PDA

View Full Version : My new 25 yr LN 4 1/2-Investment or user?

Phil Winn
10-11-2006, 11:46 PM
My wife just gave me a Lie-Nielsen 4 1/2 HAF Cocobolo 25 year Plane!
It is sealed in a plastic bag....wondering do the Limited Edition LN Planes
"really" go up in value if unused? My guess is that they may go up a few % of the years, perhaps the same as a Bank Account Interest Rate, but not good as the stock market (75 year average...)....
Are these really meant for us woodworkers who want to feel special, by using a "special" tool which "YOU" don't have? Bottom line, Do I keep this all wrapped-up & sealed and buy another one for using? Or just
use this plane and hopefully make some shavings?
Thanks,
Phil

Mike Wenzloff
10-12-2006, 12:30 AM
Depends. Do you want to use it?

If it were here, it would already have scratches on at least the sole...

Take care, Mike

Bob Hallowell
10-12-2006, 1:39 AM
If I could afford one, and If I got it today, It would have been opened and used before I tpye anything one the net.

Bob

Alan DuBoff
10-12-2006, 2:02 AM
Bottom line, Do I keep this all wrapped-up & sealed and buy another one for using? Or just use this plane and hopefully make some shavings?This is a serious question, right?

Don't you think your wife got it for you to use?:confused:

Phil Winn
10-12-2006, 6:33 AM
Alan D., yes it is a serious question. After rereading my question after
yours, I can understand what you are asking. I was planning on buying one myself (the plain one); before getting one from my wife. Yes, $400.00 is a bunch of nunch of money. When I called LV after receiving mine, and asking about the collectability , I guess, my mind was thinking "well perhaps I shouldn't use this investment piece"...then I came to SMC and read an earilier post about these LN 25 year planes...abouit keeping one 25 years and seeing the value....etc, etc....we do have children....

Thanks,
Phil

PS: I will be dead in 25 years !

Eric Commarato
10-12-2006, 8:10 AM
I have no idea why L-N planes sell for more on a certain internet auction site than you can buy them from L-N for, and these planes are not collector editions. Can anyone explane (no pun intended) that to me???

Derek Cohen
10-12-2006, 8:26 AM
Phil

This is just my take.

When my Anniversary #4 1/2 arrives, it will be tuned up and used. I will look after it, as I do all my tools, and I expect that it will remain in excellent (but used) condition. If I chose to sell it in 5 .. 10 .. 20.. years time I will make a "profit" which ever way you wish to look at it. In part this will be financial, since the least I will get is my money back. But I estimate, based on the history of the LN bronze #9. that this bronze #4 1/2 will be worth several times its cost price. More importantly, the profit lies in the years of pleasure I will receive using it. If I were simply buying the plane as an investment, there would be more appropriate avenues to consider. The fact that it will appreciate in value while I get use from it is a bonus, not the reason for its purchase.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Brent Anderson
10-12-2006, 9:17 AM
Use it.

The value to your kids will be far more as "Dad's plane" than it will as a Lie Nielsen anniversary plane.

Eddie Darby
10-12-2006, 9:57 AM
I'm going to wait for Lie-Nielsen to come out with their 50 year solid gold #8 jointer! :D :cool: :cool: :cool:

Can anyone tell me what the book value is on those Elvis Presley commemorative plates?

If you have two, one used and one wrapped, it should make for an interesting pair in 25 years time.

Alan DuBoff
10-12-2006, 10:37 AM
Alan D., yes it is a serious question. After rereading my question after
yours, I can understand what you are asking.Phil,

I was a bit tongue-n-cheek, but honestly, tune that puppy up and start shavin' wood with it. I suspect you'll soon forget that it could even be a collectable.

Wear it out like there's no tomorrow! Litterally, use the livin' daylights out of it.

Your wife and family will love and cherish the work you've done with it much more than they would for you to have a plane inside some ugly green plastic bag, sitting on your mantle. And for heaven's sake, take it out of the ugly green plastic bag so you can see the wonderful handle, even if you are going to put it on the mantle. You can see that it's got some sap wood on the handle, that makes that cocobolo look wonderful, IMO, when it's mixed like that. Could you keep something like that inside of a green plastic bag?

