PDA

View Full Version : Any Stamp Collectors out there?

Greg Sznajdruk
10-11-2006, 6:06 PM
The LOML is a stamp collector, why I couldn’t begin to tell you. She typically works on sorting filing move stamps from one place to another. Her biggest gripe is when she has to put away the stamps before she is finished doing what ever she does. Got me to thinking what she needs is about four to five trays about 2 Feet Square. That can be slide into a chest so that everything is where she left it when she was done for the day. So I started to doodle a design then it occurred to me that this is not a unique idea. Someone has probably already invented this wheel. If you have been down this road would you be kind enough to share?

Thanks

Greg

Jim King
10-12-2006, 11:02 AM
This cabinet is for our 1/2 x 3 x 6 wood samples but a smaller scale would work for your wife.

Greg Sznajdruk
10-12-2006, 7:06 PM
Thanks Jim. The trays are most likely to be about 1 inch deep. Looks like when this project comes together I have to post some pictures. Who knows maybe this is an original idea.

Greg

Jim Brecker
10-12-2006, 8:08 PM
My grandmother used to collect. Geesh. Had them all over the place.

Cary Falk
10-13-2006, 5:15 AM
I collected them when I was a kid with my grandmother. Pulled them out the other day to see if I could maybe sell them. Looks like they are worth less now then when I bought them. I guess the memories are priceless. All my stuff is kept in envelopes and notebooks in one big box at the bottom of the closet.

Blaine Harrison
10-13-2006, 1:34 PM
I collected them when I was a kid with my grandmother. Pulled them out the other day to see if I could maybe sell them. Looks like they are worth less now then when I bought them. I guess the memories are priceless. All my stuff is kept in envelopes and notebooks in one big box at the bottom of the closet.

My Mother-in-Law got my wife started when she was a kid. The stamps my wife has left are going onto envelopes these days. That way, you get at least face value.

To keep this on-topic, I don't have any plans to show you, but I could see using a design that has a lid on each drawer. You pull out the drawer, then open the lid. Make the drawer come out a little less than full length so it can stay in the cabinet, but allow the lid to open (the hinge would be an inch or two from the back of the drawer).

Just a thought......

Blaine

Alain Tellier
10-13-2006, 3:07 PM
Just to add to Blaine's suggestion, you could even make the lids out of plexiglass. That way you can see what's in each the tray without exposing the collection to the outside world, move the tray safely to a work table to show or to work on without worrying about drafts, spills, curious hands...etc.