PDA

View Full Version : Pull string top tutorial

Terry Quiram
10-10-2006, 8:05 PM
Start with a square or round block at least 1" thick and drill a 3/8 hole in the center. Next I take the piece that will be the stem and tip and form a tennon that will fit into the 3/8 hole. I have found that making the tip from the hardest wood I can find will let the tip survive longer. You can see a slight chamfer on the ends that get inserted into the disc. This helps get the pieces started. It is also better if the pieces are a little hard to insert. I also slightly undercut the insert next to the face to face joint. Glue the pieces up and clamp.

Terry Quiram
10-10-2006, 8:11 PM
Turn the disc into the shape of your choice sand and finish it before turning the tip and stem. Placing the hole that launches the top is done after you have designed the lower end of the stem. Hold the handle up to the stem and eyeball the center and drill a hole for the string. Do this before you reach the final diameter of the stem. Sand and finish the stem. Turn off the stem end and almost turn off the tip. I clamp the stem (with just enough pressure to hole) and very carefully part off and sand the tip.

Terry Quiram
10-10-2006, 8:17 PM
The handle should be turned before the top so you can use it to place the string hole. After you have made one handle it will work for any other top. The block is 1"thick and 2x7. I drill using a forstner 7/8 for access to the string and a 3/8 hole for the tops stem. Turn the "launch" end first as your handle will become unstable the smaller you turn the handle and if you wait to do the launch end last it will vibrate big time. DAMHIKT! I turn the parting off ends as small as possible then snap them off and sand. The handle is Beal buffed. I usually buff the top but this example has a friction polish. Turn a small handle to tie the string to. I make the string about 18" long and soak about 1/2 inch of the end in CA. The knot is soaked with CA and glued into the handle.

Mel Reed
10-10-2006, 8:35 PM
Thanks Terry, Just what I needed.
Mel Reed

Stephen Hibbs
10-10-2006, 9:40 PM
Terry, thanks so much for that little tutorial, I'll be sure to make one of those asap!

Brian McInturff
10-10-2006, 9:45 PM
Thanks Terry,
Should be a great stocking stuffer for my niece.

Martin Shupe
10-10-2006, 9:47 PM
Terry,

Thanks so much for taking the time to make this tutorial. I am just a beginning turner, but this looks like a project I could make with my son. Thanks again for the inspiration.

Corey Hallagan
10-10-2006, 9:56 PM
Terry great tutorial, thanks for posting. These are pretty cool!

Corey

Jonathon Spafford
10-10-2006, 11:18 PM
Hey thanks so much for posting this... a really nice tutorial you put together... it should really be helpful!!!

Jonathon

Bernie Weishapl
10-11-2006, 12:03 AM
Terry thanks for posting. I appreciate it.

Jonathon Spafford
10-11-2006, 1:41 AM
One question... what kind of glue do you use... I know that titebond would probably be a good choice, but I don't want to wait for it to dry. Would CA be ok?

Bob Hallowell
10-11-2006, 3:02 AM
Thanks Terry,
I am going to make one for my little girl tommorow.

Bob

Jack Ferrell
10-11-2006, 3:29 AM
Thanks for showing this Terry. I think I'll make a few.

Terry Quiram
10-11-2006, 6:35 AM
Jonathon

I think using CA would be ok. I have mostly gone away from Titebond and use white Elmers glue.

Terry

Terry Quiram
10-11-2006, 8:29 AM
Some additional information. I start with a disc approx 4" square/round. The stem is approx 4 1/2 to 5 long. It should extend beyond the handle by at least 1".

Dennis Peacock
10-11-2006, 10:09 AM
One question... what kind of glue do you use... I know that titebond would probably be a good choice, but I don't want to wait for it to dry. Would CA be ok?

Jonathon,
Just use the old Elmers White Glue. Dries clear and doesn't express itself with glue creep. Dries good enough to start turning with in about 1 hour. I use it a lot along with liquid hide glue on furniture.

Terry,

Very well done and a great tutorial indeed. Great work and thank you for posting it. Just in time for the holida season too. ;)

Don Orr
10-11-2006, 2:15 PM
Thanks Terry, nice job on the tutorial. I'll have to add it to my repetoire of styles of tops.

Mark Pruitt
10-11-2006, 2:32 PM
Terry, thanks for sharing this tutorial!

Ben Werner
10-11-2006, 6:41 PM
Thanks!! looks great, Gotta try it now :D

Chris Baer
10-14-2006, 1:25 AM
Terry,
Thanks a bunch for that tutorial I will definitely have to make one fro my daughter before she makes one herself. I will throw it in with my attempt on inside-out turning this weekend or next.
Chris

Bob Hallowell
10-14-2006, 8:37 AM
Thank you Terry my little girl loved it!

Bob

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
10-14-2006, 9:07 AM
Thank you Terry my little girl loved it!

Bob

Great............but......... where are the pics :D

This one is on my list of stuff to make for sure!

Thanks Terry!

Terry Quiram
10-14-2006, 1:07 PM
Yeah Bob, where are the pics?????:D

Terry

John Miliunas
10-14-2006, 10:08 PM
Well done, Terry! Thanks so very much for taking the time to instruct us on a real neat project! I've got some "targets" already, who would love those! :) :cool:

Bob Hallowell
10-15-2006, 8:39 AM
Ok she just got out of bed this morning but here it is. Hers is walnut and hickory. The launcher turned out fine but I had problems with the top not having a collet yet but I figured out other ways to hold it.
I plan on making some more tops for her maybe use a cocobolo tip next time..
thanx,
Bob

Terry Quiram
10-15-2006, 10:41 AM
Nice job Bob. Looks like a satisified customer.

Terry

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
10-15-2006, 3:27 PM
VERY good Bob, I'm sure Terry is pleased too, you both done good! :D

Ben Werner
10-21-2006, 11:14 PM
Is there anyway to move this thread to the woodworking article forum? I would (and I'm sure a few others feel this way) like to have easy access to this at all times without having to look through the hundreds of threads in the turning forum!!
Ben