PDA

View Full Version : Oh boy, a new goof to fix.

Chip Olson
10-10-2006, 4:44 PM
Drilled shelf holes in my upper cabinets this weekend, using this nifty Rockler shelf-hole-drilling jig. On one of them, I started one row from the top of the cabinet instead of the bottom. So now I have one set of holes out of alignment with the rest.

My options seem to be, in order of time consumption:
1. Live with wobbly shelves in one cabinet.
2. Drill another row next to the misplaced one and ignore the latter. (Of course, the misplaced one is towards the front of the cabinet.)
3. Shim out the shelves where they rest on the pins in that row.
4. Cut out a recess for the other three pins on each shelf. (I don't know if the discrepancy is small enough for this to work.)
5. Wood-fill the misplaced holes, refinish, redrill.
6 Rout out a groove where the holes are, inlay a contrasting strip of wood, refinish, redrill.

Recommendations? Other ideas?

Bob Childress
10-10-2006, 4:59 PM
Chip,

I'd go with option 2. After all, it's on the inside of the cabinet (I assume there will be doors) and most folks would never notice. Wobbly shelves are a non-starter and the others seem to me too much trouble in this case.

Just my .02. :)

Once when making bookshelves I dadoed the wrong edge on one side, AFTER I had already drilled the holes! Now that was a PITA.:o

Chris Rosenberger
10-10-2006, 5:14 PM
I would go with option 6 or option 2 & plug the other holes.

Frank Fusco
10-10-2006, 5:32 PM
#2 :mad: had to add eight more characters. the plain #2 wouldn't go by itself.

Lars Thomas
10-10-2006, 6:02 PM
How lucky are you? If you use the 'L' shaped brackets and turn one bracket upside down and one right-side-up, are the shelves then level? If not, I'd go with cutting a dado and filling with the same species.

Mark Rios
10-10-2006, 6:14 PM
This may not be the most cost effective, especially if you have to buy a whole sheet for just the one panel but.....
You could cut a piece of 1/4" (6.2 mm) plywood the same species as the carcass and fit it and glue it in place inside the cabinet. Sort of like a false side panel. Then just redrill.

Joe Jensen
10-10-2006, 6:56 PM
How about a very thin stip of veneer to cover the entire panel and then redrill. This could only take 1/64th of an inch...joe

Brad Noble
10-10-2006, 7:37 PM
This may not be the most cost effective, especially if you have to buy a whole sheet for just the one panel but.....
You could cut a piece of 1/4" (6.2 mm) plywood the same species as the carcass and fit it and glue it in place inside the cabinet. Sort of like a false side panel. Then just redrill.
Ladies and Gentlemen, in my not so humble opinion, we have a winner here. I like it, cut/cover/drill and move along.

Brad

Geoff Harris
10-11-2006, 3:17 PM
I saw this fix on a friends shelving unit. One of the back rows of holes had been drilled slightly lower than the rest of them. The builder had placed a small screw in the shelf just above the pin to level it. I think this would only look ok if the misaligned hole is in the back. In my friends shelf you don't see it unless you look in :)

Geoff.

Chip Olson
10-11-2006, 4:34 PM
It would probably have been useful for me to have mentioned another constraint, that being "fix needs to be doable in half an hour at the most". I'm probably going to measure the misalignment, and if it's too big to reasonably deal with by shimming the shelves, I'll drill another row. If I really hate the results, I'll probably try the idea of gluing in a piece of 1/4" ply on that side.

Many thanks to all who responded.

Norman Hitt
10-11-2006, 7:25 PM
I would go with #6.

Doug Shepard
10-11-2006, 8:15 PM

This one looks pretty promising, but...
What is the mis-cut side panel made of? If it's something that wants to expand/contract more than ply, gluing is not going to be a good idea.
Also, might this mean that the shelves will then have to be cut shorter by 1/4"? Not a problem if the ends aren't something like edge-banded veneer, but it may mean you'd have to redo a few shelf ends.
It's probably the idea I would use but without knowing more, who knows how easy of a fix this would be.