PDA

View Full Version : Protecting Laser Engravable Plastics ?

Al Mutairi
10-13-2006, 7:21 AM
Is there a way to permenantly protect an engraved Rowmark , IPI type plastics ? The thin top layer is easily damaged by as little as finger nail accidently touching it. Anything out there ?

Joe Pelonio
10-13-2006, 8:23 AM
Yeh, you have to be careful stacking up the scraps after removing the protective film. The metals are the worst, especially gloss brushed silver. I have noticed that some scratches can be removed by using turtle wax (paste for cars) on a q-tip. You can try spraying colored laminates with
Krylon Crystal Clear gloss or matte but that would spoil the effect of the metals.

Mike Null
10-13-2006, 10:15 AM
Laser engraving this stuff makes up most of my business. Joe gave you the right answer--be careful. I have a rack with about 20 shelves each to store a different color or thickness. I leave the plastic on until I engrave. I am very careful about storing partial sheets.

There is nothing you can put on which will protect the material from scratches.

I have tried vinyl overlam which works but looks worse than the scratches.

Joe Pelonio
10-13-2006, 10:23 AM
The other thing I do with name plates, badges, and small signs is to place them into plastic zip bags so that they at least get back to the customer's office without scratches. Cheap ones at the grocery store work for some sizes otherwise I buy them in quantity from places like my neighbor Tap Plastics or Uline shipping supplies
http://www.uline.com/Class_01.asp?desc=Bags+Poly+Plastic

Kim Vellore
10-13-2006, 1:26 PM
I use future floor wax on my models which makes it less prone to scratches by handling. Future floor was is nothing but clear gloss acrylic, I usually dip my scratched plastic parts in them and it comes out looking like glass. You might want to try it first on a sample piece and let it dry 24 hrs before rough handling to see if it really works for you.

Kim

Herman Jeroue
10-27-2006, 11:17 PM
Saran Wrap to place over the thin top layer? It clings to the material, is easy to remove and can be used over again. Just a thought.