PDA

View Full Version : Mail order Purpleheart

Royce Meritt
10-11-2006, 4:06 PM
I know topics similar to this have been discussed before but here goes.

To make a long story short...

My usual local hardwood supplier (who deals mostly on a wholesale level to cabinet shops and contractors) has implemented a 50 board foot minimum on hardwood sales. (Isn't it great when a local company is bought out by a big, out-of-state company? Customer service ALWAYS improves, right?) At any rate, I use a fair amount of Purpleheart for a repeat order sort of project I do. I usually need about 10-12 BF of both purpleheart and walnut for this project. I can't affort to tie up several hundred dollars in purpleheart even though I will eventually use up 50 BF.

What sources do any of you recommend? I need to find a fairly reasonably priced source. Shipping purpleheart (it's really heavy) will about double the cost so economics is a factor.

The purpleheart I need can be about any length and/or width. I will be cut into pieces about 3/4" X 18" X 3". Thanks!

Paul Held
10-11-2006, 4:17 PM
I have purchased a fair amount of different exotic species from these guys. Nice people to deal with and their prices are good. While 12-15 bf can most likely ship via UPS, they are a bit far from you. After shipping the 50 bf minimum may be the least expensive option. Paul

http://www.advantagelumber.com/

Nick Roper
10-11-2006, 4:22 PM
I know how you feel Royce, we're down to only one or two sources even here in Kansas City. Sounds to me like your choices are limited to either getting a few guys together and doing a small group buy, or using woodfinder to see if there is anything within a driving distance that would undercut the cost of shipping.

Scott Thornton
10-11-2006, 4:44 PM
www.internetlumber.com (http://www.internetlumber.com)

These guys have lots of stuff, including purpleheart...

John Renzetti
10-11-2006, 5:08 PM
hi Royce, I know that Hearne Hardwood located about 20 minutes from me in Oxford PA will ship all over. Great place very friendly. I don't know if they have a minimum.
take care,
John

Jim Tobias
10-11-2006, 6:10 PM
Steve Wall at
www.walllumber.com
Shipping will cost from NC , but they always have good stuff at reasonable prices. On their site:
Purple Heart Deep Purple. Very Dense

4/4 $4.00

8/4 $4.50

Jim

Joe Pack
10-11-2006, 9:53 PM
West Penn Hardwoods, Olean, NY (west central NY) has purpleheart for roughly $4/bd. ft. The also have UPS packs of various sizes. They are extremely good to work with. If you don't see what you want on their web page (www.westpennhardwoods.com), give them a call. I have been well satisfied .

Royce Meritt
10-12-2006, 11:28 AM
Thanks for the leads folks. Some of your suggestions look like they have possibilities. Some of the 10, 15 or 20 BF packs look like just the ticket. Thanks again.:)

Quinn McCarthy
10-12-2006, 11:43 AM
Royce

Wall lumber listed on an earlier post has purple heart at the lowest price I have found on the internet. I needed a bunch of 8/4 purple heart and there was not a problem with the purchase at all. They were very easy do deal with.

Quinn

Marty Mincey
10-18-2006, 7:52 PM
I have purchased purpleheart and walnut from this company several times.

http://www.woodworkerssource.net/

They also have free shipping for 10 and 20 BF packages.