PDA

View Full Version : Tod Evans, thanks for the tour!!

Harley Lewis
10-09-2006, 11:09 AM
Last Friday, I had several appointments in the Ozarks and I had an hour between meetings so I called Tod Evans and set a time to meet him at his Ozark Hills wood shop. Tod is one of the fellows on the Creek that helps a lot of us in our wood working and tool selections, and I wanted to see him in person and say thanks and take a tour of his shop.

Tod is very special, he has a good wood working business, and a great shop. Not only is he a very skilled and gifted wood worker, he is also a master mechanic, machinist, and teacher. His shop is what you would expect of a guy whose business is making high end things for good customers. He has great tools and lots of space to create his works of art for local clientel. Actually, he does it all. Makes his own cutters for his campbell houser shaper, rebuilds old wood working equipment and rebuilds older trucks. He teaches this hands on stuff to his kids -- if fact his 14 year old daughter is rebuilding an older pickup right now. He also has helped teach high school kids the finer points of wood working.

I had a great visit, enjoyed the tour of the shop, and most of all experienceing a first hand look at a guy that is very good at what he does. Tod has more talent in his pinky finger than most of us will ever acquire. On top of it all -- he likes dogs. He has 4 big ole mastifs that greeted me with enthusiasm. Tod, thanks!

Harley

larry merlau
10-09-2006, 11:17 AM
you forgot to mention that he looks good to:) just a rusty,rugged ole guy that will do anything for you if you need it. and i havnt met him yet. but my enquire's with him has told me that. if dennis peacock likes him, he's a good ole boy:) some day i might get the chance, and wont turn it down. i too have much admiration for him and the help he offers us all. as well as many of the rest of the forum. i can fully understand his language .. a spade is a spade and if you dont like it you can leave:)

John Renzetti
10-09-2006, 11:24 AM
Sounds like a great visit. Tod is on my "must meet in person" list. One of these days if I have a layover in Little Rock that lasts a full day, I'll make the drive to his place.
take care,
John

Mike Hill
10-09-2006, 11:46 AM
Yep! Tod really helps the new guys and more experienced woodworkers here on the Creek. Harley I am glad you got to meet him. Must have been a good weekend with the "Hogs" wining.
Mike

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
10-09-2006, 12:08 PM
Harley, I envy you, Tod is on my short list of guys to meet up with on day, dunno how I'm going to do that yet, but I sure hope I can.

Cheers!

Karl Laustrup
10-09-2006, 12:10 PM
Harley, I'm envious. Tod is someone I would really like to meet one day.

Karl

Dennis Peacock
10-09-2006, 1:43 PM
Yup....Tod is one great feller!!!!! Been there and loved every minute I was there. Hey Tod....did you put the little "puppies" up so Harley wouldn't get to meet "the bunch"??? ;)

Maybe the family and I will venture up your way next week. You gots time?

Hey Harley.....I don't know where you are in Arkansas....but I'd like to meet ya some time. Never hurts to meet a fellow woodworker. :D

Dennis Peacock
10-09-2006, 1:44 PM
Sounds like a great visit. Tod is on my "must meet in person" list. One of these days if I have a layover in Little Rock that lasts a full day, I'll make the drive to his place.
take care,
John

John,

When you do? Wave as you pass through Conway on your way to see Tod!!! I promise to wave back!!!! :D Stop by for a visit. I ain't got all the fancey-schmancy stuff Tod has, but I do have a shop that we can kick the sawdust in. ;)

Dennis Peacock
10-09-2006, 1:47 PM
you forgot to mention that he looks good to:) just a rusty,rugged ole guy that will do anything for you if you need it. and i havnt met him yet. but my enquire's with him has told me that. if dennis peacock likes him, he's a good ole boy:) some day i might get the chance, and wont turn it down. i too have much admiration for him and the help he offers us all. as well as many of the rest of the forum. i can fully understand his language .. a spade is a spade and if you dont like it you can leave:)

Larry.....you're already on my list........

