PDA

View Full Version : Old Wood Shutters

Leigh Costello
10-09-2006, 2:18 AM
Hello, I don't usually post here as I am an engraver and laser owner. However, a very dear friend has asked me to "tighten up" her old shutters on her farm house. I have them down and the slat mechanism works great, but the bottom and top of the shutter are loose. The age of the wood is probably about 50+ years. Is there a way to wedge this old wood without compromising the shutters. Mortise and tenon joints were used to construct these shutters. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance, from a girl who just can't say no to old friends,
Leigh

Cliff Rohrabacher
10-09-2006, 9:28 AM
The old M&Ts are loose?
Any way to tell if they were ever tight?
You should be able to pour an epoxy into the old joints which might be just the ticket.

If they come apart you can add a thin strip of wood to tighten 'em up.
Wedging 'em may be possible too but I'd be ever so cautious with the drift on the wedge. Maybe max of 2-Deg?
If you are lucky the old glue will be all weathered away.

Leigh Costello
10-09-2006, 11:29 PM
Thanks for the reply. I have really looked the shutters over and there is not visible sign of glue. I have no idea if they were ever tight, and my friend doesn't know either. I think I will try the epoxy tomorrow.
Thanks again.
Leigh

Robert Malone
10-10-2006, 8:32 AM
Leigh,
You may have to remove some paint at the mortise to see if the tenon is held in with dowels. And maybe the hole in the tenon has enlarged. Drill larger holes with larger dowels and glue.

Leigh Costello
10-11-2006, 12:37 AM
Thank you for the tip. Once I started again this morning, I saw some dowels that appear to have worked loose. Re-drilled a bit larger, then being the woodworker that I am, replaced the old dowels and promptly dropped one corner of the shutter. Now I am waiting for the glue to set up where I had to clamp. As my husband says, no job is too easy for me! :rolleyes:
Leigh