PDA

View Full Version : Shutter Vanes?

Frank Snyder
10-13-2006, 9:36 AM
Does anyone have any idea how to make the "wing" profile for shutter vanes? I'm sure there's some industrial machine that spits these out faster than I can type this, but is there a method that the ambitious woodworker could try?

Much appreciated,

Frank :)

Laurie Brown
10-13-2006, 10:16 AM
Does anyone have any idea how to make the "wing" profile for shutter vanes? I'm sure there's some industrial machine that spits these out faster than I can type this, but is there a method that the ambitious woodworker could try?

Much appreciated,

Frank :)

Maybe a small bullnose router bit on the edges? Good question. ;)

Greg Sznajdruk
10-13-2006, 10:40 AM
Frank:

Saw Norm make shutters on NYW he made up a jig which he use to cut both stiles at the same time. Try his web site.

Greg

Rich Torino
10-13-2006, 11:13 AM
Try this site...

http://www.woodline.com/scripts/prodList.asp

Carl Eyman
10-13-2006, 11:24 AM
If so, Fine Woodworking had an article on it some 10-12 years ago. You make a form that goes on your planer to hold the stock at an angle. You use it to mill two of the four surfaces then make a second form with twice the angle to mill the other two surfaces. If interested, I'll try to trace down the article for you.

Rich Torino
10-13-2006, 11:31 AM
Sorry Forgot to mention. When you get to the woodline site search on the work shutter....

Rob Diz
10-13-2006, 1:24 PM
I think that episode may be playing this week (or next). I took a look at upcoming shows on my TIVO listing the other day and seem to recall somthing about shutters. Take a look at your guide listings.

Alex Berkovsky
10-13-2006, 4:29 PM
Frank:

Saw Norm make shutters on NYW he made up a jig which he use to cut both stiles at the same time. Try his web site.

GregI saw the episode, too. I have an MPEG of the jig making part.

Frank Snyder
10-13-2006, 7:43 PM
Thanks, everyone. The router bit kit at Woodline looks like it might do the trick. I found the instructions there at http://www.woodline.com/Downloads/Plantation%20Shutters.pdf and they explain everything in full detail. As Monty Burns would say, "exxxxcellent."

This will be one of my first projects once I get my shop finished.

Thanks again!:p

Ben Grunow
10-14-2006, 3:08 PM
Frank- you could just make battens with rounded edges (3/16 x 1 1/2) with 1/8 radius round over on long edges. Anything else would be very complicated. THe only reason I can see for making the wing shape would be for stability over long lengths or if your wife is making you. Just a though. Good luck. Ben