PDA

View Full Version : Craft Show Displays...

Phyllis Meyer
10-10-2006, 11:47 AM
Hi Everyone,

Would you post pictures of your craft show displays/set up? What works best for: hanging, and also for making walls in a booth? 1st craft show coming up, would like the experts to comment! Help! What are your best sellers at this time of year?

Sincerely,

Phyllis:)

Cecil Arnold
10-10-2006, 12:08 PM
Phyllis,

After getting everything stored in a shop rebuild I can't post pics of my booth set-up, but one simple easy way to do walls/shelves is to use a pair of louvered bi-fold doors. Put a set of hinges in the middle of the door pair to join them. Open the set with the two doors you joined forming the center and the outside doors at about 45* and it is self supporting. Take out louvers at the bottom, top, and middle (I have five shelves) cut some 1X12 to match the opening, route a 3/4" dado about 1" from th edge which will allow the shelf to "lock in" to the door assembly, and you are done. You have a wall that both separates you from the next booth and holds your shelves. If you desire you can add some eyes at the bottom and drive anchors into the ground to give it some added support in strong wind conditions.

Nancy Laird
10-10-2006, 1:51 PM
Phyllis, I wish I had seen this post on Friday--I was at a craft fair on Saturday and could have taken some good pictures. But the walls I'm going to describe are in my fair trailer right now and won't come out again until 10/21.

Anyway, my husband made me some "walls" from pegboard and pine. The pegboard is painted (sprayed) with an almond paint, and the frames are dark walnut-stained pine. He made my walls about 6' high and 3' wide, but they could be shorter. There are four of them, and two are hinged to make a corner (he also made a stabilizer bar to go across the top to keep the corner square--I can also hang things from it if I'm so inclined). The two corner walls fit perfectly into an 8' booth with an opening between them. I usually try to keep them out from the back wall of the booth so I can stash extras behind them.

He then made shelves to go on the pegboard--you can buy shelf hooks at 8, 10, and 12". Some of my stuff gets put on the shelves, other stuff gets hung from the pegboard itself on smaller hooks. In certain places, like in a corner booth, I can put one of the "corners" in a spot where I can use both sides of the walls.

Granted, these are heavy and take two people to carry and put up, but once they are in place, they are a real eye-catcher. I've had other crafters drop their jaws when I tell them where they came from, and one crafter from Saturday is seriously considering having my spouse build a set for her.

The same technique--framed pegboard--could be used to make an A-frame display as tall as you would want it.

This type display appealed to me because we make lots of wooden stuff for sale, and also the cream and walnut color scheme compliments the lasered plaques and other products we make.

If you have someone handy around, this might be a solution. Good luck!

Nancy

(P.S. Phyllis-what did you do about your lasered albums??)

Phyllis Meyer
10-10-2006, 5:06 PM
:) Thanks Cecil and Nancy, What excellent ideas! Thanks for responding! What are your favorite craft show items? Best Sellers?

Enjoy the day,

Phyllis

Nancy Laird
10-10-2006, 5:58 PM
:) Thanks Cecil and Nancy, What excellent ideas! Thanks for responding! What are your favorite craft show items? Best Sellers?

Enjoy the day,

Phyllis

Favorite items: If I'm shopping: pottery, photography or brush art, wood and metal work, glass art, anything unique that there aren't 47 booths of.
If I'm selling: my pens, lasered items like luggage tags, key tabs, padded/fabric paperback book covers (they get snapped up like hotcakes). Casual on-lookers don't know if you're reading the Bible or a bodice-ripper.:D

My best sellers are as above.

I am SOOOOOOOooo tired of seeing jewelry, jewelry, jewelry. Some of it is really trashy and not something I'd let my cat wear (but I'm "older" and more conservative). I'm also tired of seeing straw wreaths with straw flowers. I will always stop at a booth with original photographs or original artwork. Over the past month at craft fairs I've bought an original oil, an original watercolor, and a gorgeous photograph of a roadrunner. I've just about spent all my proceeds from two craft fairs. (But the money comes out of a different pocket.)

I will send pictures, I promise.

Nancy

Aleta Allen
10-11-2006, 9:56 AM
nancy, I see you sell southwest furniture, do you have a web site? We also do a some of the southwest type woodwork. Would love to see others. We specialize in western, southwest items. aleta

Nancy Laird
10-11-2006, 10:07 AM
Aleta,

No website as yet,:( but I've sent you a PM.

Debbie Sweet
10-11-2006, 12:37 PM
Hi Nancy,
I'll be in a craft show soon and looking for a hot seller - what is a padded fabric bookcover and where do you get them? Then do you laser a design on them?
Thank Debbie Sweet

Nancy Laird
10-11-2006, 3:18 PM
Debbie,

I sell the book covers on consignment for a friend who owns the company (a high-school classmate of my husband's). They are made for mass-size paperbacks. They have a stiff cardboard center, padded and covered with many different fabric designs. They are usually lined with a contrasting fabric, have a ribbon (grosgrain) bookmark sewn in and a tab that holds the whole thing closed with Velcro. I can put you in touch with my friend if you wish. He sells them for $5.95 each and I'm getting $10 each. He also has/had some of the larger size for the "trade"-size paperbacks, but I'm not sure what he might have left. I have several in a tapestry fabric, but that size doesn't sell well at craft fairs.