I guess, my mind was thinking "well perhaps I shouldn't use this investment piece"...then I came to SMC and read an earilier post about these LN 25 year planes...abouit keeping one 25 years and seeing the value....etc, etc....we do have children....Make them just one thing using that plane and they'll appreciate it much more than any 'ol tool, trust me on that.

I was at an estate sale not long ago, and the man who had died had some great galoot tools, some of them had funky hand made handles on the files and such, you could really tell the guy took pride in his ship, things were setup nicely and he had work areas in the garage and such. Some estate mongers were running the sale, and they priced most of the tools based on size, bigger ones were worth more, etc...at least that is how it appeared to me. I picked up several starrett tools for about $2-$3 each. The larger and more common ones were priced close to market value for a new one.

But it was the one comment that one of these mongers made to another person looking to buy tools..."that's an oldie but a goodie, make me an offer, the daughter wants to get rid of all this stuff today so she can move in the house, everything is going wether it's to the dump or not". It made me wonder, I mean, those tools meant a lot to that guy and you could tell by how he had the shop laid out. So much for sentimental value...I suspect I appreciated getting some of his starrett tools more than his daughter appreciated that they had belonged to her own Dad...

I say use all your tools like there's no tomorrow, wear all of them out, and make things that your family will appreciate and use, because those items will be kept and cherished forever...and passed down for generations to come rather than some estate monger try to clear them out so the kids can move into the house...:(

Let's face it, would your kids be more likely to keep a 25 year anniversary hand plane, or a craftsman style bed that was hand built by their Dad? The choice is certainly for all of us to make, and deciding something based on monetary value over sentiment should not come into play, IMO. Ok, spittle me good folks!;)

Derek Cohen
10-12-2006, 10:52 AM
Well said Alan!

Regards from Perth

Derek

Barry Beech
10-12-2006, 1:18 PM
Why don't you ask your wife if she bought the tool to use or to save.

I would bet that she gave you the tool to use.

John Clifford
10-12-2006, 2:08 PM
I'll definatley be using mine whenever it gets here.

John Schreiber
10-12-2006, 2:20 PM
A ship in harbor is safe -- but that is not what ships are built for. - John Shedd

My other perspective is that anything sold new as a collectable, will never really be a collectable. It's rare items which are excellent examples of high quality workmanship which may actually increase in value. Even then, only buy things because you love them, then if they also are an investment, that's an extra bonus.

Mark Stutz
10-12-2006, 7:23 PM
Without a doubt, use it. I can't wait to wrap my hands around that Cocobolo!

Mark

Martin Shupe
10-13-2006, 12:04 AM
You have a great wife to buy that plane for you. I agree, ask her, but I think she would want you to use it.

The story about the estate sale and the daughter makes me want to vomit.

I am on the list for this plane, still waiting patiently. I am going to use it.

One recently sold on ebay, (note: this is BEFORE LN has even sold out at $400 each) for a little over $500. There is no doubt in my mind that this plane will go up in value, either used or new. If you use it and take care of it, it will still go up, perhaps not quite as much.

Here is my solution, take it or leave it.

Use the plane your wife gave you, and every time you use it, think about how blessed you are to have a wife that would give you such a wonderful tool. (You might even buy her some flowers when she is not expecting some.)

Then log on to the LN site (quickly) and order another plane for an investment. You can leave that one in the bag, keep it for 5 years (or ten), and then put it on ebay.

Let us know what you decide, and we want to see what the plane looks like out of the plastic bag.

Philip Duffy
10-13-2006, 5:36 AM
So, who is going to use it some day? Use it now and let the next collector worry about the scratches! Philip

Martin Shupe
10-13-2006, 11:58 AM
If anyone wants one of these, the rumor is there are only about 23 left from LN.

jeremy levine
10-13-2006, 12:36 PM
So, who is going to use it some day? Use it now and let the next collector worry about the scratches! Philip

Think of it like antique furniture ( or cars ) the market is really based on well maintained but used items. Use it :):)

Richard Niemiec
10-13-2006, 12:48 PM
Use the plane for what it was made for. Enjoy it. Make something. I am reminded of a latin phrase "Ars Longa, Vita Brevis" which loosely translated by a latin speaking colleague means "life is short but artistry endures."

