PDA

View Full Version : Which is more safe? Router Safety...

Tim Brooks
10-13-2006, 8:06 AM
After reading about the various injuries using the router, I wanted to ask before I learned the hard way. I need to cut some slots in the ends of some pieces of wood which are 1 1/2" by 1 1/2" by 3". I have been given some really good ideas as to the proper bit to use; however, I cannot find the bit locally. So in light of saving time (waiting for shipping time) I thought about using a straight bit (which I have) on the router table to cut these slots. Is this an absolute no, no?

I feel the pieces are too small to use a plunge base method and that I would have more control if I bring the wood to the bit. Maybe this is just perception.

I have read of the horror stories about the work piece becoming a projectile and taking fingers with it. I DON'T WANT THAT! What is your advice?

Some pictures of what I'm working with are at the bottom of the first page of this post:
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=44091

Nathan Camp
10-13-2006, 8:30 AM
Tim,

I guess you want a through slot for a spline. You could do this on a router table with a fence, but those pieces are small. I would not attempt to hold them by hand.

Make a jig that will hold them flush against the table and fence and provide backing to prevent tearout. Probable 2 jigs, one for the left and one for the right.

Twenty years ago, I was working with a smaller piece on a router table (homemade, i.e. no guard), and the router threw the piece out and two of my fingers came down on the bit. Not a good thing. No major permenant damage. Two things I learned are 1, a guard is good, and 2, never, never, ever try to hold a small piece by hand on a router table. Use a jig or a clamp.

Nathan Camp

pat warner
10-13-2006, 9:24 AM
Tho common, dropping the work down on a spinning cutter on the router is not safe.
Better to start with an oversized blank, one you can fixture & hand rout, and then harvest what you need off that.

Routers (http://www.patwarner.com)