PDA

View Full Version : Pecan collection plate

Ernie Nyvall
10-11-2006, 6:59 AM
12" x 2 3/8" and finished with lacquer. This came from a tree that was harvested from the home of a minister who has just started a church. They are currently using a basket for collection. The design is somewhat similar to one Bill G. suggested I look at. The lip at 1/4" is thinner than I wanted, but the wood warped so bad that that is what 1" rough turned down to. However, it doesn't flex a bit, so it should be fine. I can't do over because every one of the blanks that I have left have split almost like I took an axe to them.

This is the first pecan for me and am wondering if this splitting is the usual thing for it. I did cut about 2" around the pith and sealed it. Maybe the tree had been down too long already. Duno

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n34/Ernie_Nyvall/IMG_3506.jpg

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n34/Ernie_Nyvall/IMG_3504.jpg

Keith Burns
10-11-2006, 8:00 AM
Great collection plate Ernie :) :) Your reciepient should be pleased, I know I would. Great job.:) :)

Pete Jordan
10-11-2006, 8:43 AM
That is great! I am sure the minister will love it!

Corey Hallagan
10-11-2006, 8:54 AM
I think it will work great as a collection plate and that's a nice piece!

Corey

Travis White
10-11-2006, 10:20 AM
Nice plate!

Is there anything I should know when turning pecan? I am bidding on some on ebay right now.

Art Mulder
10-11-2006, 10:34 AM
12" x 2 3/8" and finished with lacquer. This came from a tree that was harvested from the home of a minister who has just started a church. They are currently using a basket for collection. The design is somewhat similar to one Bill G. suggested I look at. The lip at 1/4" is thinner than I wanted, but the wood warped so bad that that is what 1" rough turned down to. However, it doesn't flex a bit, so it should be fine.

Is that really 1/4" thick? Looks thinner in the picture. That's a problem when there is no scale in the picture to judge sizes...

I've passed a lot of collection plates, bags, and baskets in my life, and I also would prefer something thicker than 1/4", to stand up to the job of being handled so much. But then again, in my 42 years I can count on one hand the number of times I've seen an offering bag/bowl get dropped. Small miracles perhaps?

Great looking piece, Ernie.

Ernie Nyvall
10-11-2006, 11:23 AM
Nice plate!

Is there anything I should know when turning pecan? I am bidding on some on ebay right now.

Travis, after seeing what happened to the pecan I got, I wouldn't bid on any. Of course it could be that I got it too late. As I said, I cut 2" out of the middle, sealed it, and in less than 2 weeks some of the pieces were cracked all the way through. During the drying I had several bowls crack and were all warped extra bad.

Art, the edge is rounded and so looks thinner in the pic. Because it is so thin though, I did cut all the rest down so that is pretty light. If you held it you would see that the rim will be fine. Now, I didn't toss it across the shop to test it though.:D This church has 25 members, and when they grow and need more plates, it won't be used any longer. That along with not having any more of the pecan from his tree that is big enough, this one will do.;)

Mark Cothren
10-11-2006, 1:46 PM
This is a setup - don't fall for it - hide your wallets, cuz Ernie is gettin' ready to PASS this plate...:D

Looks great, Ernie. I've turned quite a bit of Pecan and don't recall having it split worse than any other woods I've turned. I do recall it being hard as a rock after it dries...:eek:

Bernie Weishapl
10-11-2006, 3:56 PM
Ernie the collection plate is a beauty. The minister will be thrilled. Nice job.

Gary DeWitt
10-11-2006, 5:40 PM
That's a nice looking plate/bowl, or bowl/plate. A practical and aesthetic shape for it's purpose.
Never turned any pecan, but I have used chunks of it to smoke turkey in the BBQ, gives a nice mild flavor. You might want to save some of your chips or chunks for next summer if you like to smoke meat.

Dario Octaviano
10-11-2006, 6:04 PM
Nice plate!

Travis,

WHY? There are lots of pecan here and probably your area as well. I know I can go to any firewood guy here and get pecan...especially now that fall is coming.

Ernie Nyvall
10-11-2006, 6:08 PM
This is a setup - don't fall for it - hide your wallets, cuz Ernie is gettin' ready to PASS this plate...:D

I promise you guys, this was NOT (wag my finger) my intention. However, Mark has caused me considerable mental anguish with his comment, and I could now use some help getting over it.

Mark, as far as the wood goes, the tree may have been down too long, and I know it was under stress (kinda like me after your comment)... half the root system was rotten and the rot was about a foot up one side of the trunk. Maybe this was part of my problem.

Dale Overman
10-11-2006, 8:20 PM
I have turned lots of pecan. Am in the process of getting a pickup load of dry, spalted pecan from a man that is moving and is not taking his firewood with him. Also getting all the spalted maple I want from same source. He has poplar also but have never turned it before so will probably get a few pieces to try. Last week I got a little mimosa thatr was beautiful. Raymond has not taught me to send pics so have no proof. Pecan is great wood, pretty and easier to turn than oak.

Bill Boehme
10-11-2006, 9:55 PM
That is a serious heavy duty collection plate and nobody can have an excuse that the plate was too full to add any more money.

This brings up a rhetorical question, "Are there really such things as money trees?"

Bill