PDA

View Full Version : Oliver Jointer and Bandsaw

Lt. David Wheeler
10-10-2006, 3:49 PM
Hello all....

I am looking to upgrade my Delta 16" (3 wheel) bandsaw and tonight I am going to look at a 14" Oliver bandsaw and a 6" jointer. They are supposedly older and in good working condition. Any pointers on what to look for during inspection? Motors, knives, tables, etc.? I am generally familiar with tools.....but not older machines like these are. I will get part #'s and post them later on. Thanks for any help you can provide.

Wendel Aaberg
10-10-2006, 3:59 PM
Might check out Oldwoodworkingmachines.com (http://www.oldwwmachines.com/) for some info.

Basil Rathbone
10-10-2006, 4:03 PM
The only things I would worry about would be how am I going to fit it them in my shop and how am I going to get them there.

I know my wife wouldn't help!!

Alan DuBoff
10-10-2006, 4:12 PM
David,

Oliver is excellent equipment, and especially the older stuff.

What I would look for is any cracks in the castings, anywhere, and if you can get inside and look with a flashlight all the better. Even if you see a small problem, it shouldn't detour you from picking up old arn at an attractive price, and for the most part these old well built machines do not crack too often.

Check the bearing, make sure there is no slop in them and they appear to be tight. This would include the cutter head on the jointer, and the upper and lower wheels on the bandsaw.

Check phase to know if you would need a phase converter or similar, but a 6" jointer is most likely 1HP and should be 120v, the ones I've seen pics of were, but keep in mind that much of the old Ollie machines are 3 phase.

On the bandsaw, check the tires on the wheels, making sure they're in good shape, which would mean you would want to replace them, again, not stop you from buying them.

When you talk to the seller, never say something like, "these are incredibly nice machines which it seems like you're selling way too low", even if you think so. Use anything you notice, even rust to your advantage in a purchase. "I think I might be able to clean this up with a bit of elbow grease and time", or "It looks like it's gonna need tires and the new blade, will you take XXX for it?". Worst case they say no, you have nothing to loose and can come back if he's offended with, "I 'spose you're right...".

Those machines shouldn't be that heavy, so moving them won't be too awfully hard. You will need some type of truck and/or trailer though, they won't be like plate steel machines.

Don't worry about paint, you can redo that if needed, but the flatness of the tables is always a concern. Again, typically heavier cast iron tables like on Ollies will stay flat but it's something to check for.

Look for other old arn laying around that you might be able to snag, and specifically any accessories like miter gauge for the bandsaw, fence, and such like that. Sometimes you can get the seller to throw something in because it's sitting around his shop.

This is just my non-professional ideas, coming from a hobbyist. I wouldn't call myself an expert old machine purchaser, and each one of them is typically an adventure in itself in learning how to move it, and/or load/unload. If the seller has a crane or forklift, that's a plus, but you can roll them on pipes, and these won't be that heavy. You might be looking at 500-700 lbs (possibly less, check owwm.com for the specs) for each of them. You won't be lifting them by yourself, but you won't be trying to move a 4000 lbs. 42" shipsaw either.;)

Lt. David Wheeler
10-10-2006, 7:42 PM
Ok.....I just looked at the machines. They are older oliver macines from 1929+/-. They both are in decent shape:

6" Jointer:
Model No: 144
Serial #: 36503
1 HP 110/220V Dayton Motor
Single belt drive
24" fence
approx 50" bed

Works well, minimal vibration, adjustments work

18" Bandsaw
Model #: 192
Serial #: 37505
1 HP 110/220V Dayton Motor
Needs: miter gauge, possible fence, blades, tires

Owner is asking $500 for both machines. They appear well made of good old fashion iron which is a plus. I'll also ask around on the owwm site. Any thoughts on the machines, prices or parts availability? Thanks again for the info and responses.

lou sansone
10-10-2006, 9:03 PM
a couple of thoughts on the machines. sure oliver is great stuff and I have owned some of it. but the jointer is on the small side and I think you would out grow them soon. If you don't mind reselling them down the road, when you move up to some larger machines, the price seems fine to me
best wishes
lou

Alan DuBoff
10-10-2006, 9:52 PM
David,

Those sound sweet to me, and from 1929+ should have ball bearings rather than babbitt.

Some folks consider babbitt to be a plus, but I feel the need to oil them when you use them make it a definitely downside and possible chance for failure when one doesn't perform that maintenance. The older and cooler machines are babbitt though.

Did you confirm they have ball bearings in them?

I know what I would do, but you need to decide for yourself.

I'd offer $300, the basic rule of thumb is that if you don't embarrass yourself the first offer, you didn't offer low enough. ;) He'll most likely turn you down, but you can always pay the $500.:D

I would pay the $500 for those machines, because even though they're not large machines, they must certainly be quality machines. I have Dana Batory's book at home, I'll try to see what they say as Oliver is one of the 4 companies in the first Batory book, and it might allude to when the ball bearings were introduced, but I suspect that those are ball bearings.

Good luck in your quest for old arn.:cool:

Lou makes a good point about upgrading later, but I have a Yates-American 6" jointer with 3 phase 1/2 HP direct drive motor, and I plan to use that until I find a decent 12" or larger jointer. Depending on your needs those just might be fine machines.