PDA

View Full Version : Help me with planning - long.

Matt Meiser
10-11-2006, 9:47 AM
As I announced in another thread, I'm scaling back my shop to make room for other hobbies. I'm looking for some feedback on my plan. Since we pretty much have a house full of furniture, the projects I envision doing are more cabinetry projects (bath cabinets, office furniture maybe, small things here an there.)

I don't want to turn this into an EZ thread, but I plan make the EZ Smart system a key part of the scaled back shop. I already have the rails, table, and square. I'm thinking I should add the parts for the smart clamping system, cabinet maker, and the router guide. This will give me the capabilities for ripping smaller parts, making dados, cutting panels easier, etc.

For making mortises I've got a jig I previously made to use with the plunge router. For tenons, I plan to keep my bandsaw which will also give me the ability to make rip cuts in heavier stock that a circular saw might not like. I don't think I need a table saw if I do this.

I'd like to get rid of my jointer. Doing that, I envision that I would stright line rip with the EZ system, then clean up the cut as necessary with a jointer plane. I've rarely used my jointer for flattening anyway.

I'm replacing my large planer with a lunchbox planer that I can store on a shelf when not in use.

Since most of my projects going forward will be more utilitarian, most of the joinery would be more utilitarian--i.e. pocket screws or dados & glue. For utilitarian drawers, I've been using Mark Singer's pocket screw approach already. If I find I want to do dovetailed drawers, I'll probably buy something like the MLCS through dovetail template set (Link (http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/smarthtml/pages/dovetailjig.html).) I've only been using my Leigh jig for through dovetails anyway and rarely at that. I'm still debating the biscuit joiner.

Router table--I'd like to get rid of my NYW router table and dedicated DW621 router and going to one router with both bases that can go in a smaller benchtop table. Right now I have the Dewalt and 2 PC's with 2 fixed and 1 plunge base. I'm wondering if something like the Dewalt or Bosch system might not make a better choice, but still let me use the accessories I have (including an extra aluminum router plate drilled for the PC 690?)

Turning--not going to do it. If I need something turned, I'll phone a friend. :D

Hand tools--I'm going to keep a regular block plane, a low angle rabbet block plane, smooth plane, jointer plane, a basic set of chisels and a japanese saw as well as measuring/marking tools.

Dave Falkenstein
10-11-2006, 10:11 AM
A couple of thoughts - I get along quite well without a jointer. I typically buy S3S material from a local hardwood supplier. You can get straight rips using a GCSS with no problem, and parallel rips if you are careful with your setup.

For drawers I use a router table and a drawer lock bit, like this one:

http://www.woodline.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=337

I imagine a small, bench-top router table would be fine, as long as you retain the capability to use 1/2" bits.

Jon Eckels
10-11-2006, 10:15 AM
As far as a Smaller benchtop router table goes, be sure to check out the BenchDog Contractor Table. I own it and love it. i used to use it for edge joining as well, something it excelled at, although I recently purchased a Rigid 6-1/8" Jointer as well.

I don't see any problems with the rest of your plan, as I also use the EZ for a lot of my cuts. If you don't already have one, I suggest getting an auto-on Dust Collector Vac, like the Fein or Festool. I find it's a necessity for use with the EZ system.

Also, if you're going to dedicate your shop to the EZ system, It's a good idea to get the smart table and set up a dedicated router station with a spare rail. (You can find info in the EZ forum) It'll save you setup time when you want to make your cuts or do things like mortises and tenons.

Otherwise, good luck with your downsize! :)

Mike Weaver
10-11-2006, 11:08 AM
Matt,
Especially since you indicated you've had sinus problems, you might want to rethink getting rid of the 621, if for no other reason than the nice DC capabilities it has.

The Bosch 1617 does have vac attachments (which I should be able to report on soon....I've ordered the 1617PK w/ bonus stuff), but it's not as "built in" as on the DW 621.

So, just a thought - you might want to dedicate a router to the benchtop router table & keep the DW621 for handheld use?

