PDA

View Full Version : Inexpensive Chest of Drawers plans

Dan Gill
10-10-2006, 10:59 AM
Recently, the folks in my class at church helped out some people who were finally moving into a rent house after living in a one-bedroom apartment with their son and three teenage granddaughters for about a year. Needless to say, they had no furniture, and we managed to pull together a few beds, a table, fridge, etc. What we didn't have were dressers or chests of drawers.

I've made a couple of dressers for myself, and I started thinking about drawing up plans to make some for them. But the cost of materials, not to mention the time involved, really threw me for a loop. I'm not in the best financial position at the moment myself, and lots of other folks are in the same boat. That led to further thought, and I started toying with ideas for materials and construction methods for creating a sturdy, useful chest of drawers as inexpensively as possible. This would be a great thing for all sorts of charities that focus on housing needs.

So I'm opening this up to the Creek. Do any of you have ideas for materials/plans/building techniques to do this? Any experience doing this in the past? I would like to limit the techniques to things most amateurs can do with the tools they normally have or can inexpensively acquire. That would mean no commercial edge bander, for instance. Joinery should probably be simple, and hardware should be inexpensive.

Thanks for any input you can offer.

Dan

Don Baer
10-10-2006, 11:09 AM
Heres one

http://www.popularmechanics.com/home_journal/woodworking/1273196.html

Gary Breckenridge
10-10-2006, 11:47 AM
:) New and handmade is just plain expensive. Cheap furniture is cheap and it just doesn't last. I suggest thrift stores and second hand stores. Buy solid pieces that just need a refinish or minor repairs.;)

Tom Jones III
10-10-2006, 11:47 AM
Take a look at this link for my inexpensive chest of drawers
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=28037

I have since gotten the price down to $65 each of actual wood used although the price is more like $100 with waste and if you do not get the added efficiency of building 3 at once. Feel free to contact me if you want more information.