I have a friend who carries one in her purse with cards (birthday, etc.) and note cards in it for those times when she has to wait for an appointment or at lunch and she can dash off a quick note to someone. With a little bit of modification (moving the closure), they could be folded in thirds for use as a checkbook.

Patterns (as I can recall, since I'm not home to look at my stock):

Cats - two or three different designs
Dogs - two or three different designs
Roosters
Horses
Two different balloon designs, one modern, one vintage (after all,
Albuquerque IS the hot-air balloon capital of the world)
Multiple Southwest designs, including Indian blanket, pottery
Multiple patriotic designs, including just flags and one design that looks
like a vintage quilt.

That's all I can recall at the moment, and I'm sure he has added some new designs for this season. They are made right here in Albuquerque, so if you are a "Made in USA" person, as I am, they will fit right in. As I said, they fly out of my booth at $10.00 each, with lots of people buying multiples. I push them at this time of the year for gift exchanges at work or school, or for a small gift for someone that you don't spend a lot of money on. Pop in a paperback (even a used one if it's something you know your recipient will like), and you have a great gift for about $15.00 or so.

Let me know if you'd like to contact my supplier. He's here in Albuquerque too, just a phone call away.

Nancy

Nancy Laird
10-21-2006, 8:47 PM
Here's my craft fair booth as taken today:

This was a rather small space, about 6 x 10' - as you will see, one corner is at the left, with shelves, and the other corner is at the right, with shelves. The corner walls are about 4' x 6.5' and go together with plain hinges (the pins come out for transport). They are almond-painted peg board framed in pine, and the shelves are pine. My husband built these and they just about take two people to carry, but they make an impressive booth. He built the tabletop for a ShopBoss, and the cloth (red chile peppers on yellow) is attached to the inside of the table apron with Velcro. On the table you can "sort of" see my pen display, and the display for the key tags we make. On the right shelves are plaques we cut on the laser, and above are hanging tile trivets. On the left-hand top shelf are some examples of the glassware we are engraving (don't show up well), and one of my clocks is hanging to the right of that. The table in the right front corner is an A&C modified for Southwest.

Nancy

Phyllis Meyer
10-23-2006, 10:48 AM
Wow Nancy, very impressive, thank you so much for the picture! It really helps to SEE instead of just read! Thank you again!

Sincerely,

Karin Voorhis
11-16-2006, 9:10 AM
Nancy that is a very lovely setup. Nice... ... profesional and very clean looking...

I have nothing like that at all but I thought I would share the 2 pics I have any ways just in case it would help someone.

I am so new and green that I have not much to offer however I will try as I go along....... I have only done 3 craft shows ever and here are a couple of pics. There is so much to learn and so much to figure out each time.

I am having fun and the last show I made back a bit more then my table fee......

I can not seem to post the pictures so here is a link to them if this works...

Click here for table display Pic (http://funwithgraphics.com/showtable.jpg)

Yes that is my mug my very sleepy mug in the pic too. :eek:

Also I am trying to work it out to see where I am going to have Ed Lang work something up for me. Now that my shop is coming along in a month I should have a way better idea.

Mitchell Andrus
11-16-2006, 10:12 AM
Nice. I assume the coasters are cork faced, lasered?

Mitch

Karin Voorhis
11-16-2006, 10:25 AM
Nice. I assume the coasters are cork faced, lasered?

Mitch

Yes the coasters are cork in the center of wood frames... I laser many different things on them however people seem to jump up and down on the detail but I have only sold 1 set.

I am not in it for the $$ I have a job I am just having fun and it would be nice to have the hobby and play time pay for itself. :rolleyes:

Jay Purkey
11-16-2006, 1:27 PM
If I did this right this was our display last week at the Indianapolis Gift & Hobby Show
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/attach/jpg.gif
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=50211&stc=1&d=1163701466
display2.jpg
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=50212&stc=1&d=1163701537
display3.jpg

Jay Purkey
amazingengraving.net
30w mercury

Michael Kowalczyk
11-16-2006, 4:18 PM
Nancy that is a very lovely setup. Nice... ... profesional and very clean looking...

I have nothing like that at all but I thought I would share the 2 pics I have any ways just in case it would help someone.

I am so new and green that I have not much to offer however I will try as I go along....... I have only done 3 craft shows ever and here are a couple of pics. There is so much to learn and so much to figure out each time.

I am having fun and the last show I made back a bit more then my table fee......

