PDA

View Full Version : TrendAirShield,Triton, and 3M Breatheasy?

Charlie Kocourek
10-09-2006, 4:11 PM
For some time now I have thought about buying one of these powered faceshields. I was about to go ahead with the Trend because it is the least expensive and is supposed to be more comfortable than the Triton.

My concern is with the quality of the air filtration. Since the Trend and the Triton are not made to US standards it is hard to compare them. What good would it be to filter out all but the smallest and most harmful dust particals? I do not know that that is the case, but only the 3M units are actually rated to filter the smallest particals. Of course, the 3M units are MUCH more expensive!!

Does anyone know what micron size the Trend and Triton filter down to?

:confused:

Bob Childress
10-09-2006, 5:25 PM
Don't know about the Trend, but the Triton is manufactured to AS/NZS 1716 standard, which is 94% effective to 0.3 Am NaCl aerosol while the 3M is manufactured to NIOSH std 95, which is 95% effective to the same particulate matter.

For more on NIOSH standards, check this out:

http://www.pp.okstate.edu/ehs/training/nioshres.htm

These tests are of the filter only and do not take into account whether or not it is a powered respirator. Hope this helps.

FWIW, the Triton has a very good reputation I understand.

Dennis Peacock
10-09-2006, 6:47 PM
I have the Trend Air Shield and love it. Glad I made the decision I did.

Brad Wright
10-10-2006, 9:05 AM
Charlie,

The UK version of the Trend Airshield was tested against .2 to 2 micron particle (or rather aerosol) size. Here's the PDF: http://www.trendmachinery.co.uk/library/Instruction_Manuals/Airshield.pdf#search=%22trend%20airshield%20micron %22 FWIW

I don't have one. I have a JSP unit that I don't think is available in North America.

Brad

Charlie Kocourek
10-10-2006, 12:17 PM
This is the sort of information that I was looking for. According to the PDF the Airshield is designed to filter out "large particles". Certainly this is better than nothing, but I have not yet decided to buy one. Thanks for the link!!!

Bill Grumbine
10-10-2006, 2:20 PM
Charlie, the 3M Breathe Easy is different from the other two in that it uses charcoal activated filters also good for vapors. I have one, and I also have the 3M Airstream, which is more in line with the other two particulate filters you are researching. Of course, it is very expensive too, but it would be a good choice as well.

Bill

Steve Rowe
10-10-2006, 10:53 PM
Charlie,
I am going to be one of those contrarian types on this topic. I have both the Triton and the Trend and don't really care much for either. Neither one is very comfortable. The Triton with the hardhat and the annoying hood is a pain and more difficult to don. The Trend is too heavy on the head (IMO) and the headband pinches on the sides. Both do a reasonable job filtering air.

I tried a new 3M product at the IWF (don't remember the name) and it was much more comfortable. This comfort comes at a price a little over 3 times that of the Triton or Trend but this was obviously a much higher tech and superior device.

My hindsight is 20/20 and when I replace these, I will go for the 3M. The cost is a hard pill to swallow but I think I would use it a lot more than I want to use either the Triton or Trend.
Steve

SCOTT NEWTON
10-12-2006, 2:07 AM
The Trend unit is a fair unit for its price. The 3M AirStream is a good unit if you are only looking for particulate protection. However, my favorite unit is the new Adflo Clear Visor by 3M. The cartridges are stackable and it can be used for particulates or vapors (finishing). The best part is that it has a cheap replaceable prefilter and the motor will increase its speed to maintain a constant airflow as the filters clog up. Here is a link:
http://www.envirosafetyproducts.com/category/3M_ClearVisor_Adflo_System

Scott

Bill Boehme
10-12-2006, 2:48 AM
I am not sure where the 95% number came from that was quoted above by Bob Childress for the 3M units, but both the Airstream and the BreatheEasy have HEPA filters which are rated to meet NIOSH 42 CFR 84 P100 requirements. These respirators have a minimum filter efficiency of 99.97%. I think that the earlier posting may be confusing this with the 3M paper particulate masks and negative pressure respirators that have a rating of N95.

The dust that is the worst for your health is the dust that is too small to see and that passes through ordinary filters and your natural filters in your nose and throat. It is possible that N95 may be good enough, but I sort of doubt it when it comes to sanding dry wood especially if it happens to be a sensitizer like cedar or cocobolo.

I was all set to buy the more expensive 3M BreatheEasy, but I found the folks at Airware America estremely helpful and they talked me out of that and instead recommended the lower cost 3M Airstream based on my intended use. I can hardly say how happy that I am that I bit the bullet and spent the money. The Airstream is very comfortable, lightweight, and has more than twice as much airflow as the lower cost units. And, of course, the HEPA filters which essentially filter out all of the dust make it something that I am glad that I bought. I can't even smell the wood that is being turned -- not even cedar.

I also want to thank Bill Grumbine for taking the time to answer all of my pestering questions over the months that I agonized over spending that amount of money.

Mark Pruitt
10-12-2006, 9:25 AM
Charlie,

After wrestling with the same question about the Trend and Triton not being rated by US standards, I gave up on both and am using THIS (http://www.envirosafetyproducts.com/product/3M_8233_N100_Respirator) instead. It meets HEPA standards and is not uncomfortable. It is re-usable. When used in conjunction with a face shield I have all the protection I need at the lathe for only pennies of the cost of either a Trend or a Triton and I am far more confident of the level of protection. The only effective solution as far as a full face shield/respirator outfit is concerned, IMHO, is the 3M unit which is cost-prohibitive for me when I consider the acceptability of my current solution.