Our subculture microcosm of woodworking tools, combined with the ebay and antiques roadshow greed mentality, sometimes deludes us into thinking that the collectors of the world (who are really just mini-capitalists who see a market and an opportunity for profit) will drive up prices to multiples of retail value for certain examples of a particular classification of "collectible." When tool collecting is viewed as a market, we must all remember that any market has its ups and downs in valuation, and all valuation of objects is driven by supply and demand. As long as an item is in production, or here, where LN production is limited to stimulate initial demand, does anyone think that LN would NOT put this particular plane back into production if demand, as illustrated by ebay (or whatever) resale value, indicates that healthy profits can be made by dusting off the casting molds and jigs and making more?

Tool value overall is cyclical; everyone knows that these tools have true utility (i.e., to be used as intended) only to hobbyists (serious or otherwise) and those lucky enough to have the skill and marketing savvy to get commissions for fine, handmade furniture; both have either the time or by virtue of their skill, are paid well, to indulge in creating hand crafted surfaces (and we all have our individual reasons why we do it). IMHO the majority of the increases in value come from folks that want a cherry, unblemished, "NIB" 75 year old plane of each variation to put in display cases and look at; or they are speculators in the "market." The former are the true "collector" market, the latter merely opportunists who only caught the tail end of the beanie baby craze, and moved on to Stanley, Spiers, Norris and Victor. Remember beanie babies???

For "users" reasonable values can be had. Just last week I picked up in three separate transactions a very servicable Stanley 66 beader for $20 (missing the curved fence, and blades, but I'll make them from some tool steel I have laying around), a very nice type 12 #5C for $20 which will likely become my primary user (very slight pitting on the front of the sole which a bit of lapping will take out, all original, pristine tote and knob) and a neat little #5 1/4 for $15, in great shape (WWII production), which I bought simply because I never actually saw one before and didn't have one.

Somehow I dare to think that this #5C, if tuned and fettled properly, just might make the same curlies that a LN would, and somewhere I read that the original cost of this plane, circa 1920, would approach the present day cost of a LN #5 in terms of percentage of weekly wage. But is it collectible, somewhat, albeit common; and is it valuable as such, sure. I suspect it would go for between $35 and $40 on ebay, maybe more, who knows.

Having waxed philosophic about this, perhaps to excess, I guess my point is that if you are in the business of commiting capital to investments in collectible planes, understand the market fluctuations, and are willing to devote substantial dollars to buy a wide range of planes to hedge your bets on an increase of value over time, then yes, keep it in a pristine and hermetically sealed bag and hope for the best - and while you're at it, buy some Bridge City planes too, and perhaps some antique Norris infills to make sure you have all the bases covered; otherwise, I'd make some curlies. My.02. Rich

Alan DuBoff
10-14-2006, 1:50 AM
BTW, would really like to see a honest review on both the standard ductile iron 4 1/2 smoother and the anniversary model.

The brass looks much nicer, and the cocobolo really looks beautiful with the brass body, but it seems to me that the ductile iron would be more durable, and the anniversay model costs 1/3rd more. Brass sometimes leaves marks on the wood, although I was getting some last weekend from my 4C on some hard maple, until I waxed it up.

I see Derek is waiting for his LN anniversary plane to arrive in Perth, and I'm not sure if Derek has a 4 1/2 ductile iron LN plane, that's how we could really see a decent review between the two planes. Derek, do you have the ductile iron LN 4 1/2 by chance? I suspect no since I know you have the LV BUS.

Derek Cohen
10-14-2006, 4:22 AM
Hi Alan

I do have a LN #4 1/2 in my workshop, the very same one that was loaned to me for the Marcou smoother review. The owner has been extremely generous in expending the loan, with the intention of my eventually writing a review. I know that there are many (on the sidelines)who want to know what the differences are with a "competitor" from the BU format, namely the LV BU Smoother.

