PDA

View Full Version : New guy… with a question

Steve Schlumpf
10-09-2006, 6:20 PM
I’ve been sitting on the sidelines for a long time now and just wanted to say thanks for all the information. Learning is fun when you are doing something you really love!

Been teaching myself how to turn for the last 3 years on an old 1954 Craftsman mono-tube lathe. Great lathe but I am sure you’ll all understand when I say I am ready for an upgrade.

While nothing is set in stone, I have pretty much convinced myself that the Jet 1642-2EVS should be my next lathe and would appreciate some input as to where to find the best deals on-line.

I’ll let you know if I finally get that upgrade.

Thanks in advance.

Dennis Peacock
10-09-2006, 6:35 PM
Welcome to SMC Steve. Congrats on getting things together to upgrade your lathe. It will make a big difference in your overall turning experience.:D

Matt Meiser
10-09-2006, 6:35 PM
Steve, I've got an old heavy duty Delta for sale that I just restored this past spring. It is a little smaller than the Jet you are looking at, but much less expensive too. It can do something like 16x4 over the gap in the bad, 12x36 over the entire lathe and you can turn outboard too. It has an integral steel base and is quite heavy. I refurbed the whole thing including new bearings and belts. The unique feature though is that I have a 1-1/2 HP motor with a variable frequency drive. With the VFD and the built in mechanical speed adjustment you have a lot of options. I'm asking $650 for it including some accessories.

Mike Vickery
10-09-2006, 6:40 PM
Well I am from MI originally but did not know where harvey was so I looked it up. I guess a drive to woodcraft is out of the question.

I have not bought from them but http://www.southern-tool.com/store/jet_jwl-1442_lathe.html seems to have them at what I have seen as the standard price. I think you made a smart move getting the 220 volt 2HP model. Sometimes you can find good prices on these at Amazon so you may want to keep your eye out their.

Bill Boehme
10-09-2006, 10:29 PM
Steve,

I think that Matt has a deal that is well worth looking into.

Bill

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
10-10-2006, 1:42 AM
Yep, if you can swing a trip to see Matt, I'd buy his lathe in a heartbeat.

Cheers!

Kurt Rosenzweig
10-10-2006, 9:12 AM
Take the best price you can find and then take it to The Tool Nut! Easy people to deal with and will beat any price.:D