PDA

View Full Version : Narrow Crown Stapler

W.C. Turner
10-19-2003, 1:20 AM
Hi,

I know some of you have the Porter Cable model # NS150A, 1/2" to
1-1/2" stapler. A box of 1000 staples is included in the kit when you purchase it. What is the size, length, of these included staples???

Thanks,

W.C.

Rod Torgeson
10-19-2003, 11:41 AM
W.C. ...I believe this to be the pack I recieved with my stapler. No. NS18100-1 18GA. x 1/4" CRN: 1" LEG Galvanized Staples 1000PK. Hope this helps. Rod Torgeson

W.C. Turner
10-21-2003, 1:12 AM
W.C. ...I believe this to be the pack I recieved with my stapler. No. NS18100-1 18GA. x 1/4" CRN: 1" LEG Galvanized Staples 1000PK. Hope this helps. Rod Torgeson

Rod, Thanks for the reply.
Which size staples have you found that you use most? If you're using 3/4" stock, what size staple is recommended? Shouldn't there be at least 1/2" of the staple going into the mating stock?

Thanks,

W.C.

W.C. Turner
10-21-2003, 1:17 AM
I read that the #NS150A has a staple guide to convert to different size staples. How often is this to be used?

Thanks.

W.C.

Rod Torgeson
10-21-2003, 9:22 AM
Rod, Thanks for the reply.
Which size staples have you found that you use most? If you're using 3/4" stock, what size staple is recommended? Shouldn't there be at least 1/2" of the staple going into the mating stock?

Thanks,

W.C.
W.C. ...When I installed the underlayment in my house, it was recommended that I use 1 1/4" staples. The underlayment is 1/2" thick. Based on this I would guess using the max length of 1 1/2" for 3/4" stock. Hope this helps. Rod Torgeson

W.C. Turner
10-21-2003, 10:56 AM
W.C. ...When I installed the underlayment in my house, it was recommended that I use 1 1/4" staples. The underlayment is 1/2" thick. Based on this I would guess using the max length of 1 1/2" for 3/4" stock. Hope this helps. Rod Torgeson

Rod,

What about the staple guide? Do you have to install it anytime you convert from 1/2" staples, to any of the staples 1", and up to 1-1/2" staples? Thanks,

W.C.

Scott Coffelt
10-21-2003, 11:28 AM
I believe you have to remove the guide when using above 1", I do not have 1 1/4 (so not sure if the guide interfers with this size) in stock but use 1 1/2 regularly so it pretty much is out all the time. I do have a cheap CH that I use for smaller staples (i.e., 1/2 & 3/4). I paid less than $40 for the cheapy. The PC is a real nice unit.

W.C. Turner
10-22-2003, 1:45 AM
I believe you have to remove the guide when using above 1", I do not have 1 1/4 (so not sure if the guide interfers with this size) in stock but use 1 1/2 regularly so it pretty much is out all the time. I do have a cheap CH that I use for smaller staples (i.e., 1/2 & 3/4). I paid less than $40 for the cheapy. The PC is a real nice unit.

Hey Scott,

Thanks for the reply. The staple guide isn't that big a deal anyway is it? How long does it take to either install or remove it?

Thanks,

W.C.

Scott Coffelt
10-22-2003, 10:03 AM
Less than a minute as I recall. It has one screw I believe. The most important thing is to make sure you know where it is. I keep mine in the case with the stapler, but if it was used on a job site little things always seem to get lost. In that case I would opt to have multiple staplers and keep the guide in the shop where I kew where it was. I take mine out if I have to go on a job site.

W.C. Turner
10-22-2003, 10:50 AM
Less than a minute as I recall. It has one screw I believe. The most important thing is to make sure you know where it is. I keep mine in the case with the stapler, but if it was used on a job site little things always seem to get lost. In that case I would opt to have multiple staplers and keep the guide in the shop where I kew where it was. I take mine out if I have to go on a job site.

One thing I like about this stapler is the range of staples it shoots. Would you buy this stapler again if you did it over?

Thanks,

W.C.

Scott Coffelt
10-22-2003, 3:25 PM
I wanted the longer staples so that's why I went that route. I started with a smaller one the CH version, often found I needed a longer staple. I am very happy with the PC line of guns. They work very well for my use. If I used it daily, I may do more research on available guns, but I couldn't justify the more expensive options or time spent.

W.C. Turner
10-31-2003, 12:25 AM

How long have you had this stapler? I just got mine, and there is no mention of the staple guide in the manual, nor could I find one in the case. So, I called P.C., and asked if indeed, there is a guide you have to insert, and remove manually. PC said no, that it's in the magazine and the operator has to do nothing, but insert the size staples to be used.

I think I mis-understood the description of the staple guide, I read in the catalog. So, are you sure yours has a guide to be inserted and removed manually?

Thanks,

W.C.