Personally, I am betting that in the not so distant future, both Trend and Triton are going to be confronted with the challenge of having their products rated by US standards, and we will see an improvement in their filtration. That may jack up the price, but at least we'll know what we're getting for our money.

Mark

Ralph Barhorst
10-12-2006, 11:26 AM
Mark,Do you wear glasses when using your 3M™ 8233 N100 Respirators? I have found that similar masks usually fog up my glasses. I would definitely go with the 3M mask if it does not fog up.

Bill Boehme
10-12-2006, 11:38 AM
.....Personally, I am betting that in the not so distant future, both Trend and Triton are going to be confronted with the challenge of having their products rated by US standards, and we will see an improvement in their filtration.......

It would be nice if they did, but I am somewhat skeptical. The process of certification to meet NIOSH and MSHA standards is expensive and time consuming. The payback is something to consider since the market for the Trend and Triton respirators is small -- they are basically niche market consumer products. The industrial market is owned by 3M. The certification process would involve much more than just installing a HEPA filter. The airflow on both the Trend and Triton is rather low and it is very likely that during heavy respiration, the wearer would draw in unfiltered air. In the end, it might require redesigned headgear with a larger blower, HEPA filter, different face shield, and larger battery to handle the larger blower. At that point, they may wind up costing as much as the 3M units.

Bill

Alan DuBoff
10-12-2006, 12:30 PM
I don't have any knowledge on these face shields, but would like to add a comment that I'm told was made by the late Jim "Paw-Paw" Wilson, an active member of the blacksmithing communtiy who unforunately passed away in 2005.

It goes something like this...

"You can walk with a plastic leg, you can grasp with a plastic arm. But, you cannot see with a plastic eye"
Jim "Paw-Paw" Wilson 1940 - 2005

Remember, many people neglect to wear eye protection, and there's a lot of danger in the shop, even a wood chip in your eye.

Food for thought.

Barry Burgess
10-12-2006, 3:13 PM
We have not been able to use the Triton over the pond as it failed the CE(European standard) but the Trend is available but if re tested would also fail the new standard. Its something to do with a one hour test? I have got the Trend and am very happy and I wear glasses. Hope this helps - wish there was a common standard.
Barry

Ed Breen
10-12-2006, 3:24 PM
Ralph,
I use the 3M and do wear glasses when I turn. No fogging. As to the first question, I like my 3M and am glad that I bought it, its comfortable and reliable and the motor noise is, at times, welcome company!
Ed:o

Bob Childress
10-12-2006, 4:50 PM
I am not sure where the 95% number came from that was quoted above by Bob Childress for the 3M units, but both the Airstream and the BreatheEasy have HEPA filters which are rated to meet NIOSH 42 CFR 84 P100 requirements. These respirators have a minimum filter efficiency of 99.97%. I think that the earlier posting may be confusing this with the 3M paper particulate masks and negative pressure respirators that have a rating of N95.

Bill,

You are quite right. I got the numbers from the 3M Australian site, but only applies to particulate masks. I stand corrected. :o

Mark Pruitt
10-13-2006, 11:10 PM
Mark,Do you wear glasses when using your 3M™ 8233 N100 Respirators? I have found that similar masks usually fog up my glasses. I would definitely go with the 3M mask if it does not fog up.
Ralph, sorry for the delayed response. Been on the road for a while.:(

The respirators I linked to do not fog up my glasses or faceshield. The exhalation valve directs exhaled air downwards and may at times create a little fogging of the faceshield at about chin level, which of course has no bearing on visibility. I think I know what you're referring to; most respiratory masks allow enough exhalation around the nose to fog one's glasses, especially if one exhales strongly enough. What's different with the 8233 is that it provides a rubber seal that is far, far more effective.

Bill Boehme
10-13-2006, 11:35 PM
The respirators I linked to do not fog up my glasses or faceshield. The exhalation valve directs exhaled air downwards and may at times create a little fogging of the faceshield at about chin level, which of course has no bearing on visibility.

I have had some fogging problems even with the high quality 3M paper masks that have the exhaust valves and rubber seal due to some leakage around the nose. I think that it is caused mostly by interference between my glasses and the mask. My current glasses are the new style narrow frame type and so I do not have any latitude in repositioning them. I have to move the mask down a bit and there is still a small amount of overlap and the residual leakage leads to fogging in this humid environment. Due to the humidity, there also is more fogging of the face shield than normal. Otherwise, these masks would be great.

Bill

Mark Pruitt
10-17-2006, 1:02 PM
I have had some fogging problems even with the high quality 3M paper masks that have the exhaust valves and rubber seal due to some leakage around the nose. I think that it is caused mostly by interference between my glasses and the mask. My current glasses are the new style narrow frame type and so I do not have any latitude in repositioning them. I have to move the mask down a bit and there is still a small amount of overlap and the residual leakage leads to fogging in this humid environment. Due to the humidity, there also is more fogging of the face shield than normal. Otherwise, these masks would be great.

Bill
Bill,
I had the same thing happen initially with the 8233, but I used the metal strip along the top to make a hard, tight fit around my nose. Doing that completely solved the problem of fogging glasses--which surprised me actually because I have an odd-shaped nose.:rolleyes: