PDA

View Full Version : Kreg System

Chris Jenkins
10-12-2006, 9:41 AM
So I'm considering a pocket hole system. Why? I have no idea, I guess to add just one more tool to the arsenal. I like using my biscuit jointer when it comes to fast and cheap joints.

I get the Woodpecker's newsletter and they are advertising a new "R3" system. Guess it is for the DIY-er, at least that is the going sales pitch.

http://www.woodpeck.com/kregr3.html

Looks like they tried to make alignment a little easier. I was thinking of trying the Rocket system, but maybe this is a bit faster to setup. I figure for $40...

Any thoughts

Byron Trantham
10-12-2006, 9:58 AM
You just can't beat pocket holes for case jointing. You can use them everywhere because of visibility but I not run into too many situations where they can't be used. Their fact and accurate. If you intend to use them a lot, I recommend that you use a corded drill. I used my 14.4 for a long time before I bought a corded drill and I wish I had done it sooner.

Dan Clark
10-12-2006, 10:05 AM
... I recommend that you use a corded drill. I used my 14.4 for a long time before I bought a corded drill and I wish I had done it sooner.

Byron,

Why a corded drill?

Thanks,

Dan.

Eddie Darby
10-12-2006, 10:07 AM
You don't sound like you will be doing many holes, so this small unit might just be the perfect way to get started. I have the more expensive bigger unit with a small side unit, but have yet to use the smaller unit. I love the job this unit does!

Hoa Dinh
10-12-2006, 10:08 AM
Note that you still need at least a clamp. Almost any clamp will work but a face clamp makes life much easier.

So it may not be just $40....

As I remember, the Kreg Rocket Pocket jig doesn't cost much more, and it includes a face clamp.

Byron Trantham
10-12-2006, 10:15 AM
Byron,

Why a corded drill?

Thanks,

Dan.

Two reasons. First, if you are drilling many holes the battery gives out. Second, a battery operated drill doesn't spin fast enough. I bought a 3/8" corded drill and the results are much better.

Chris Jenkins
10-12-2006, 10:25 AM
I saw the Rocket only costs about 10 more and it does come with the clamp. I thought I had a similar type welding clamp, but who knows where it is these days...

I guess I like the little alignment arms on the R3. Mostly cause I don't know how to align this little guy yet. Can't be that hard...

Right now my only purpose to try one of these out is to make some shop cabinets and I figure this is a great place to practice...

Kent Fitzgerald
10-12-2006, 10:25 AM
Chris, I've been using the Rocket for a while, and it's my tool of choice for quick and easy joints on utilitarian projects.

I think you'll want a face clamp with the R3. Woodpeckers has an e-mail special on the face clamp for $14, which makes the R3 + face clamp exactly the same price as the the Rocket.

Bartee Lamar
10-12-2006, 10:27 AM
Almost everyone that gets the Kreg system is surprised at the number of things it can be used for.

This is especially true for shop jigs, internal bracing and face plates.

I highly recommend the complete set not just the "rocket".

The biggest trick when screwing piece together is to make sure they are clamped tightly so they do not slip as the connection is being made with the screw.

Scott Loven
10-12-2006, 10:30 AM
Two reasons. First, if you are drilling many holes the battery gives out. Second, a battery operated drill doesn't spin fast enough. I bought a 3/8" corded drill and the results are much better.
The corded drill spins faster, drills faster, gets done faster, and consequently generates less heat. The bit lasts longer. This is according to Kreg, I think that if you do a few holes at a time , it shouldn't matter.
Scott

PS: The clamp is very handy. I would get the R2

Kent Fitzgerald
10-12-2006, 10:34 AM
I agree. Kreg recommends about 2,000 RPM, and I find the higher speed just seems to work more smoothly. Besides, I had an older, high-speed drill with a keyed chuck that I didn't use much, so it stays pretty much permanently chucked up with the Kreg bit.

Tim Burke
10-12-2006, 1:07 PM
I just received the K3 from Amazon last week. I will need it for part of a large project that I am doing right now. The R3 would have been sufficient, but I like how the K3 can work with a variety of spacing configurations. Not sure that I need that feature, but I thought it seemed like a good idea.

Kreg has a very nice web site. You might want to look at it, especially the product comparison http://kregtool.com/products/comp_charts/pht.php

Regarding the drill speed, this is from the Kreg FAQs on their website:

Why do I need to use a 2,000+ rpm drill to make the pocket holes? What brand do you recommend?
A drill that is rated at 2,000 RPM or above is considered a woodworking drill. RPM's below that are normally seen in metal-working drills. The higher the RPM, the cleaner the hole and the longer the drill bit lasts. A 1,500 RPM drill will do the trick, but you will see slightly more wear on the bit over time. Most of the major tool manufacturers produce a drill above 2,000 RPM

Larry James
10-12-2006, 3:16 PM
1) Lot of holes - corded drill. 14.4 volt works for my needs.
2) Face clamp will make a a difference.
3) The more you use the pocket jig the more ways you find to use it. Some work well, others are a waste of time.

Larry

glenn bradley
10-12-2006, 5:19 PM
I only have the mini and do love it when a pocket hole is what I need. I don't use them all the time but the $40 K3 does look easier to register and has the two hole vs. one is you're doing face frames. I have been thinking on getting one as well for no particular reason except: the drill bit is almost $20 by itself and I could use a spare, I'd get a second clamp (although they aren't the best quality) and the registration doo-hicky would work better than my felt tip marker slashes.

Correction - no clamp included, hmmmmmm.

P.s. Yes on the corded drill. My higher speed POS B&D corded does a better job than my beloved Makita or DeWalt cordless.

Scott Thornton
10-12-2006, 6:30 PM
I wouldn't even mess around with the smaller one...the big kit isn't that expensive and it will cover about every situation...

My vote for a corded drill too...