PDA

View Full Version : Cyclone Comparisions

Chris Jenkins
10-12-2006, 12:58 PM
Currently I have a JET 2Hp DC 1200. I'd really love to get a ClearVue, but 1333 for the DC + $ for filters is really killing me (seems that ClearVue price just keeps going up).

I saw the cyclone seprator in a review and went to the web page

http://www.cycloneseparator.com/index2.html

has anyone played with one of these? I did a search and saw that someone wrote up a good review on how to tweak this bad boy and improve the performance, but being that I don't have a welder or know anyone that does, this doesn't seem to be an option for me.

For about 200 bucks this seems like good investment. 1100 cheaper than the best. Granted I know it isn't a Pentz design. But shouldn't the cyclone be an improvement over the stock Jet unit?

Anyone feel this thing isn worth a try? I know I have to buy filters either way, I was thinking of getting the correct filters from Wynn.

Chris

Glen Gunderson
10-12-2006, 1:46 PM
$1333 is the price of all of the Clearvue components if bought seperately. Complete units are $995 shipped. I'm not sure how you missed that, it's in big bold writing right below the regular price.

Chris Jenkins
10-12-2006, 1:59 PM
Sorry, did a quick flip from one screen to the next and grabbed the wrong price, as I couldn't remember it off the top of my head. Yes, 995 makes it more managable. Still looking for some opinions though.

Chris

Ken Garlock
10-12-2006, 2:46 PM
Several years ago I assembled a cyclone kit using the Pentz design. It was straight forward enough, and it was the only kit available. Today, I would give strong consideration to the Clear Vue cyclone, and cut out the middle man, me.

Barry Burgess
10-12-2006, 3:05 PM
Chris I started out by adding filters to my DC but in the end decided to make a cyclone using a flower pot bought from Ikea and broke most of Bill's rules but it works . The cyclone its self cost less than $50 the flower pot being most of that. Hope this helps from over the pond
Barry

Mike Weaver
10-12-2006, 3:55 PM
Several years ago I assembled a cyclone kit using the Pentz design. It was straight forward enough, and it was the only kit available. Today, I would give strong consideration to the Clear Vue cyclone, and cut out the middle man, me.

Ditto, ditto & ditto!

Besides, Bill Pentz I believe gets a small royalty through them that he deserves.

YMMV, no affiliation, yada yada...etc
-Mike

Greg Sznajdruk
10-12-2006, 5:40 PM
Currently I have a JET 2Hp DC 1200. I'd really love to get a ClearVue, but 1333 for the DC + $ for filters is really killing me (seems that ClearVue price just keeps going up).

I saw the cyclone seprator in a review and went to the web page

http://www.cycloneseparator.com/index2.html

has anyone played with one of these? I did a search and saw that someone wrote up a good review on how to tweak this bad boy and improve the performance, but being that I don't have a welder or know anyone that does, this doesn't seem to be an option for me.

For about 200 bucks this seems like good investment. 1100 cheaper than the best. Granted I know it isn't a Pentz design. But shouldn't the cyclone be an improvement over the stock Jet unit?

Anyone feel this thing isn worth a try? I know I have to buy filters either way, I was thinking of getting the correct filters from Wynn.

Chris

Chris:

Could you direct us to the write up?

Greg

Jim A. Smith
10-12-2006, 7:33 PM
Interesting topic.

Justin Dreier
10-12-2006, 10:00 PM
Chris - I purchased and installed the cyclone separator you refer to. Here is a post that has some detail on it.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=42272

The two key modifications that I did on this unit did not require a welder. A straight edge screwdriver, a pop rivit tool and an angle grinder. Adding a neutral vane doesn't even require taking the unit apart. Simply cut a 6" HVAC pipe so that it slips inside of the 6" inlet. Slide it in and rivit it to hold it solid.

The outlet tub that goes from the top down into the cone is too long. You need to take the top off to shorten that tube. simply bend the thin metal crimped around the top and the top comes off. Seal it up good and crimp the metal rim back on.

If you have specific questions, let me know. I'm really extremely pleased with this setup. It's not a clearvue and won't likely separate fine dust quite as well, but it does a nice job after the mods. The wynn filters keep the shop nice and clean.

The pics were taken before the shop was cleaned up.

Andy Howard
10-12-2006, 11:20 PM
Chris:

Could you direct us to the write up?

Greg

Here is my original review and write up.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=22907

Andy

Bryan Cowing
10-13-2006, 7:30 AM
I built the Pentz cyclone for $50 worth of sheet metal. By having the metal rolled and folded where I bought the sheet metal, construction time was about 8 hours. I have upgraded bags on the old Grizzly 3 hp collector, and the Pentz cyclone does an amazing job at sepatating out the dust. I see no reason to have an all in one unit. I mounted my DC up on the wall to gain valuable floor space.48423

Barry Burgess
10-13-2006, 1:40 PM
I built the Pentz cyclone for $50 worth of sheet metal. By having the metal rolled and folded where I bought the sheet metal, construction time was about 8 hours. I have upgraded bags on the old Grizzly 3 hp collector, and the Pentz cyclone does an amazing job at sepatating out the dust. I see no reason to have an all in one unit. I mounted my DC up on the wall to gain valuable floor space.
Bryan their is one major difference - I am a woodworker with no metal work experience. Ikea flower pot provided me a cone which I would have been unable to make myself. Used my jigsaw and a tin snip only.
Barry

Barry Burgess
10-13-2006, 3:08 PM
I also built a muffler but out of PVC - made a big differece to the noise level

Barry Burgess
10-13-2006, 3:11 PM
Here is my little 6" that I am about to complete. Hope to test it this weekend.

Steve Roxberg
10-13-2006, 7:29 PM
$1333 is the price of all of the Clearvue components if bought seperately. Complete units are $995 shipped. I'm not sure how you missed that, it's in big bold writing right below the regular price.

Am I correct that the complete unit you mentioned does NOT include the filters which would set you back another $300? I' like the Clearvue, but the price still seems a little high.