PDA

View Full Version : big boy rikon

CORY FETZER
10-12-2006, 7:36 AM
got the new woodcraft mag today and i see a big rikon 20in over bed and think 42 in length due out late october anyone seen this yet.

Mark Pruitt
10-12-2006, 7:59 AM
Funny that it would be in the WC mag when there is no hint of it on Rikon's own website.:rolleyes: I'll be eager to give it a hard look when it does come out. Was the article a detailed review or just an announcement?

John Timberlake
10-12-2006, 9:43 AM
I saw an ad for it on www.thewoodworkingchannel.com (http://www.thewoodworkingchannel.com) but could not find it the Rikon web site. Apparently a re-issue of a Woodfast lathe. Anyone who tries one out, let us know what you think.

Ben Rafael
10-12-2006, 10:11 AM
Price is supposedly over $3000, which IMO makes it "what's the point?"

Don Baer
10-12-2006, 10:22 AM
Price is supposedly over $3000, which IMO makes it "what's the point?"

Exactly, At that price point it is trying to compete with Mustard or Mayo.

Ben Rafael
10-12-2006, 11:06 AM
I also was not impressed by all the lemon rikon minis.

Mark Pruitt
10-12-2006, 11:17 AM
Exactly, At that price point it is trying to compete with Mustard or Mayo.
Hard to believe that they could price it that high, but I'll keep an open mind until I see it up close and personal. At 3 Gs it'll have to have a sliding headstock with the ability to turn large bowls by sliding the HS all the way to the right end, and include a special tool rest for such. That, among other very nice features, would have to be there to sway my thinking in favor of the Rikon.

Jerry Clark
10-12-2006, 11:27 AM
If it is the same quality as the other Rikon tools, the price will have to be around $1,000 to sell. I have a Rikon BS and it is OK but not a quality tool. They probably set a high MSRP and then give you a discount so you think you have a bargain. :rolleyes:

Mike Vickery
10-12-2006, 11:28 AM
Rikkon bought the rights to the Woodfast name a while ago, but I doubt seriously that it is the same lathe. With the specs this lathe is definately to compete with the PM 3520. I own a Woodfast machine with about these spec but if I was buying new I would take the mustard over the Rikkon at least for right now.
That being said I always think competition is a good thing and I have seen much more competition in 16 inch swing lathes than the 20 inch ones so I am glad to see it.

CORY FETZER
10-12-2006, 3:41 PM
this was not an article but an announcement/ad just wandered if anyone else saw it not in the market for a big boy yet when i am if im spending 3g itll pe a powermatic or such

Hideki Sherman
10-19-2006, 8:24 PM
I have the Rikon product brochure and it shows their new 20" lathe. While the headstock is fixed, they did set it up for outboard turning. The spindle size on the ouboard is 1-1/4" x 8tpi left hand thread. Electronic variable speed (still need to reposition belt to use available ranges though) not a true vs lathe. It has a 2hp motor, 115 volt. Model # 70-500. Hope this helps.

Mark Pruitt
11-03-2006, 12:03 PM
I notice that the new Rikon lathe is now posted on their website.
http://www.rikontools.com/Products/Lathes/70-500.htm

....but I do not see anyone carrying it yet. Am I missing something or just being an eager beaver?:rolleyes:

BTW I emailed Rikon yesterday but have not heard from them.

Charles E. Martin V
11-03-2006, 1:09 PM
That doesn't make any sense. Does anyone even make an insert for 1 1/4" x 8TPI LH?

Lloyd Frisbee
11-03-2006, 1:24 PM
It is 230 volt and the current price at Woodcraft is $2999.00. At that price mustard will still be the preferred option.

Mark Pruitt
11-03-2006, 1:30 PM
the current price at Woodcraft is $2999.00.
So that turns out to be fact, not rumor? You're right, Mustard is indeed the preferred choice in that case, unless this fella has something going for 'im that I'm not seeing in the flyer.

Jonathon Spafford
11-03-2006, 1:55 PM
Maybe this lathe has an auto-pilot feature that turns Stinson hollow forms :D :D

Mike Vickery
11-03-2006, 4:19 PM
It certainly looks almost the same as my Woodfast 910.
The only differenence I see are

Rikon version has a visible gear window
Rikon list 1 1/4 LH 8TPI outboard and I am pretty sure mine has 1x8tpi outboard
I do not see where the variable speed controller is on the Rikon
They have built in spot for a sand bag shelf my Woodfast does not (wish it did)
Obviously it is what is inside that counts though. If they have kept everything the same the original Woodfast is a great lathe that I think is in the same class as the PM 3520. However with the PM's digital read out, sliding headstock, reverse capability and great reputation I think it still beats it.

Andy Hoyt
11-03-2006, 5:15 PM
I think that cantilivered outboard tool rest is an issue needing redesign.

I also find it interesting that nowhere have I found mention of the lathe's ability to spin both clockwise and counterclockwise. A lathe of this sort really should be able to spin both ways.

Kurt Rosenzweig
11-03-2006, 5:49 PM
And it has 5 speeds positions belt wise.That means you have to mess with the belt more often. The PM only has 2 choice's. Hi 125-3200 and low 50-1200 and to be honest rarely move it off the low end. They might want to take a grand off it to compete with the PM. Even then i'd take a 1624 over it. You gotta wonder who made this decision. Definitely didn't do they're research.

Mark Pruitt
11-03-2006, 7:32 PM
Wow. Among all of us, we've already started a pretty solid tool review it seems. I'm completely incredulous about the price. My guess is that they will either (1) clip a grand off the price, (2) make a major redesign, or (3) discontinue it altogether. Unless, like I said before, there is something to it that none of us seem to be picking up on (which I doubt).

Sean Troy
11-03-2006, 7:48 PM
They need to drop that price buy about a grand before it's going to sell.

Jim Becker
11-03-2006, 8:08 PM
Question...what would the equivalent Woodfast have sold for under the original name??? Anyone know?

Mike Vickery
11-03-2006, 8:45 PM
Question...what would the equivalent Woodfast have sold for under the original name??? Anyone know?

I was told by the guy that sold me my Woodfast 910 that looks like what that model was cloned from that he paid about $4000 for it about 4 years ago at Craft Supplies USA. I paid $800 for it used.

Not sure if prices have went down since then in general or not, or if alot of the features that are being discussed were not around then (before my time).

I have a feeling it was state of the art at the time and Rikon just has not updated to reflect the changes that have heppened in high end lathesin the last 4 or 5 years.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=43366
Harbor freight seems to have some from a model or 2 down ( no variable spleed only 1 hp motor does not mention outboard) for $1,500.00. Found it while looking for the manual for my lathe.

mike marconi
11-03-2006, 9:16 PM
Looks alot like this (http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=43366) except different color and slightly different specs.