PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for table legs for walnut slab?

Ben Rafael
10-10-2006, 12:49 PM
I have a walnut slab, about 1 1/2" thick, about 3feet by 2 feet. The top is nice and will make a nice coffee table. Does anybody have any ideas for legs that would look nice/match well with a top like this. I plan on putting a oil/varnish finish on it.
Thanks.

Paul Held
10-10-2006, 12:58 PM
I assume that you don't want to go with wlanut for the legs. If so I would consider figured maple. Paul

Ben Rafael
10-10-2006, 1:29 PM
I do want walnut. My question pertains to the shape/style of the legs, even to how it should be joined having an effect on the look.

Dan Gill
10-10-2006, 2:41 PM
I remember a Woodworks episode where David Marks made a table from a thick slab and put equally thick, angled legs under it, I believe. He also did a bench with almost rectangular legs covered in patina-ed copper.

One thing to consider is the style of the room where it will go. You might not want an asian-themed coffee table if the rest of the furniture is Shaker.

Joe Jensen
10-10-2006, 3:10 PM
I'd consider a tressle style, or a craftsman style (assuming this fits your room). If you have modern, I'd do something other than wood. Maybe stone or cast concrete, or steel that has a pattern sanded on it and has been clear coated...joe

Ben Rafael
10-10-2006, 3:13 PM
The room is kind of a contemporary spanish. Styles that would work are rustic, contempory, craftsman, art deco.
I like the stone idea. That is definitely something I will put some thought into.

Jim Becker
10-10-2006, 11:18 PM
Ben, the look you want to have will determine how you proceed. On one of my slab tables, I have three turned ash legs that are through the top and wedged. On the slab bench I'm in process of completing, I built a structure using additional "slab material" that mirrored the nice crotch figure and used a stretcher with chamfered through-tenons. (Search on threads under my name with Advanced Search to see pics) You might study George Nakashima's work to get additional ideas for handling things under our table top.