Do you forsee the need for a small drill press? I find one very handy for all sorts of household needs, and a sanding drum can be chucked up as needed.

Also, you didn't mention sharpening, but with a bunch of hand tools, you'll want to address the ability to sharpen them easily. Obviously there are numerous ways to do that. Personally, I'm going to make a version of the sharpening system in American Woodworker a while back w/ sandpaper on MDF disks.

I have a spare universal 1/4 HP motor that I'll slow down with a router speed control unit, but the original plans were for it to be used in a drill press.

Anyway, just some food for hought, and I hope for the best for you as you rethink things.
-Mike

Hugh Jaskok
10-11-2006, 12:21 PM
So Matt, how much do you want for your planer?:)

Jeff Fritzson
10-11-2006, 12:29 PM
Matt,

Since you are using the EZ you might want to check out this thread:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=20522&highlight=portable+hand+planer

This is talking about jointing long boards but I see no reason why something like this could not work for you.

Sorry you are cutting back but I am also happy for you if you find that it can help relieve some stress. I have been in high tech since the mid 70's and it does not get any better. Technology has made some significant changes in everyone's lives but not all changes are good.

Regards,
Jeff

Matt Meiser
10-11-2006, 12:34 PM
So Matt, how much do you want for your planer?:)

Already sold it to another creeker. We actually worked out a partial trade--he's moving to a bigger planer and I'm moving back to a smaller one.

Matt Meiser
10-11-2006, 12:51 PM
As far as a Smaller benchtop router table goes, be sure to check out the BenchDog Contractor Table. I own it and love it. i used to use it for edge joining as well, something it excelled at, although I recently purchased a Rigid 6-1/8" Jointer as well.

I'm thinking I'll probably build the router table. I have a bunch of laminate and already have a Rockler plate that fits the PC 690

I don't see any problems with the rest of your plan, as I also use the EZ for a lot of my cuts. If you don't already have one, I suggest getting an auto-on Dust Collector Vac, like the Fein or Festool. I find it's a necessity for use with the EZ system.

I'm planning to keep my Festool vac and sander.

Also, if you're going to dedicate your shop to the EZ system, It's a good idea to get the smart table and set up a dedicated router station with a spare rail. (You can find info in the EZ forum) It'll save you setup time when you want to make your cuts or do things like mortises and tenons.

Could you point me to a specific thread? Sounds interesting.

Otherwise, good luck with your downsize! :)

Thanks!

Hugh Jaskok
10-11-2006, 12:52 PM
Already sold it to another creeker. We actually worked out a partial trade--he's moving to a bigger planer and I'm moving back to a smaller one.

Oh well.:cool:

Corey Hallagan
10-11-2006, 8:55 PM
I second the jointer, just don't have room for one in my shop. I also second the Benchdog ProTop contractor router table. Very nice and it would be fairly easy to build one of this style. It would be a nice relaxing shop project! I use a DW 625 in it and my main routers for hand work is the DW 618PK.
Corey

Jon Eckels
10-11-2006, 9:33 PM
Could you point me to a specific thread? Sounds interesting.

Sure, this thread (http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=42527) shows how to make mortises and tenons with a vertically mounted rail on the side of a table. I don't know if there's a SMC thread specifically about it being on the Smart Table, but on Eurekazone's website you'll find pictures of a board mounted to the ends of three side rails on the smart table. It's awkward to describe, but it's rather simple, and allows for a lot of flexibility with the Smart Router. I don't dare post a link since the bad men might get me.

Greg Griswold
10-12-2006, 8:19 AM
Matt,

I don't know if you ever watch the PBS program - The Router Workshop with Bob and Rick Rosendahl, but they have a nice table top router table that they use. They used to use the Hitachi plunge router (and have since changed to Porter Cable - show sponser). They have their router mounted in the table plate, but use jigs for a lot of processes that do not use the table. They just lift out the router, leave it on the base and away they go. This allows one router to work in the table and out of the table. If you search on their program, they have a link to a site selling their router table (a bit high, I think) but showing good pictures of the table. Place to get some ideas.

Just a suggestion

Greg