PDA

View Full Version : Jewelry Box tray question

Ed Marks
10-19-2003, 9:53 PM
Anyone have any ideas on how to make the things in jewelry boxes to hold rings, earings, etc. I think they are called ring bars. I was thinking of using a number of small rectanges of foam rubber wrapped in velvet and hot gluing them to the tray. Any other ideas for storing small items like earings would be appreciated.

TIA,
Ed

Kevin Gerstenecker
10-19-2003, 10:09 PM
Ed, in the past, I have purchased some Velvet wrapped foam inserts for holding rings in a Jewelry Box. They looked very nice, and it was much easier that trying to figure out some other way that wouldn't have looked nearly as nice. I bought these at Rockler, and they were inexpensive, and added a great look to the drawers where they were placed. I think they come in Red and Blue, but they may have more colors now. Check them out, they just may be what you are looking for. :)

Jim Becker
10-19-2003, 10:11 PM
Hal, if you want to "stack" rings you could glue in a dowel and cover it with the same felt material you are lining the jewelry box, but that may be cumbersome if the ring that is desired is at the bottom of the stack! What I did in the project I did for SWMBO a couple of years ago (shown below) is to make some dividers out of 1/8" stock. This provides separation for small objects, yet allows for easy access to anything in each section. The sliding trays in the lower drawer provide similar function and better space utilization.

For earrings, my wife prefers a "tree" for those that will hang, but keeps hookless ones in the compartments spoken about above.

Dave Richards
10-29-2003, 1:08 PM
Years ago I made some when I was working for a fellow who was doing some production jewelry boxes. He had a design where he made a wooden channel--basically a groove about 3/4" deep and 1" wide. This channel was cut to length as needed for the specific model we were making. Then a couple of pieces of foam 1/2" thick by 1" by as long as the channel were inserted and glued at the bottom. A piece of velvet was laid over the top of the foam and pushed down into the slot between the two pieces of foam with a thin smooth slat of wood. Then the velvet was pulled around the channel and glued in place on the bottom.

It took a little practice to pull the velvet with the same tension all the way along but it wasn't hard. If the tension varied as you wrapped the velvet the rounded top of the ring tray would undulate a bit.

Easier to do than to tell about.

chris toomey
11-03-2003, 4:14 PM
hal,

i made a spice cabinet/jewelery cabinet for my mother. what i did was bought them. i have a friend that is a jeweler. they get catalogs just like woodworking catalogs...everything you can imagine in them. i bought the padded ring display board just like you see in the jewelery stores. i used 2. i built stackable trays for them and put in the bottom drawer. you could go to a jeweler and ask for one. i thought it was the most professional lookin way to do it

chris

Dave Cohen
10-03-2008, 10:00 AM
Anyone have any ideas on how to make the things in jewelry boxes to hold rings, earings, etc. I think they are called ring bars. I was thinking of using a number of small rectanges of foam rubber wrapped in velvet and hot gluing them to the tray. Any other ideas for storing small items like earings would be appreciated.

TIA,
Ed

look here: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=42777