PDA

View Full Version : Not Impressed!

Jason Morgan
10-10-2006, 8:25 AM
Not sure about use of brand names here on the forum, but Ill include them. If that's a big no-no, please let me know.

I am building a set of dressers for my daughters and am at the (dreaded) sanding stage. I was using the Norton "3x lifetime" hook and loop pads for my Dewalt 5" ROS and was very pleased with how it was going. Well, I ran out of them and thought, I have to go to the blue borg for some trim and other supplies and Ill pick up some more. Go over to the sander supply station and all they have are about 30 different variations of this "Gator" brand and a few 3M brand hook and loop sanding disks. I though, "well, how bad can they be?". They werent terribly cheap or terribly expensive, but they didnt work worth a *&%$ (I guess price is not absolutely an indicator of performance with sandpaper). First off, with the Nortons, I was getting about 2 drawer fronts (at 100grit) per pad, with these it was nearly 2 pads per drawer front. They would simply just stop cutting. Also, the new pads would immediately start losing grit that would fly all over and make swirl marks. I thought maybe something else was wrong so I put on one of my partially used Nortons and it sanded fine (much better in fact). Ive used nearly all the 80 grit (they didnt have 100grit) and Im reluctant to use the 120grit (should take the *&%# thigs back). I plan on making the trip to the orange borg and getting some more Nortons to finish the project, but I am wondering about the klingspors? Ive heard they are one of the premium sandpapers? Any other suggestions?

Thanks...

Carl Eyman
10-10-2006, 8:43 AM
Jason:
Brand names are OK, but unsubstantiated criticism is not. A specific complaint, like yours, is ok. I've not used Norton so I can't compare, but I do use Klingspor and like them.

Rennie Heuer
10-10-2006, 8:55 AM
(should take the *&%# thigs back...

Hi Jason,

I use the 3x almost exclusively, having found them to be well worth the premium price. Have yet to try Klingspor, but want to do so someday.

In answer to your question, I would definitely take them back - and I would be very clear as to why I was retuning them. If enough people do, we may see a change on the shelves - and that's the ultimate goal....right. ;)

Jon Eckels
10-10-2006, 9:06 AM
I don't have much personal experience with klingspor myself, but I used to work at a hardware store/lumberyard where we used to carry it. We had so many complaints about particularly their sheets and sponges, from our painters and re-finishers that we had to drop the line. I didn't use sandpaper a lot at the time, but when I did use the sheets i remember them being very brittle and snapping into sections far too easily... like there was too much glue used or something. Maybe the disks were different, but I don't really know much about them. We decided to replace with 3M and it seemed to make everyone happy.

Maybe they've improved their product in the past few years?

When it comes to 5" ROS disks i like Dewalt's disks the best. They're readily available at my local yard and seem to hold up better than most other brands I've used in the past.

Matt Meiser
10-10-2006, 9:11 AM
Before I got my Festool sander I used the Mirka Gold. I think it was actually cheaper than the BORG stuff, and better quality too. I got mine from Peachtree Woodworking at The Woodworking Shows for about $15/50.

John Downey
10-10-2006, 10:18 AM
If there's any way you can hook up a vacuum to the ROS, I've found that it increases the life of your sandpaper. I've used Klingspor and Mirka, both make good sandpaper. Lately I've been buying Norton at HD as it's pretty convenient and good stuff too.

I'm a bit surprise that 3M would put out such a bum product. Perhaps its either a bad run of glue or they're reselling someone elses stuff. I'd definitely take the 120 back to the store and also see if there's a phone # or email for 3M on the packaging. They can't fix their adhesive if no one tells them it stinks!

John

Blaine Harrison
10-10-2006, 4:43 PM
I have used both Mirka and the Norton 3X papers. I've been happy with the Mirka before being given a small pack of the 3X at a Woodworking show a couple of years ago. I've got a supply of both now.

I agree with using the vacuum on the ROS. I was sanding a sofa table (probably about 30-40 sqft of surface) and used only one sheet of 5" diameter 150 grit paper for the whole thing. I was surprised and the paper was definitely spent at the end of the job, but I didn't need a second sheet. This was the Mirka brand and what was different from my previous experience was that I hooked up my shop vac to the exhaust port of the ROS. The paper stayed clean the entire job. It also had the advantage of not having to breath the dust in the air.

I hate how loud my shop vac is and I wear hearing protection when it's on, but I'm a convert for using it with the ROS now.

Blaine

J.R. Rutter
10-10-2006, 6:54 PM
The Gator stuff that I've used has been LOUSY! Emery cloth too. Now that I use the Festool sanders, I've been happy with their H&L disks (and sanders).