Also I am trying to work it out to see where I am going to have Ed Lang work something up for me. Now that my shop is coming along in a month I should have a way better idea.

Karin nice set up. Is that velour table cloth PURPLE :cool:

That is how mine looks sometimes in pictures. I have a wall in the corner of one of my offices that I use for a photo studio for our other products mainly.

Michael Kowalczyk
11-16-2006, 4:24 PM
If I did this right this was our display last week at the Indianapolis Gift & Hobby Show
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/attach/jpg.gif
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=50211&stc=1&d=1163701466
display2.jpg
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=50212&stc=1&d=1163701537
display3.jpg

Jay Purkey
amazingengraving.net
30w mercury

Hey Jay ,
Nice setup. Which one is your best seller? How did your LaserBuzz doll house do?

Thanks for the post,

Phyllis Meyer
11-16-2006, 6:17 PM
Hi Jay,

Awesome Display! I would be very interested also in what are your best sellers? Thanks everyone for showing pictures! It just helps a newbie to see photos!

Sincerely,

Dennis Kotlowski
11-16-2006, 8:58 PM
Here are a few pics from my last show.

Dennis
JD Laser Gifts

Frank Corker
11-17-2006, 5:51 AM

Karin, I have just been having a look at your table display there, the picture that you have of the car on granite. That appears to be a negative and not a positive, was it intentional?

Steve McKee
11-17-2006, 8:43 AM
Very impressive display booth there Dennis. LOML and I have recently started doing craft shows but our display is far from yours. Perhaps some day.

Steve

Karin Voorhis
11-17-2006, 9:38 AM
Karin nice set up. Is that velour table cloth PURPLE :cool:

That is how mine looks sometimes in pictures. I have a wall in the corner of one of my offices that I use for a photo studio for our other products mainly.

Yes you are right and I also use it for pictures that is what I got it for many years ago. only 3 shows and not much at all happening but I must say I get a lot of compliments on the purple cloth. I love the pic did you make the chair it is nice.

Frank. I am kinda lost I Just got some granit and it was my first run after buying photograve and downloading the granit module. Did I do something wrong????

Jay Purkey
11-17-2006, 11:08 AM
We did the best with the Military Wall Tributes. We had several people look at the Doll houses but, only sold one kit for $75. But now the phone is starting to ring for picture plaques and frames.

Jay Purkey
30w Mercury

Dave Jones
11-17-2006, 11:32 AM
Karin, When you laser wood it starts out light and gets dark where the laser hits it. When you do black marble or granit, it starts out dark and gets lighter when the laser hits it.

To make an image look "normal" on black stone you would first make the image negative. That way the light parts of the original image are what gets lasered the strongest, and in turn come out the lightest on the stone.

A program like PhotoGrav makes the image negative automatically when you select a black material.

Karin Voorhis
11-17-2006, 12:29 PM
Karin, When you laser wood it starts out light and gets dark where the laser hits it. When you do black marble or granit, it starts out dark and gets lighter when the laser hits it.

To make an image look "normal" on black stone you would first make the image negative. That way the light parts of the original image are what gets lasered the strongest, and in turn come out the lightest on the stone.

A program like PhotoGrav makes the image negative automatically when you select a black material.

OK thank you for that info. I understand it now and will be more watchful of this. if it is wrong yes I did use photograve but perhaps I told it not to switch it I believe there is a dialog box that asks before you save it I may have done it backwards looks cool just not white enough.
I am guess use slower speed to get it whiter looking?????

Dave Jones
11-17-2006, 1:09 PM
It'll never really be white, and from what I read if you go too slow or too much power it gets grayer.

Keith here discovered that a coating of Armor-All protectant will make it engrave a bit whiter.

When using Photograv, if you don't have the black marble/granit material as a choice, select the black plastic material. The speeds will be wrong, but the image will be negative.

Negative image is different from the left/right reversal that is used for rear engraving plastic. In those you want to reverse the image left to right since it's going to be seen through the acrylic from the back.

Frank Corker
11-17-2006, 2:58 PM
Frank. I am kinda lost I Just got some granit and it was my first run after buying photograve and downloading the granit module. Did I do something wrong????

Hi Karin,

Have a look at the clip attached. This is from your display, on the right is how it appears on your display, on the left is a negative of your granite plaque. You have engraved a negative. If you still have the original that you did this from it would work fine on the back of a mirror and sprayed black. If you pm me your email address I can send you a small file to show you how it should appear in corel etc.

Frank

Dave Jones
11-17-2006, 4:55 PM
This is an image I made for a different thread on a different forum, but it's usefull because it shows the process of turning the original image negative to end up with a positive once it's lasered onto black stone.

http://www.redtengu.com/images/raw/marylin_tile.jpg

Shaddy Dedmore
11-17-2006, 6:25 PM
Great example Dave, it's hard explaining that particular concept. You should make a new thread with an appropriate title so it can be easier to search for.

Shaddy