The previous attempt at this was something of an anticlimax (not to mention a source of much controvercy) since I had difficulty with honing the LN blade and so replaced it with a Clifton. The original blade went back to LN and was examined. There was nothing wrong with the blade. LN honed it, used it and reported to me that it was absolutely normal. Nevertheless they replaced it without questions, and I subsequently had several discussions with Thomas LN in this regard. I can only put this down to error on my part (I could never figure out what went wrong - I had no difficulty with the Clifton), and the whole deal left a bad taste in my mouth since there was never any intention on my part to malign LN. As I pointed out at the time (mainly on other forums - Sawmill Creek members are far too well behaved to have reacted in the boorish manner that occured elsewhere), the Clifton blade would not have detracted from the performance of the LN plane. Still, I wish to redo the assessment, if only as a mark of respect for TLN.

In addition to the iron #4 1/2, I have the LV BUS and the Marcou smoother. Adding the bronze #4 1/2 will offer more equalization of the BD/BU brigades with regard to mass.

While I am better known for my reviews of BU planes - and do not disguise my soft spot for them - I am no stranger to and certainly no opponent of BD planes. I have 20 years of using Stanleys for a start, and still own and use several. Not to mention that I own as many, possibly more LN planes than LV planes.

The thing is that there are many forum members that would experience this type of review as threatening. For many it is a case of membership of and rivalry between one of two leading handplane brands. It took me some time to recover from the attacks on my integrity last time. Some of the attacks were quite vicious and traumatized a number of people, not to mention the fall out for LV, LN and Philip Marcou. I am in no rush to repeat this experience.

Perhaps the answer is to ignore the quality of the planing and just concentrate on the ergonomics of each? There is a lot of support for this since I do believe that, when used in what I call the "middle range" of wood demands, most well prepared and tuned handplanes will likely perform on a par. For the average woodworker, using softer woods (even though I suspect that a higher percentage of these woods now days contain a greater degree of reversing grains compared to earlier times - so higher angled planes are increasingly more necessary), I believe the LN and LV planes are often overkill. That is, the their upper limits of performance are not tapped. It is only when you get to use some of the hard woods, figured woods, woods with interlocked grains as we have in Australia, that the differences show up. This is why this area of performance became so interesting for me in the first place. Incidentally, Lyn Mangiameli has authored an excellent article in this area in the current Fine Woodworking mag (although he did say it was chopped up by FWW). Still, I am by training a scientist and the researcher part of me likes to find answers, and this means being prepared to ask all the questions.

I would value the thoughts of forum members. What would you like to discover? What would be helpful information for yourself? Or should I just leave this one area alone?

As it happens, I am preparing a review of two HNT Gordon planes. I have used the smoother and try plane for some years and a discussion about their design and use will be interesting. I am not sure how many are aware that these are Eastern designs and are designed to be used differently to Western planes. While many woodworkers internationally know of HNT Gordon, I don't think that many realise that the planes are not simple replacements for other woodies., such as Steve Knights'. While preparing this I was coincidentally contacted by Terry Gordon to write a review of the HNT Gordon spokeshaves (a flat and a round). These are also based on Eastern designs. So I do have a fair amount on my plate as it stands.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Alan DuBoff
10-14-2006, 5:35 AM
I do have a LN #4 1/2 in my workshop, the very same one that was loaned to me for the Marcou smoother review. The owner has been extremely generous in expending the loan, with the intention of my eventually writing a review. I know that there are many (on the sidelines)who want to know what the differences are with a "competitor" from the BU format, namely the LV BU Smoother.Yes, but my interest was primarily in knowing what differences there might be between the exact same LN 4 1/2, as far as ductile iron vs brass. I would expect the handle to feel better, ergonomically, since the handle on the LN site looks like it's smoother on inside of the handle, if that makes sense. It looks like the anniversary plane handle has better lines on the handle, when looking at the images on their site.

