PDA

View Full Version : First Timer--Question on Cabinet Switches for Lighting

Dwayne R. Nahorodny
10-10-2006, 11:48 AM
Hey Guys and Gals,

This is my first time posting but I'm sure I'll be back often.

I have a project I'm working on that calls for automatic switches that will turn the small low-voltage lights on when the large cabinet doors open. They're going into a 7'x14' set of cedar waredrobes.

I'm using self-closing european hinges so the spring on the switch can't be too strong or I fear the doors may not close all the way.

What have you used in the past and who might be carrying them. The only one I've found so far is from Rockler, and I will need to modify it slightly so it will work.

I haven't totally ruled out making my own auto switches or just going with a few of those manual "tap" switches.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and ideas.

Don Baer
10-10-2006, 12:03 PM
Hi Dwayne,
Welcome to the creek. Since it's a low voltage circuit I'd look at some of the magnetic switches that are used for burgerler alarm systems. The can be Normaly open or Normaly closed depending on the need. Just mount the swith on the cabinate and the magnet on the doors. You could even hide the magbets in the wood if you wanted to.

BTW I checked out your webpage. Some very interesting project. We have a few other Architech/woodworkers on the Site, Mark Singer is one of them.

Dwayne R. Nahorodny
10-10-2006, 1:13 PM
Thanks Don,

I'll look into those switches.

And thanks for the web comments. I never cared much for the word "easier" and I'm always pushing for that "design especially" concept on my projects.

There are way too many copies of copies out there and the last thing we should be is a nation of the substitute. If I can get these ideas to fit into even the smallest of budgets, then I've succeeded where the developer and mega-builder has failed.

That will always be our greatest challenge.

Don Baer
10-10-2006, 5:02 PM
Glad I could be of some help, thats what Sawmill Creek is all about. Another Architech/woodworker is Paul B Cresti. Both he and Mark Singer are great contributers to the creek. I look forward to seeing some of your projects.

Jamie Buxton
10-10-2006, 9:10 PM
I know those switches as "jamb switch" or "door switch". There's one on this page --- http://wwhardware.com/catalog.cfm/GroupID/Lighting%2C%20Cabinet%20%26%20Furniture/CatID/Dimmers%20and%20Switches/showprod/1 . It is the second item down.

Jamie Buxton
10-10-2006, 9:42 PM
I believe that those magnetic switches from burglar alarms handle rather small currents -- maybe 20 mA. The current involved in low-voltage lighting is much larger -- several amps. For instance, just one 50W 12 volt bulb eats 4 amps.