PDA

View Full Version : New bandsaw

Travis Porter
10-09-2006, 7:06 PM
I haven't started a thread in a long time, but I got me a new toy. I got the money to buy a new bandsaw (after spending $800 upgrading my old one:confused: ) and took the plunge. I ended up getting the MM24 based on what I have read and reading what Tod Evans and Paul Cresti have to say. So, if the LOML runs me off it is their falut.
This one is a single phase model, and you definitively need a minimum of a 30 amp circuit to run it.

Unfortunately, it was slightly damaged in shipping. Minimax is shipping me the parts I need and helping out very well overall.

Today I got my carbide blade for it, and I have to say thisi s one cutting machine. My only negative with it is the manual. It is a true worthless POS, but all in all I have no regrets. This is one serious cutting machine.
Oh, and don't buy the miter gauge. It isn't worth it IMO.

glenn bradley
10-09-2006, 7:14 PM
That much for a tool and they don't throw in the miter gauge. From the picture maybe they're embarrased of it and hope no one will ask for it. All kidding aside, congrats on a great tool!

Richard Wolf
10-09-2006, 7:15 PM
I think there is still a downloadable owners manual on the Mini Max forum in Yahoo.
That's a biggin!
Good luck with it.

Richard

Corey Hallagan
10-09-2006, 7:40 PM
Congrats on the new BS! That is huge. It looks like it sets very low at the table height or is that just an illusion from it's overall heighth. I could see my back stiffening up after a few minutes sawing there!

Corey

Rye Crane
10-09-2006, 8:13 PM
Hi Travis,

Congratulations on your new bandsaw. I got my MM24 about 6 mts ago and love it. A couple of things I did in tuning it up may help you. I had a little vibration from the blade passing through the guides. It wasn't the weld so I looked further. When I disassembled the guides and cleaned them up I went ahead and polished the bearing surfaces, it stopped the noise and I also use a little dry lube on the blade once in a while. I also made a little jig to sand the tires true to the wheels, just in case to smooth it all out. It was really easy, just take some 80 grit paper, glue it to a hinged block, recess a bolt with a nut to raise it up against the wheel and by hand turning the wheel a few times I got good contact all around the surface, it didn't need much.

Then I got real ambitious and squared up the table to the blade. There are four bolts (see your pos manual page #15 fig. 12-4) It's pretty easy to adjust just don't do like I did and move more than one bolt at a time.

I also built a high and low fence out of appleply for resawing to fit over the cast iron fence. All in all its a great saw and has gravity on it's side when trying to move it around.

I hope you enjoy it, it should make a great additional to the shop.

Rye Crane

Travis Porter
10-09-2006, 9:54 PM
A blade doesn't come with it either. I waited an extra 5 days for a blade even though I ordered them with the saw.

It does sit low IMO. Around 34" from floor to table.

Tony Shaftel
10-10-2006, 12:46 AM
Big wheel up top, large resaw capacity--something's gotta give, and it ends up being the height of the table.

Joe Jensen
10-10-2006, 12:55 AM
A blade doesn't come with it either. I waited an extra 5 days for a blade even though I ordered them with the saw.

It does sit low IMO. Around 34" from floor to table.

If you use all that resaw height you'll be glad the table is at 34" :)

Joe Jensen
10-10-2006, 12:58 AM
Travis, I'm planning to buy a new Bandsaw, likely a MM16, but I wonder if I shouldn't step up to the MM20. I wouldn't have room for the MM24. Can I ask what prompted you to go for the 24 over the 16 or 20? What usage? thanks...joe

lou sansone
10-10-2006, 9:08 PM
congrats on the new saw. they make a great saw

lou

Charlie Kocourek
10-10-2006, 9:24 PM
Hey Joe,

I've got the MM16 and it is a great bandsaw. The only thing I would do differently would be to get the MM20! I say go for it.

Doug Shepard
10-10-2006, 10:31 PM
Congratulations. I echo your sentiments on the manual (the downloadable one aint much better either) and the miter gauge. I picked up the Incra V27 miter gauge for use on my MM16 and couldn't be happier with it.
Looks like you've got the room to keep the old saw for scroll stuff too you lucky dog.

Jim O'Dell
10-10-2006, 10:40 PM
Well, I was going to post a picture of my MM E16 and say "Great Grandpa, they finally let you come over from the old country!!!" but I couldn't find a picture in my archives.

Congrats on the new saw. It's a monster, and I'm sure it will serve you well for many years. Jim.

ps: if the dust collection port is the same as the E16 (100mm?) a piece of 4" PVC SD2729 is a very tight fit going over it. I got min from Lowes.

Bruce Page
10-10-2006, 11:23 PM
Congrats on the new BS Travis! I agree on the miter gauge, it's pretty shameful for a piece of equipment of MM's quality. Mine was relegated to duty on my sanding station.

Mike Weaver
10-11-2006, 8:35 AM
Travis,

Congrats!!

MM quality & customer service are both outstanding, so I'm sure you'll be up & running in no time, not to mention I'm sure you'll be pleased with the performance of the saw.

Enjoy,
-Mike