The original blade went back to LN and was examined. There was nothing wrong with the blade. LN honed it, used it and reported to me that it was absolutely normal. Nevertheless they replaced it without questions, and I subsequently had several discussions with Thomas LN in this regard. I can only put this down to error on my part (I could never figure out what went wrong - I had no difficulty with the Clifton)My opinion is that the LN blades can be difficult to sharpen, since the steel is harder. Rob Lee makes this argument on wether A2 is better than O1 in that sense, and I can tell quite a different on my lap-sharp when I sharpen a LN A2 blade. I don't know if this could have been your problem or not, but I think this could be a problem for a good number of folks and it just takes that much longer to get an edge on them. I have also noticed that some of the REALLY old Stanley blades to be hard stuff also, and I'm not sure what makes them so difficult to sharpen (and not all of them), but some are tough, tough, tough...This is good when you have a good edge on them, but for me I have to spend more time getting that edge on it most definitely. To some extent when comparing unlike steel blades in a plane, is possibly unfair, but sharp is sharp for the most part. It's just that an A2 blade could hold an edge longer, once it has a good edge. I don't know if the blade was A2 you were using or not, but food for thought. I wonder if it would be fair to contact Ron Hock and see if he would supply replacement blades for testing, that would make things fair, IMO.

The thing is that there are many forum members that would experience this type of review as threatening. For many it is a case of membership of and rivalry between one of two leading handplane brands. It took me some time to recover from the attacks on my integrity last time. Some of the attacks were quite vicious and traumatized a number of people, not to mention the fall out for LV, LN and Philip Marcou. I am in no rush to repeat this experience.I remember quite well some of the attacks you took, as well as Brad Olson over his LV BU review also.

This still doesn't change the fact that folks like me appreciate your reviews and can take them at face value. The internet requires thick skin, and if you want to do those types of reviews, keep that in mind. Might be best to let the woodworking community say what they will, and let it be.

With that said, my primary interest is in knowing the minute differences between the ductile iron and brass planes of same type. Even though this could cause un-just between the different owners of these planes, they're similar tools produced by the same manufacturer, and even in this case should have similar blades.

I would like to know if the casting is the same thickness, in it's entirety? if there are any differences in adjustment mechanisms? what differences there are in the way it feels on the same hardwood, the same softwoods, etc...in theory there should be little if any noticable difference, but theory doesn't always hold true in the real world.;)

Still, I am by training a scientist and the researcher part of me likes to find answers, and this means being prepared to ask all the questions.That's the part I like about you. If we can get an honest review, without the fact that you spent $$$s out of your pocket to purchase the LN anniversary model, it would be good.

For the most part I think the 1/3 cost premium one pays is worth it if you enjoy using the plane. Even if the feeling of using the plane is that much more enjoyable to someone, it's worth it. But knowing if there are any functional diferences could help some folks in deciding wether the plane is any better. Looking at it I feel the asthetics are worth the premium, but I'm not a good judge of that type of stuff, I value things like a cocobolo handle, or a brass body, things like that, even if they don't add functional value. Not everyone is like me. OTOH, owning a ductile plane would certainly not make anyone feel cheated, IMO.

I don't think that many realise that the planes are not simple replacements for other woodiesThis is why I'm not sure it's good to compare vendors or different planes to each other, people will take exception to that, IMO, whichever side of the fence they reside on. Instead if you were to concentrate on a specific plane and compare it in use. I believe that each tool has it's own character, and some tools are enjoyable to use and others aren't. Trying to convey how enjoyable a specific plane is rather than how each compares to each other might keep you out of the fire. This is all food for thought, and certainly my curiousity/view is not the same as the next guy.

David Marcus Brown
10-14-2006, 10:02 AM
I'm gonna use mine! :D

Derek Cohen
10-14-2006, 10:25 AM
my interest was primarily in knowing what differences there might be between the exact same LN 4 1/2, as far as ductile iron vs brass.

Ah, Alan - that is a much easier task, and far less controversial.

Instead if you were to concentrate on a specific plane and compare it in use. I believe that each tool has it's own character, and some tools are enjoyable to use and others aren't. Trying to convey how enjoyable a specific plane is rather than how each compares to each other might keep you out of the fire.

