PDA

View Full Version : No threat to Mike W. but works for me

Zahid Naqvi
10-09-2006, 6:06 PM
This is what I did this past weekend, your basic open handle without any bells and whistles. Although I have smaller hands but I prefer thick grips in almost everything (Tennis, squash, cricket, badminton...). The standard grip in most saws I handled always felt uncomfortable to me, so I finally sat down and made one from 6/4 Oak. I had made a couple before so I had a rough idea of what I like and what I consider "bells and whistles" in the traditional designs. The blade comes from a Crown tools gent's saw.

Dennis Peacock
10-09-2006, 6:37 PM
OK...I'm envious. Congrats on a nice re-handle job Zahid. Very well done. :D

Alan DuBoff
10-09-2006, 6:37 PM
Awesome! I like it. Any tool one makes for themself is all that much better!

Excellent job! I also used a Crown gent's saw to make a saw about a year and a half back, but gave it away as a gift to another galoot.

FWIW, I really like the blade a lot on those, just resharpening makes them a splendid saw!

Zahid Naqvi
10-09-2006, 10:01 PM
Excellent job! I also used a Crown gent's saw to make a saw about a year and a half back, but gave it away as a gift to another galoot.

I remember seeing pictures of that saw, it was some kind of burl, fantastic figure and equally good workmanship on shaping it.

Zahid Naqvi
10-09-2006, 10:03 PM
OK...I'm envious. Congrats on a nice re-handle job Zahid. Very well done. :D
I suspect you will get to try it soon.:D

Alan DuBoff
10-10-2006, 12:53 AM
I remember seeing pictures of that saw, it was some kind of burl, fantastic figure and equally good workmanship on shaping it.Yes, it was maple burl (http://www.softorchestra.com/woodworking/tools/saws/handsaws/galootaclaus_2005/). It was actually fairly easy to work with, but I would have liked something a bit harder. After it was shaped and finished it did feel really nice.

I'd like to make another one some day, but have been so happy with the ones that Mike made me, I haven't been inspired to do so.:)

FWIW, the reason I picked the Crown gent's saw was that it was the most similar to a Disston 68 that I could find, and I really like the Disston 68, it's a fine saw. Once I sharpened the blade of the Crown gent saw (I used an 8"), it cut very well. The recipient of the gift said it cut as well as his Independent Tool saw, and he liked the handle much better. Maybe he was just telling me that to make me feel good! <LOL!>

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
10-10-2006, 3:09 AM
Wow Zahid, I'd say you handled that really well :D

Seriously, a very nice job, making a tool custom fit your hand often makes the joy of using it only better.

Cheers!

Mike Wenzloff
10-10-2006, 10:58 AM
I echo Stu's sentiments. There is nothing better than a tool one makes or customizes to suit oneself!

Way to go Zahid!

Take care, Mike

Alan DuBoff
10-10-2006, 11:22 AM
I echo Stu's sentiments. There is nothing better than a tool one makes or customizes to suit oneself!I know a saw maker that actually asks the customers to measure their fingers on their saw hand so he can get the handles sized for their hand. Who would have thought...:rolleyes:

Steve Wargo
10-10-2006, 11:24 AM
I know a saw maker that actually asks the customers to measure their fingers on their saw hand so he can get the handles sized for their hand. Who would have thought...:rolleyes:

I know a plane maker that actually had me send a scan of my hand so he could fit the tote.:D

Alan DuBoff
10-10-2006, 11:40 AM
I know a plane maker that actually had me send a scan of my hand so he could fit the tote.:DSteve,

That's way cool also...nothing like a custom handcrafted tool, IMO! :cool:

Steve Beadle
10-13-2006, 5:02 PM
Zahid, the thick oak handle looks great AND looks like it would be comfortable for a guy like me, with huge hands.
One question, however: Is the grain orientation of no particular concern because the handle is so thick? Or maybe I should ask, is the grain orientation of this handle any different than the usual orientation when making a more standard thickness? I might try my hand at making one these myself, and I'd kind of like to know.

Thanks for sharing!

Steve

Dennis Peacock
10-13-2006, 5:07 PM
Excellent question Steve and I too will be interested in the answer.

Zahid Naqvi
10-15-2006, 1:12 AM
is the grain orientation of this handle any different than the usual orientation when making a more standard thickness? I might try my hand at making one these myself, and I'd kind of like to know.

Thanks for sharing!

Steve

Steve, I wish I could give you a more philosophical answer, but I really didn't think about it much. As you said since the wood was 6/4 I wasn't concerned about grain orientation from a strength perspective, specially on a small dovetail saw like this, which will hardly see any thing more than slight tensile stress. The only consideration I had was to keep the grain vertical in the handle as it makes it easier to use a spokeshave for shaping. If you keep the grain horizontal you would be working on endgrain most of the time.

Alan DuBoff
10-15-2006, 1:21 AM
Zahid,

As long as you're careful, it won't matter what direction the grain is running.

The first time it drops to the floor, it COULD matter quite a bit.:eek: But I don't know that would matter much either. I suspect an oak handle will be pretty durable.

I seem to remember Mike Wenzloff saying that it's more of an asthetic 'thang, and that it looks better with the grain running perpendicular to the handle.

Mike Wenzloff
10-15-2006, 2:34 AM
Many woods are stronger in the neck of an open handle if it runs fairly straight down the neck. Some are strong enough regardless.

I made a lot of handles from various woods once just to break them, to see how they failed and where, neck, horns and hand hold areas.

The Oaks and Ash were simply pretty strong whether they were flat sawn or QS, grain running straight down the neck or off straight depending on the thickness of the stock and the width of the neck.

Closed handles can be near any orientation as concerns the connectors between the cheeks and hand hold.

The thinner or more delicate the handle, the more important the grain orientation is regardless of the wood.

Take care, Mike