.

Bob Lang
10-17-2006, 3:10 PM
Thanks guys, you're making me blush. By the way the Greene and Greene book should be available about the first of November.

Bob

Alan DuBoff
10-17-2006, 6:10 PM
Thanks guys, you're making me blush. By the way the Greene and Greene book should be available about the first of November.I'll be looking for it Bob. BTW, I keep looking for the finger joint article you said you were going to write, and haven't seen it yet. Is that going to print in PWW soon? I thought you mentioned Oct. before.

Keep up the graat articles in PWW, you guys are doing a great job!

Bob Lang
10-18-2006, 8:10 AM
You may be thinking of the additional info for the joinery on the Stickley side table I made for the November issue. I'm hoping to have it on the Popwood blog today or tomorrow.

Bob Lang