PDA

View Full Version : How do I join this?

Jerry Strojny
10-13-2006, 5:02 PM
The attached pic is very crude, but I hope it shows enough for some assistance. My question is related to how to join the bottom shelf to the legs. First off, the legs will actually be curved on the sides that face out. So, I assume if any machining needs to be done, I should do that before I cut the curves. Alrighty, would it be best to cut a dado in the legs and then cut the corners off the shelf to fit in the dado? do I need anything more than glue in that joint? Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks, Jerry

Dennis Peacock
10-13-2006, 5:14 PM
Jerry,

I would do as you have already stated. Cut a dado in each leg and fit the shelf in there. Just glue with good joinery should be perfect.

Duan Packard
10-13-2006, 5:21 PM
what Dennis said

I did a similar thing for a sofa table and turned out great.

Try to make sure the edges of the table extend past the dado thereby hiding the dado.

Duan

Jerry Strojny
10-13-2006, 5:21 PM
Thanks Dennis,
Sometimes a person just needs to know they are thinking "on the right track".

Jerry Strojny
10-13-2006, 5:26 PM
Duan,
That was going to be my next question...as I sat here thinking. To clarify, are you saying to make like a "U" shape at the corners to help hide the dado? the shelf will wrap just a little around the legs? (The legs are 1 1/4" thick, in case that makes a difference)

Jesse Cloud
10-13-2006, 6:20 PM
If you don't want to put a dado in your legs, just pop in a dowel or peg that extends 1/2 inch or so out. That will support the shelf just fine.

Frank Snyder
10-13-2006, 7:50 PM
I'm sure this will be considered cheating, but you could also use a pocket screw hole from underneath the shelf, joining the shelf corner to the leg (who's going to see?). Fast and easy, but may be frowned upon by some;).

glenn bradley
10-13-2006, 9:48 PM
Just like you said sounds good to me. Straight forward and quick. If you want to get fancy drill 'em from the outside, dowl them and sand flush with a contrasting wood.