PDA

View Full Version : Dust cyclone installation questions

Francis Clauson
10-09-2006, 1:03 PM
Hi

I have had built a dust cyclone and was after advice about installaiton

I have a 2Hp blower which I was going to hang from the ceiling joists (flat with the motor point upwords) - some installations I have seen use threded rod and some use chains - I was wondering how much reaction there would be from the motor (especially as its a 3phase machine controled by a variable spreed controller which I will ramp up over some 30 seconds)

Could I hang the blower by good quality (like ships) rope - this way I would gurentee no vibration is transmitted back into the joists and onwards into the rest of the building

If I do this - do people think that when I start it up - using Newtons laws etc - that there would be such a harsh opersit reaction that the uniut would twist too much (I was going to put four pieces rope would not hold it ?

You thoughts please

Francis

Erik Rudd
10-09-2006, 1:19 PM
Hang it by four points from the ceiling and secure it to two points on the wall, should be fine but YMMV....

Doug Shepard
10-09-2006, 1:22 PM
Francis
First - Welcome to SMC. I'm still in the process of getting my cyclone installed, so take this with a grain of salt. But I would think the thing would be trying to spin like a whirling dervish suspended from rope. The handful of times I've had mine turned on so far, I can actually watch the torque briefly grab as it's powered up and mine's hooked to a mounting board with just very short pieces of threaded rod between the mounting board and blower. I took a little bit different approach and used real heavy duty rubber vibration isolators to keep vibration from the wall or joists. It's plenty loud just from the motor and blower, but I can't sense any vibration at all. I picked my isolators up from McMaster-Carr. They're not very expensive.

Jim O'Dell
10-09-2006, 1:49 PM
You were brave picking this subject for your first post! :eek: :D Welcome to the Creek! I really like the long input on your cyclone. Many people put a short one on and immediately turn up or sideways. Nice job you did on the cyclone. You say you hired someone to build this for you? They did a good job. Jim.

Dennis Peacock
10-09-2006, 1:56 PM
I have my suspended from the ceiling and mine is a 5HP Leeson....no real problems, but my mount is ridig enough to where it doesn't allow much torquing of the unit on start up.