PDA

View Full Version : router for inlay?

Al Willits
10-12-2006, 11:07 PM
Did the required search and still not sure.
I'd like to get into inlay a bit, and after the David Marks seminar, I'm thinking of making a small round table with some inlay on it as a start.

I'd like to find a smaller router than the PC 895 I have now, and looking at a couple but haven't a clue about them.

The Freud FT1000EK for about $150, Bosch Palm router PR20EVSK for about $119 and the Festool 1010 for about $325.

The Festool is a lot over budget, but looked at one at Woodcraft and it seems nice, would like to spend less money though.
Planning on doing mostly laminate trimming and inlays with it.

Thinking soft start and variable speed might be nice?

Any thoughts??
tia

Al

pat warner
10-12-2006, 11:29 PM
PR-20 (http://patwarner.com/pr20_subbase.html) worth a look.

Doug Shepard
10-13-2006, 7:45 AM
I've had the DeWalt lam trimmer for about 10 years, but if it ever dies I think I'd probably replace it with the PR20EVSK. Don't forget to budget for a good edge guide too or plan on making something yourself. You're going to need something to guide where the inlay channel gets cut.

Mike Weaver
10-13-2006, 7:48 AM
The reviews of the Bosch PR20EVSK that I have seen have been quite positive.

I can't recall the magazine (Woodworker's Journal?), but they reviewed/tested palm routers recently and I think the Bosch came out on top.

Yes, I think soft start and EVS would be nice.

FWIW,
-Mike

Al Willits
10-13-2006, 9:09 AM
Thanks all, the Bosch outlet store has the Bosch PR20EVSK for under a $120 and it comes with a kit that has a edge guide, just might be the way to go.
They also have a factory refurbished one for $100 also.

Al

Jon Shively
10-13-2006, 9:30 AM
I don't mean to hijack or change the thought on this thread, but since it is brought up, would you or do most of you buy remanufactured over new if so or if not why?

Tyler Howell
10-13-2006, 11:24 AM
I don't mean to hijack or change the thought on this thread, but since it is brought up, would you or do most of you buy remanufactured over new if so or if not why?
Use to when cash was tight, but new with warrenttee(SP) manual and all the gagets is prefered these days

Al Willits
10-13-2006, 11:28 AM
Jon, might depend on price, new for $20 more I'd go new, maybe if it was $300 new and $200 remanufactured I'd try the $200.
Depends on warrt and price I think.

Al