PDA

View Full Version : 6" or 8" jointer guard?

Kirk Poore
10-13-2006, 4:00 PM
I bought a General jointer guard from a friend to put on my restored 8" jointer. It was sold to him as for an 8" jointer, but it may be from a 6" jointer. The back edge is 7" wide, though on the diagonal the head can cover the full 8". Could someone out there with a General jointer measure their guard for me? I'd like to see if I can make this work, but don't want to start until I know what I've got--it may affect how I approach the installation.

Note: My jointer is a circa 1920 machine and has never had a guard. I will probably end up drilling a hole through the infeed table, but if I can't make this work I'll go back to my original plan of a plywood guard.

Thanks...

Kirk

glenn bradley
10-13-2006, 9:50 PM
If the machine is otherwise original, I'd use a plywood guard and avoid modifying. That's just me. I'd keep looking for an original style guard.

Kirk Poore
10-14-2006, 10:36 AM
If the machine is otherwise original, I'd use a plywood guard and avoid modifying. That's just me. I'd keep looking for an original style guard.

The machine never had a guard--it's a Hall & Brown from about 1920. H&B did have a jointer guard patent, and the patent guard looks like--the General guard I've got.:) I think the patent was for the mechanism, though. But I haven't figure out the best way to attach it.

Thanks...

Kirk