PDA

View Full Version : Auger bits

Ray Sheley
10-09-2006, 7:20 PM
I bought a box full of Auger bits that had been sitting in a barn for years.
Surface rust but no serious pitting, most were dull, but some serious sizes (2" on down to 1/4"), some with brace tangs, some for Jacobs.
I'm laying down the pilings to compensate for my sloping ground, and have decided to layout the support beams at the very least before the snow flies, which means some pretty good sized counterbores to clear the 1/2 washers and nuts holding the clamp plates to the pilings.
I decided to clean up the worst chewed up 1 1/2" auger, both cutting faces looked like they met up with a nail, really buggered up.
Some quick file work, and those barn bits spit out chips that reminded me of broken quarters. You have just got to love those G-Sale finds.

Maurice Metzger
10-10-2006, 10:09 AM
Ray, I'd like to believe you, I really would, if only there was ... a picture!

Just kidding, sounds like a nice find. I use new Norton auger bits that are just adequate, even after touching them up with a file.

Maurice

Frank Fusco
10-10-2006, 10:40 AM
Congrats on a good find. Those old auger bits do work just fine.

Ray Sheley
10-10-2006, 10:19 PM
I wasn't really expecting much from these bits. I thought that I would hit them with a file, eyeball them to something close for now then fight with them a bit to get the immediate job done, only to be rquired to clean them up later.
Maybe I got lucky, but they tore out some wood. I definitely need to attend to them to get a clean bottom cut, but they made quick work for the (8) honkin' holes that I needed now, and they were not horrible looking counterbores.
I like them! :D

Maurice Metzger
10-11-2006, 9:01 AM
I use new Norton auger bits

Oops, that should be Irwin auger bits. Don't mean to run down Norton's good name.

Maurice