My list of gotta meet one day list. ;)

There's a lot of fellow Creeker's I'd love to meet, and one day, I hope to meet even more of ya. I have yet to meet a fellow Creeker that is anything short of amazing.

Tod is a bit "rustic" looking though. :p But I still like him a bunch. :D

John Renzetti
10-09-2006, 1:54 PM
John,

When you do? Wave as you pass through Conway on your way to see Tod!!! I promise to wave back!!!! :D Stop by for a visit. I ain't got all the fancey-schmancy stuff Tod has, but I do have a shop that we can kick the sawdust in. ;)

Hi Dennis, I sure will stop by. Usually it's just a quick stop at Adams Field or LRAFB. It's always fun meeting people in person.
take care,
John

Dennis Peacock
10-09-2006, 1:57 PM
Hi Dennis, I sure will stop by. Usually it's just a quick stop at Adams Field or LRAFB. It's always fun meeting people in person.
take care,
John

Well, I'm not shy about driving to meet you somewhere. We do have cars in Arkysaw ya know. ;)

Harley Lewis
10-09-2006, 2:20 PM
Dennis, I live in Fayetteville and work at the University of Arkansas. Make it a double deal, if you are in Fayetteville call me and I will buy coffee and I will do the same in Conway. I go through your community probably 3 times a month on my travels to central and southern Arkansas.;

Harley

Frank Fusco
10-09-2006, 3:07 PM
I've visited Tod in his shop and ditto all said.
We are sorta neighbors, live in same county.
But, blessedly, he lives far enough away in the woods so's there's no chance I might see him running nekkid on his property for a bath in the spring. :eek: ;)

Richard Wolf
10-09-2006, 4:50 PM
Last Friday, I had several appointments in the Ozarks.

Harley

Is that even possible????????

Richard

Rob Bodenschatz
10-09-2006, 4:52 PM

Richard

LOL!!!!!!!!!!

Dennis Peacock
10-09-2006, 6:46 PM
Dennis, I live in Fayetteville and work at the University of Arkansas. Make it a double deal, if you are in Fayetteville call me and I will buy coffee and I will do the same in Conway. I go through your community probably 3 times a month on my travels to central and southern Arkansas.;

Harley

Harley,
You're welcome here at my plane any time. Just holler at me ahead of time to make sure I'm here. Occassionally I make it up your way to visit with Terry Hatfield in Springdale.

John Renzetti
10-09-2006, 8:58 PM
Well, I'm not shy about driving to meet you somewhere. We do have cars in Arkysaw ya know. ;)

Hi Dennis, I've been to Little Rock many times. Visited Hot Springs once on a layover and have had a couple of trips and overnights in Texarkana. I don't mind driving, I'd like to see more of the state. Is it true that once you head north of Little Rock into the Ozark Mountains that everybody carries at least one "Arkansas Toothpick." I heard a rumor that Tod's place was considered as a location when they filmed "Deliverance." :)
Hopefully we'll get a good trip to AR soon. Be great to meet all of you in person. Also there seems to be around ten citizens of Arkansas that post here. Looks like a good excuse for a SMC Razorback BBQ.
take care,
John

Dennis Peacock
10-09-2006, 9:26 PM
Hi Dennis, I've been to Little Rock many times. Visited Hot Springs once on a layover and have had a couple of trips and overnights in Texarkana. I don't mind driving, I'd like to see more of the state. Is it true that once you head north of Little Rock into the Ozark Mountains that everybody carries at least one "Arkansas Toothpick." I heard a rumor that Tod's place was considered as a location when they filmed "Deliverance." :)
Hopefully we'll get a good trip to AR soon. Be great to meet all of you in person. Also there seems to be around ten citizens of Arkansas that post here. Looks like a good excuse for a SMC Razorback BBQ.
take care,
John

Shoot, just come on down John. I'll round up Zahid, Mark Cothren, Rick deRouge, and Joe Meazle for a time of eating and relaxing. Around these parts, we carry 3 Arkansas Toothpicks. :D

Frank Fusco
10-10-2006, 10:37 AM

Richard

Meaning????

