PDA

View Full Version : i think kids gonna steal my rikon

CORY FETZER
10-09-2006, 11:11 PM
Brought rikon home today wouldnt let him turn on old c-man to dangerous

after 20 min of me showing him what gouges etc do what and how to use of what i remembered from h.s. shop / i said u wanna try i put in a practice pen blank for him showed him what worked what and guess what he turned practice blanks for 5 hours staraight i got new lathe only got to use for 20 min
hes already planning on making pens for christmas presents i think i lost my lathe in the first day

CORY FETZER
10-09-2006, 11:12 PM
i gotta take better pics

Ernie Nyvall
10-09-2006, 11:28 PM
I think I'd be tickled pink... and I believe you are.:D Looks like a two lathe family.

Hank Stankovich
10-09-2006, 11:30 PM
Mine just got dropped off by FedUp today.

It is so quiet and smooooth. I also ordered the bed extension.

In all my excitement I made a big mistake and forgot to change the speed (was on 3800) and threw up some 3x3x38 northern ash stock. Thankfully, I always stand to the left of the head stock until it gets to max speed when I first start using it for the day. It took about 5 seconds for it to spit that thing about 5 feet. :D After I got my head on straight I turned out a very nice replica of my favorite bat. Nothing like wanting to finish it and jump out and take open field batting practice with it.

Is there anywhere to get a custom logo woodbrander? Or maybe just a nice looking gothic "S" branding kit?

Overall I am VERY pleased with it and I went against the Jet grain everyone seems to have. Now I just need a bigger and better roughing gouge.

I would recommend to anyone just getting in to lathe work!

Ernie Nyvall
10-09-2006, 11:45 PM
Is there anywhere to get a custom logo woodbrander? Or maybe just a nice looking gothic "S" branding kit?

You can get them through Rockler. I haven't looked around though for a better price.

Corey Hallagan
10-09-2006, 11:46 PM
Ha ha.... is there room for a second lathe in the shop? I think you lost that one!

Corey

CORY FETZER
10-09-2006, 11:49 PM
yea plenty of room thank goodness im off tommorrow and hes in school

Chris Baer
10-10-2006, 12:08 AM
Cory that's okay I've kinda taken over my Pops lathe also. I do bring home wood i find to replce what I use. Just look for thred "another wood gloat" by Don Baer. Just make sure if your son does he doesn't cut anyones tree down.

Bernie Weishapl
10-10-2006, 1:01 AM
Hey Cory you might as well face the facts and while they are on sale go for number 2. :eek: :D You get him started and you aren't going to get any time.:mad: So I say go for it.:p It is a lot of fun when two of you can turn.

Pete Jordan
10-10-2006, 7:22 AM
I can't think of a thing that sounds better than that! You are so lucky to have his interest at this age. Just imagine how good he is going to get!
Enjoy your time together and your new upcoming lathe.

CORY FETZER
10-10-2006, 8:39 AM
yea this is the only intrest besides scrolling he has ever had in woodworking he dosent care for the flatwork at all