PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Quality Info

Joe Blankshain
10-12-2006, 11:15 AM
I am getting ready to order some Mini Max equipment. In specific I am ordering a S315 Sliding Tablesaw, MM24 Bandsaw and FS41 Elite Jointer/Planer. I got bite by the Euro bug while at IWF and after buying my Robland X31 combo machine. As this is a hobby for me at this point and I am getting all of the shop equipment in place and honing skills before I retire (5 years) I am looking for some information from owners of this equipment. I know that Marty has the TS, Paul Cresti has the BS and Tod and/or Marc Singer may have the FS41. I have not seen any of them on the Creek for a while and would like to query the rest of the Forum for information. I have valued the above mentioned individuals "expert" opinions and hope that they get back to me on this request.

Don Baer
10-12-2006, 12:30 PM
I am getting ready to order some Mini Max equipment. In specific I am ordering a S315 Sliding Tablesaw, MM24 Bandsaw and FS41 Elite Jointer/Planer. I got bite by the Euro bug while at IWF and after buying my Robland X31 combo machine. As this is a hobby for me at this point and I am getting all of the shop equipment in place and honing skills before I retire (5 years) I am looking for some information from owners of this equipment. I know that Marty has the TS, Paul Cresti has the BS and Tod and/or Marc Singer may have the FS41. I have not seen any of them on the Creek for a while and would like to query the rest of the Forum for information. I have valued the above mentioned individuals "expert" opinions and hope that they get back to me on this request.

Joe,
I don't have any min max equiptment so I can't help there but some of the creekers you mentioned have been missing in action. I know Mark is on a trip, but Paul hasn't posted in quit some time and Marty's hasn't been around all week and and I haven't seen much of tod lately either, makes one wonder whats happening to the flow here at the creek.

Richard Wolf
10-12-2006, 4:28 PM
You will have to wait for Mark Singer to return. I think we will all be hard pressed to get information form tod, Marty and Paul.

Richard

Mark Singer
10-12-2006, 6:16 PM
I do have the Elite S combo with the Mortiser. I bought it to increse my face jointing capacity to 16" from the 8" I was limited to with the DJ 20. It is an efficient machine. It takes up less space than my previous jointer and planer and has more power and produces very fine output. The Mortiser is a wonderful help and is accurate with conrol and limits ir stops in all three dimensions. The switch over from jointer to planer is well undera minute and effortless. I have the electric bed and the digital readout is great ! It allows for repeating the same thickness easily. This will require 3 phase, but it is well worth the extra effort and expense... Nothing but great reports from me! Sam and Jim at MM are wonderful! I highly reccomend the MM stuff.

Mike Wenzloff
10-12-2006, 6:57 PM
Hi Mark, please pardon my ignorance. Is the mortiser a slot mortiser?

Thanks, Mike

Travis Porter
10-12-2006, 7:16 PM
I just got the MM24 (last week). It is heavy and well built overall IMO. Mine got damaged some in shipping, and I am waiting for replacement parts quite eagerly. I would like to think I would get them this week as I emailed Sam about the parts last Friday so we will see.

Cons (so far) -
miter guage is not worth the cost, don't waste your money.

Mobility kit doesn't work real well. A friend recommended getting adjustable casters from zambus.com which I intend to do to keep it somewhat mobile. They have studded casters that will fit right into the leveler slots, but they are expensive. Around $150 for 4.

Table is pretty low, around 34 inches.

I would still buy it again.

Joe Blankshain
10-12-2006, 8:23 PM
Thanks for all the input. I am still hoping that Tod, Paul or Marty can give me some info on the TS.
Welcome back from the travel, Marc. Hope your trip went well and was profitable. I may be in Sothrn Ca in the next few weeks and hope that I can impose and get a look at your machine in action.
Travis, thanks for the information and hope that your issues are resolved quickly.

Gary Herrmann
10-12-2006, 8:54 PM
I don't have the MM24, I've got the MM16. After "borrowing" a neighbor's bandsaw off and on I decided to get one two years ago. I almost bought the Powermatic 14" but happened to get a quarterly bonus that allowed me to get the MM16 relatively painlessly.

Set up was easy and straightforward. Dead flat table. Coplaner wheels. No problems of any kinds except putting on a twist-lock pigtail, and thats just because I really don't like electrical work.

I was over at my neighbor's house a few months back when he was bandsawing some stock on his Delta 14". He's mentioned coming over to my house for resawing wide exotics.

I envy you your choices. My retirement is a ways off, but I hope to do something similar some day. You won't be sorry with your choices and please post pics.

Companies like Minimax and Lee Valley have delighted me with their customer service.

Roy Wall
10-12-2006, 9:13 PM

Thanks, Mike

Mike, Yes indeed.

I'll chime in for Mr. Singer as I have the little brother, the FS35 - a 14" j/p combo with slot mortiser.

The mortising bits are inserted into the jaws of the knife drum and the table can be adjusted in all three x y z azis, it has a little CI table (around 15 x 20" I suppose). There is up to 6-8-10" of travel for routing out the width of a mortise.

I put a larger MDF table on it to allow more clamping power for holding various length components.

My mortiser is on the front of the machine, while (I believe) the 41 elite has it on the back side.....

Charlie Plesums
10-12-2006, 10:09 PM
I have the MiniMax CU410 Elite 5 function combo and the old model MM24 bandsaw. I upgraded from cheap equipment so that I could retire (early) to full time woodworking. I love the equipment... outstanding value, excellent quality, nice folks to work with (but I am in Austin, so I have gotten to know most of them in person).

I'm not sure what your question is about quality.

The MM bandsaws are made by Centauro in Italy. They make what is probably the best industrial strength bandsaw...but MiniMax is constantly dinging them about fit and finish. If there is a burr on something sold to a factory, it is filed off before the boss or purchasing gets involved, but an individual like you or me (or so many people on the forums) feel like we are being cheated if it isn't perfect and polished when we get it, after we pay the big bucks. MiniMax is very helpful and stands behind what they sell, but some people complain on the forums before they call their salesman, which may raise quality questions.

Cast iron is amazingly flexible, and I often read of people who tightened all the screws, then wonder why their tables aren't flat, when the screws are used to adjust table flatness. But I have also heard of MiniMax replacing tables or paying to have them ground flat when the screw adjustments aren't adequate.

Mark Singer
10-13-2006, 6:23 PM

Thanks, Mike

Yes Mike a slot mortiser it is!

Jim Becker
10-13-2006, 10:15 PM
I have "fondled" Mark's new toy and it's a beauty! I'm enamored with my FS350 J/P, but that Elite is the bee's-knees! If I had the space and means, I'd have the slider in my shop, too, although probably the next version down ordered custom with the long slider. (best for my personal needs)

I have always been more than pleased with the company and products. Both the J/P and BS I own are top-notch.

Congrats on your upcoming buy!

Joe Blankshain
10-14-2006, 7:17 PM
Thanks to all that have responded. I am still looking for Paul or Tod to chime in as I value thier opinions as well as those that have responded. Thanks again.