PDA

View Full Version : Another box

Doug Jones
10-19-2003, 8:03 PM
Here is my fourth box. Made from spalted maple (I think) and walnut. I believe it is another fine combination of woods. I still need to put a finish on it yet. And I only had to refer to the plans twice this time.

Terry Quiram
10-19-2003, 8:42 PM
Doug

How about one without the Walnut top rim, with a Walnut lid and Maple handle. I love the look of spalted maple and you put this one together very well. Nice transisition around the corner.

Terry

Lloyd Robins
10-19-2003, 8:53 PM
Very nice! Keep it up.

Jim Baker
10-19-2003, 8:58 PM
Very nice, Doug. I'm really liking the contrasting woods that more and more people are using now.

Jim Becker
10-19-2003, 9:43 PM
Great job, Doug. You did a really nice job on the grain-wrap, too. (I screwed one up awhile ago after taking great pains to try and keep things in order...the look was destroyed so that box is in the shop holding 2" sanding disks near the lathe...)

I really do like the contrast between the spalted maple and the walnut. Its' a wonderful look.

Jim Young
10-19-2003, 9:48 PM
Looks great Doug. I made one out of spalted maple before and finished it with oil. I kept putting more oil on since it was soaking in. What a mistake. It made the comtrast from light wood to dark wood less. Let us know how you finish it.

Gord Graff
10-19-2003, 9:52 PM
Hi Doug,

I have really enjoyed seeing the boxes you've made. The last one you posted I saved and I'm going to attempt one of my own. I can only hope that it comes out half as good as your's. Very nice work and choice of materials, post a pic when the finish is on this one please.

All the best
Gord

Kevin Gerstenecker
10-19-2003, 10:12 PM
Doug, nice work on that box! I can see now that I need to get back to the flat work! I have a couple of Boxes in the works now, maybe by the weekend, I will have something to show for my efforts. Looking good Doug...............are ya having fun yet! :D
By the way, that Spalting is just awesome! ;)

Julie Wright
10-20-2003, 7:26 AM
That is one fine looking box. The spalted maple is really beautiful. Nice contrast with the walnut. I've made one of those too, but not nearly as nice. Now i'm in to the turning thing. Have to get back to the flat stuff.. :D :D

Pete Lamberty
10-20-2003, 10:47 AM
Hi Doug, Nice job on the box. How about if you change the handle and handle supports to a more angular shape. I think being curvilinear they don't tie in well with the boxes feet. Can you come up with something that would make the handles' supports look similiar to the feet? I think this would visually tie the whole object together better. Or you could make the feet just like the handle supports. Pete

Ted Shrader
10-20-2003, 11:06 AM
Doug -

Very nice selection of wood/grain/proportions.

Plans are just a starting point . . . a place to make variations from.

Ted