10-10-2006, 11:07 AM
Meaning????

Not wishing to put words into Richard's mouth, I'll tell you what I think he means; The Ozarks is such a nice laid back beautiful place, lacking the hustle and bustle overcrowded-ness of a large city. Thus one would think a "Hectic" pace would just not happen there.

I'm sure it was also meant in fun and with a hearty laugh and smile.

How's that Frank? :D

Cheers!

John Hedges
10-10-2006, 11:27 AM
Being as I am a bit farther out (left coast actually), sounds like a tour of Tod's shop via pictures would be a greatly enjoyed thread by all.

Harley Lewis
10-10-2006, 11:31 AM
Good job Stu, I was just not going to respond since I felt it was in fun as well.

My job is talking to people, mostly alumni from the University of Arkansas and convincing them they need to invest in higher education either financially or with their voting and emotional powers. The Ozarks have a lot of great alumni, it is not a highly populated area but it has wonderful people that are interested in the futures of the young people of our state. And yes -- I have a hectic schedule when I am on the business road.

Harley

Harley Lewis
10-10-2006, 11:32 AM
John, I agree. Next time I am able to spend an hour or two with Tod I will bring my camera and do a post on his shop.

Harley

Richard Wolf
10-10-2006, 4:30 PM
Yes, Stu hit it on the head. When people invision places they have never been, they usually take it to the extreme. I just didn't think the Ozarks were that populated that you could visit several appointments in one day.
All in fun anyway.
Welcome to the Creek.

Richard

Jay Fields
10-10-2006, 4:51 PM
John,

Have you seen these threads?
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=26573
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=26574
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=30674
There are more if you do a google search of SMC.

I'm wondering if Tod is not on sabbatical as a protest to some heavy handed SMC moderator or administrator thread editing and deletions.

Jay

10-11-2006, 12:41 AM
John,

Have you seen these threads?
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=26573
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=26574
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=30674
There are more if you do a google search of SMC.

I'm wondering if Tod is not on sabbatical as a protest to some heavy handed SMC moderator or administrator thread editing and deletions.

Jay
Looking back at those posts reminds me of the huge shop Tod has, and the large amount of VERY nice work he does.

I'm betting he is just busy, as you may know, I think he does the hunt and peck style of typing, which takes time :D

Cheers!

larry merlau
10-11-2006, 8:20 AM
i bet your wrong, anyone that can do what he does with his hands in the wood department can surely type. he leads you to belive otherwize,, its called a smoke screen, you dont see him coming till its to late.:)

Steve Ash
10-11-2006, 8:25 AM
i bet your wrong, anyone that can do what he does with his hands in the wood department can surely type. he leads you to belive otherwize,, its called a smoke screen, you dont see him coming till its to late.:)

Hmmm...sounds like another good old boy with chin whiskers I know...

John Hedges
10-11-2006, 8:30 AM
Jay thanks for posting those links. I do remember looking at those threads when I first started visiting the Creek, and being very impressed with the shop. Was just too new then to remember whose shop it was. Thanks again

10-11-2006, 8:45 AM
Jay thanks for posting those links. I do remember looking at those threads when I first started visiting the Creek, and being very impressed with the shop. Was just too new then to remember whose shop it was. Thanks again

Tod's shop is very impressive, but it pales in comparison to the wonderful pieces that come out of it..........

Check out his website, it is in his profile (Don't know if I can post a link here or not).

Cheers!

Randy Moore
10-12-2006, 7:18 PM
Harley,
You're welcome here at my plane any time. Just holler at me ahead of time to make sure I'm here. Occassionally I make it up your way to visit with Terry Hatfield in Springdale.

Dennis,

Speaking of Terry Hatfield, WHERE is he? I miss his sense of humor and ALL of his knowledge that he has blessed us with. Hope he is OK!!!!! I have met him a couple years ago at the WWing show up here in KC. He was trading planes and taking some home to tune up.