That is the road along which I now plan to tread with the Gordons. In some ways it is not as easy as using a reference plane(s) for comparison purposes. Now the challenge lies in developing my desciptive skills. :)

Regards from Perth

Derek

Alan DuBoff
10-14-2006, 1:20 PM
Ah, Alan - that is a much easier task, and far less controversial. Yes, that's what I thought.

That is the road along which I now plan to tread with the Gordons. In some ways it is not as easy as using a reference plane(s) for comparison purposes. Now the challenge lies in developing my desciptive skills. :)I don't have a problem trusting you to take care of that yourself! ;) as I said, I think there are folks that actually do take your review at face value, rather than trying to find some hidden agenda. Previously it seems folks pinned you with conspiracy theories and other wild ideas. Brad Olson also seemed to take some heat on his review also, so I don't think there was any prejudice against you, they seem fair in that regard (probably was the same folks! :rolleyes: ).

What I have always liked about your reviews is that they're very detailed and it's apparent you pay attention to all the little nuances, and that's important to me as well. I'll be looking at them myself if I was to get the tool.

Dan Larson
10-14-2006, 2:02 PM
The thing is that there are many forum members that would experience this type of review as threatening. For many it is a case of membership of and rivalry between one of two leading handplane brands. It took me some time to recover from the attacks on my integrity last time. Some of the attacks were quite vicious and traumatized a number of people, not to mention the fall out for LV, LN and Philip Marcou. I am in no rush to repeat this experience.

Derek,

I wasn't aware that you were receiving so much static about your reviews... I'm sorry to hear that. I enjoy reading your reviews. As a matter of fact, I re-read your Marcou review just last night. I've learned something new from each of your thoughtful and well written reviews, and they're just plain old fun to read! I wish folks would keep in mind that your reviews are written by a regular guy (granted a very knowledgeable regular guy) who works wood in his garage and shares his experiences and opinions about tools on the internet. As far as I'm concerned, keep up the good work Derek!

Dan

Dave Anderson NH
10-14-2006, 6:16 PM
As a point of information, the basking of Derek did not occur here on Sawmill Creek. Derek is far too much of a gentleman to mention the site where he was rudely attacked and his motivation and objectivity were were called into question. I will also not name the web forum since it is uncharacteristic of that site. I'm proud of the way people on this forum behave, even when they disagree. We all have different perspectives, different view, and different needs. No single viewpoint is more or less valid than another.

Mike Wenzloff
10-14-2006, 6:49 PM
The detractors found Derek on a few forums. Pity. Derek works hard on these and the detrators often center on their own preferences or prejudices and where the review deviates, it's food for them.

Take care, Mike

James Mittlefehldt
10-16-2006, 11:27 AM
Yes and the unfortunate part was some of the fallout from those rude comments that Derek recieved, was that Alf (ie Alice Frampton) stopped doing reviews as well, and hers were entertaining, thought provoking and really valuable.

I read some of those postings on that other site and was amazed anyone could be so rude. I will justr hunker down here and at UK workshop and that should serve my needs.

As to Derek since you plan to do more reviews good on you, amybe you can convince Alf as well.

chris del
10-18-2006, 1:56 PM
I spend some time on various forums in Canada and in the US.... I myself have one of these planes on order, and if you add mine to all the other people that claim they have one, or one on order I calculate LN must be making about 5000 of these not 500....
Little undecided what I will do with mine....already have a LN 4.5 HAF.....

Chris

Frank Bessette
10-25-2006, 5:52 PM
Greetings Phil,

The plane is a winner. You will love it. It feels great to me. I love mine. Many of the folks above have offered more eloquent reasons than I could. I am happy I am using mine.

Best...

