PDA

View Full Version : Identify this wood type.

Julio Navarro
10-10-2006, 12:48 PM
Can any one take a guess at what type of wood this is?

I was driving to my daughters school when I saw workmen cutting and shreading a large old tree. They had it almost down to a stump and had a few "blocks" lying around. I made a U-turn and asked if I could have some of it.

I only had space enough in my car for this piece.

Any clue what kind of wood it is?

The tree was thick and stumpy, tall, but not too tall, broad leaf, 48282

I think I can get a few plates, maybe practice some bowls.

I imagine I will have to let it dry, maybe the DNA bath would help dry it.

If I slice it up into maybe three disks. would that help it dry faster.

My lathe is not that big so I dont think I can handle a large piece, but a few small peices would work.

Don Baer
10-10-2006, 12:55 PM
Jullio,
Can't help with the ID on the wood but, get some Anchorseal or the woodcraft/Rockler equivilent on that right away. DAMHIKT

George Conklin
10-10-2006, 1:10 PM
I have no clue what kind of tree that is, but it sure is a nice score:D .

Gary DeWitt
10-10-2006, 1:12 PM
First thing you need to do, today if possible, is slice the log down the middle and remove the pith. Make two slices, with the grain, about an inch apart on either side of the pith. Otherwise, the wood is likely to crack and split radially, from the center out. Here's a pictorial on how to do this.
http://www.enter.net/~ultradad/logcutting.html
Next, you must seal the end grain, Anchorseal or a couple coats of latex paint. Today also, if possible.
If all this is not possible, you will still have some wood left after it cracks for small boxes and spindle projects, all is not lost.

George Conklin
10-10-2006, 1:13 PM
Jullio,
Can't help with the ID on the wood but, get some Anchorseal or the woodcraft/Rockler equivilent on that right away. DAMHIKT

Caution**Thread Hijack**

Hey, Don. Nice to have you back. No more vacations for you;) :) .

Thread hijack over.

Christopher K. Hartley
10-10-2006, 1:18 PM
Julio, it looks almost identical to some logs of Pecan that I got with Ernie. Bark and wood color very similar.:)

Cody Colston
10-10-2006, 1:34 PM
Looks like Water Oak.

Reed Gray
10-10-2006, 2:22 PM
I'll second the possibility that you have some oak, although which kind I can't tell, but would guess a red or maybe pin, or maybe black. The rays/lines coming out of the center are a good clue to it being oak. If you quarter saw it (down the center along what looks like a crack that is already there, they will show up nicely.
robo hippy

Julio Navarro
10-10-2006, 4:26 PM
OK, here I go sounding ignorant again, ...

What is the pith and why does it have to be removed?

Julio Navarro
10-10-2006, 4:28 PM
I have to go out of town tonight for three days:( !!!

I hope it stays ok, if I seal it with the wax or latex will that keep it till I get back?

Ernie Nyvall
10-10-2006, 10:59 PM
OK, here I go sounding ignorant again, ...

What is the pith and why does it have to be removed?

Julio, the pith is the very center and it needs to be cut out because that is where most cracks begin. You can keep them from spreading towards the bark if you get it cut out.

You say it had a broad leef. About how big and what kind of shape?

Tom Morton
10-12-2006, 9:51 AM
If the sap of the wood is the color of blood and the sap runs like blood and when first cut the heart wood was blood red and the sap wood bright white you have a piece of Bishofia Javanica aka Bishop Wood or Toog Tree. An import to Florida to be used as a shade tree along streets. The wood is great for turning. Any finish other that a water clear finish will turn the completed pieces a chocolate brown. A water clear finish - ie two light coats of Krylon Matte Finish - available at Walmart and buffed with the Beall Syetem will result in a piece that has a pink cast. I used beeswax disolved in gum turpentine which left the wood with its natural pinkish cast. Checking is not a bad as fruit wood but it will check. Appears to get sap pockets in the wood that after turning creat checks.

Great wood and a great find.

How does a person with a location of Eastport, ME know about Florida trees? Because that person spends the winters in Bradenton, FL and turns local wood and identifies the wierd stuff when he can.

The tree when you found it may have had a very characteristic berry, just over pea sized, opaque meat around a single seed that grows in good sized clusters reminicent of bunched cherries. The State of Florida in it's wisdom considers the tree a "weed tree".

Bill Boehme
10-12-2006, 11:55 AM
It is definitely oak. The medullar rays are very prominent. If your color balance is correct, it is probably red oak and the bark also seems to indicate that it is red oak. Were the leaves round lobed or pointed lobes. Roound lobes is white oak and pointed lobes is red oak.

Bill