PDA

View Full Version : Blade and Bit cleaners. They work well but...

Kevin Blunt
10-09-2006, 8:59 AM
Hello,

I just recently ought some freud fresolv(?) at the depot and it really does seem to work well on the blades and cutters for removing pitch. My problem is that I am spraying the tools over the laundry tub in the basement and I am losing more product than I am using. And the smell seems prety caustic as well.

What do others do for cleaning their tools with this stuff? I think I am going to buy another bottle and pour both bottles in a large round tupperware container and when it is time to clean I can just put blades and bits right in it. Creat a pool of sorts. Anyone else do this? At $10 after tax a bottle I don't want to waste it.

Mike Null
10-09-2006, 9:04 AM
I used Woodcraft Resin Remover. Mix it with hot water and soak the blades for a while. It brushes right off much better than i expected. I would buy it again. I have a large cookie can that'll hold my saw blades.

John Branam
10-09-2006, 9:04 AM
I use the Empire line of products sold at Rockler, I buy the kit that has several differnt things in it becide a bit and blade cleaner, it also has a table top protector for cast iron sufaces, router bit spray, and 1 or 2 more other products, they have worked well for me.

Tom Jones III
10-09-2006, 9:34 AM
I get citrus degreaser from the borg and pour it into a tub then let the blade soak for a few minutes then brush it off. Works fine and the citrus degreaser is cheap and easy to find.

Scott Thornton
10-09-2006, 9:35 AM
I use the CMT blade and bit spray. It works great, only about $6. It doesn't smell so toxic either, I'd compare it to a window cleaner...

Kevin Perez
10-09-2006, 9:40 AM
Simple Green works well, too.

Frank Fusco
10-09-2006, 9:53 AM
I use spray carburetor cleaner and take it to the driveway. After WD-40 and duct tape, it is the third most indispensible item in the world.

Mack Cameron
10-09-2006, 10:15 AM
Kev; get a box of "Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda", a tbsp. in a quart of hot H2O and let the blades sit for a couple of minutes. An old tooth brush easily cleans off tar, pitch etc. Environtally sound, no phosphates, NTA ?, or bleach. Easily rinses off with water.

Jesse Cloud
10-09-2006, 10:31 AM
Another vote for simple green and an old toothbrush (4th most useful tool after duct tape, wd40, and carburetor cleaner :rolleyes: ).

Gary Keedwell
10-09-2006, 10:31 AM
Formula 409 and an old toothbrush works great for me.

Gary K.

Edited for Mr. Bush: Formula 409 and an old teethbrush works fine on my dirty saw blades and other various woodworking tools. It takes sap, pitch, grime,other unidentfiable impurities off of said tools and leaves them looking like new.

glenn bradley
10-09-2006, 10:43 AM
I'm with Tom. Any citrus based product works well for me and they're cheap, won't hurt the carbide binders and don't smell. I use a flat bottom plastic bowl I found at the 99-cent store and a toothbrush. I've got some HF brass brushes if required. If I let stuff go too long, some 409 will take care of it.

John Bush
10-09-2006, 10:44 AM
Don't forget to floss!

Aaron Beaver
10-09-2006, 10:58 AM
I used Woodcraft Resin Remover. Mix it with hot water and soak the blades for a while. It brushes right off much better than i expected. I would buy it again. I have a large cookie can that'll hold my saw blades.

I use the same stuff, have it in a plastic bin, then use a stiff brush to help get the stuff off.

Larry Fox
10-09-2006, 11:57 AM
Oven cleaner and a toothbrush here.

Bruce Wrenn
10-09-2006, 11:22 PM
I use AWSOME cleaner from the dollar store. I think I pay a buck for a bottle-ha, ha. For a container, the lid from a five gallon bucket (drywall compound) is the perfect size for a 10" blade. If blade is really dirty, I add a second lid after spraying blade and let it soak for a few minutes. Freud used to reccommend using kerosene for blade cleaning.

Robert Schaubhut
10-09-2006, 11:26 PM
Try ammonia.
Shaz

David Rose
10-10-2006, 1:38 AM
Rockler stuff was what I bought when I first started working wood, and since it isn't gone that is what I use.

Be aware: There is a post somewhere (here?) that has a note from the Simple Green folks that says that their product will attack the binder in carbide. They say it is safe to scrub with but not soak.

David

Russ Massery
10-10-2006, 6:12 AM
Same here the Rockler stuff goes pretty far. And works great.They sell it in a kit. With a pan,Brass brush,and a small container for soaking router bits.

JayStPeter
10-10-2006, 10:16 AM
I use the empire over a wash tub. Since it is about 10 times faster than anything else I've used and soaking isn't necessary, I don't plan on changing. The spray bottle is pretty a pretty efficient way of getting the cleaner on the bits/blades. My 16 oz bottle has lasted quite a while. It is kind of nasty stuff, but I don't plan on going back to simple green ... too slow. I'll actually stop and clean my TS blade when it only takes a minute or two.