Frank

James Owen
10-28-2006, 11:13 PM
My wife just gave me a Lie-Nielsen 4 1/2 HAF Cocobolo 25 year Plane!
It is sealed in a plastic bag....wondering do the Limited Edition LN Planes
"really" go up in value if unused? My guess is that they may go up a few % of the years, perhaps the same as a Bank Account Interest Rate, but not good as the stock market (75 year average...)....
Are these really meant for us woodworkers who want to feel special, by using a "special" tool which "YOU" don't have? Bottom line, Do I keep this all wrapped-up & sealed and buy another one for using? Or just
use this plane and hopefully make some shavings?
Thanks,
Phil

Phil,

Use It!!! That's what it was made for; that is its only proper destiny. Make something with it and give it to that lovely and thoughtful wife of yours.

FWIW, you can bet that mine will be full of shavings within about 5 minutes of its arrival.

Have fun with your new toy!

James

Bart Hovis
11-02-2006, 1:41 PM
Hi everybody,

I'm new here. My LN Anniversary 4 1/2 (#180) arrived yesterday. There was never any question that it would be a user :)

"Tuning" amounted to stropping the blade several times on leather with some stropping powder (it shaved the hair off my arm), moving the frog foward a bit and putting some carnauba wax on the sole. Then I tried it out on a mahogany board - just wonderful!! It's one of the most comfortable planes I've ever used, and a joy to look at.

Bart Hovis
St. Louis, USA

Roy Wall
11-02-2006, 3:47 PM
Welcome Bart!!

Yes - the sound of hand planing is music to the ears.....:)

Mark Singer
11-02-2006, 3:54 PM
Are they all gone? Or are there some 4 1/2 anniversary planes still available?

Fred Krow
11-02-2006, 4:36 PM
I ordered my 4 1/2 Br last week and Jennifer stated there was still a few openings available on the backorder list.

Regards,
Fred Krow

Bob Marino
11-02-2006, 8:29 PM
Phil,

Got mine (#164) the other day. It is one heavy smooooooother. Beautiful as it is, it's going to be used and hopefully used correctly.;) :D ;)

Bob

Bart Leetch
11-03-2006, 12:31 AM
Is it a tool?:D

Terek Johnson
11-03-2006, 10:46 PM
In terms of collectability, I've noticed L-N planes (both standard issue and anniversary editions) in my random perusal of e-Bay, and there doesn't seem to be that greater amount of money being paid for the "collecter" stuff versus the off-the-shelf gear. Use it man! Don't get caught up in the Antiques Roadshow syndrome: "I've got this thing that could potentially be worth a fortune"... Use that beautiful tool to make a piece of furniture that'll be worth 10x the tool.

Corvin Alstot
11-08-2006, 1:35 PM
I got my plane last week and finally got it taking thin shavings. It work well out of the box with a quick sharpening.
The birdeye maple I am working on is tough stuff and I had to close the mouth down quite a bit to prevent tear out even with the sharp blade.

The plane front knob has some great sapwood on one side which I prefer, I only wish I had a better number than #136. I am still happy with my purchase.

Blaine Harrison
11-08-2006, 4:26 PM
Nicely said Alan. Too bad the "mongers" didn't know anything about pricing galoot loot. The daughter would have been better off, but you might not have gotten the Starrett tools.

Blaine

Leon Jester
11-20-2006, 4:40 PM
Use it.

The value to your kids will be far more as "Dad's plane" than it will as a Lie Nielsen anniversary plane.
Well-written, sir.

My son gave me a LN No. 4½ last year for Christmas. It stayed in the wrapping long enough to get to the shop, then I ran it over a piece of scrap pine just for the h*ll of it to see how it cut.

Buy stocks for your investments. Buy tools to use.

Robert Mayer
11-21-2006, 4:52 PM
I would use the heck out of it.

David Marcus Brown
11-22-2006, 9:49 AM
I'm gonna use mine -- #274. :Dhttp://home.comcast.net/%7Eydb1/images/4.5b3.jpg

Larry Halberstadt
11-23-2006, 2:23 PM
I use or at least intend to use, all the tools I purchase or receive as gifts. I would use this tool. Lie-Nielsen products, while more expensive than the run of the mill junk, are priced to be purchased and used. A Karl Holtey or a Bridge City might be considered and "investment" tool, but not a Lie-Nielsen, even an anniversary special.