PDA

View Full Version : ? on Makita 5057KB Circular Saw

Hoa Dinh
10-12-2006, 2:29 PM
Why does this saw cost so much? About twice as other "name brand" circular saws (PC, Bosch, ..., and even Makita).

I realize it is marketed as "specifically designed for cutting fiber-cement materials." Can it be used to cut wood (with appropriate blade of course)?

I have a chance to get a Makita 5057KB for about $130, and wonder whether I should use it instead of my current PC325MAG. I know the Makita doesn't have a brake. But if its dust collection is greatly superior to the PC, I may be able to live without a brake.

I use the circular saw mainly inside the shop to cut sheetgoods with the EZ Smart system (that's why the interest in dust collection), but once in a while I use the circular saw "naked" for carpentry works outdoors.

http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/P/B00004YODW.01._AA280_SCLZZZZZZZ_V61338159_.jpg

Jon Eckels
10-12-2006, 3:56 PM
Yes it will cut wood, and nicely too. the specifically designed for cement board note is really because of the dust collection. Makitas are also nice because they tend to be quieter than other saws.

I owned a Makita 5007 which is very similar to the 5057. I used it with the EZ Guide, but found that it was lacking when it came to being able to precisely adjust the blade to square against the base. Not to mention the lack of the brake.

I decided to get the MAG325, and have been very very happy with it. I now use the Makita for quick cuts for framing, etc, and use the MAG as my EZ saw. The Mag can be easily modified to have excellent Dust Collection. For more information about that, check out eurekazone's website.

Gary Keedwell
10-12-2006, 5:58 PM
Yes it will cut wood, and nicely too. the specifically designed for cement board note is really because of the dust collection. Makitas are also nice because they tend to be quieter than other saws.

I owned a Makita 5007 which is very similar to the 5057. I used it with the EZ Guide, but found that it was lacking when it came to being able to precisely adjust the blade to square against the base. Not to mention the lack of the brake.

I decided to get the MAG325, and have been very very happy with it. I now use the Makita for quick cuts for framing, etc, and use the MAG as my EZ saw. The Mag can be easily modified to have excellent Dust Collection. For more information about that, check out eurekazone's website.
Jon, Could you elborate on the MAG 325? Who makes it?
Thanx, Gary K.

Burt Waddell
10-12-2006, 6:09 PM
Hoa,

I think the reason for the cost of the 5057KB is two fold - The dust box and also all the bearings and switches are sealed.

I bought mine specifically for the EZ rails and really enjoy it. I don't think that I have ever hooked a vacuum to it. It does catch a good portion of the dust. I'll have to try it with a vac to see what it will do.

I use it mostly for on site work while doing installition of kitchens.

Also to comment on what Jon had to say, I also have the Makita 5007 set for the EZ Rails and find that it performs well.

Burt

Jerry White
10-12-2006, 6:13 PM
Gary,

I'm not Jon, but it may be a while until he visits again, so I will try to supply info on the Mag 325. The saw is made by Porter-Cable, has an electric brake, and features good dust collection capability. See this link: http://www.porter-cable.com/index.asp?e=547&p=5223

Jerry

Hoa Dinh
10-12-2006, 6:29 PM
Hoa,

I think the reason for the cost of the 5057KB is two fold - The dust box and also all the bearings and switches are sealed.

I bought mine specifically for the EZ rails and really enjoy it. I don't think that I have ever hooked a vacuum to it. It does catch a good portion of the dust. I'll have to try it with a vac to see what it will do.

I use it mostly for on site work while doing installition of kitchens.

Also to comment on what Jon had to say, I also have the Makita 5007 set for the EZ Rails and find that it performs well.

Burt
Thanks, Burt.

So, in your opinion, for a home workshop such as mine, the 5057KB does not have any advantage over the 325MAG? In fact, the 325MAG is better thanks to its brake?

As stated, I currently have a 325MAG with an "EZSmartized" dust port, and use it mostly with the EZ System, hooked up to a Fein Mini-Turbo. It looks like I'm gonna let the 5057KB go.

Burt Waddell
10-12-2006, 7:13 PM
Hoa,

For the way you would use the saw and considering the fact that you already have a Mag 325, I don't see where you would have a anything to gain. I use the Makita mainly where normal dust collection would be difficult, if not impossible.

Burt

Gary Keedwell
10-12-2006, 11:08 PM
Gary,

I'm not Jon, but it may be a while until he visits again, so I will try to supply info on the Mag 325. The saw is made by Porter-Cable, has an electric brake, and features good dust collection capability. See this link: http://www.porter-cable.com/index.asp?e=547&p=5223

Jerry
Jerry,

Thanks, I watched the video, looks like something I would be interested in.

Gary K.