PDA

View Full Version : Jet Mini Lathes

John Terefenko
10-08-2006, 11:24 PM
I have heard a rumor that Jet is changing the mini model lathes. And some places are having terrific sales. Is there any truth to this?? I just bought the mini in Jan. I got the VS and am loving it. Only wish I had more time in a day.

Fred Floyd
10-09-2006, 1:11 AM
Rockler is running the 1014 variable speed reg $375 for $299 and they throw in a Nova Midi Chuck. The chuck is one of those that requres two bars to tighten, but it works pretty well. Best part is that both headstock and tailstock are #2 Morse taper so all my existing centers will fit.

I already have a larger lathe (Jet 1642-2) so this one is just to take on the road.

The first thing I did was to add a reversing switch, so now it's variable speed AND reversible. I found an article on how to wire the switch. The parts needed ran a whole $6.

Randy Meijer
10-09-2006, 5:09 AM
I have talked to several people at JET, either directly or indirectly and have been given conflicting information. The information ranges from, "...the 1014 has been discontinued..." to there is absolutely nothing being done to the JET mini. To date I have not been able to resolve the different stories; but the story that has the greatest credibility with me is that the JET mini is being redesigned to lengthen the bed so that it is more competetive with the new Rikon lathe.

I am continuing my efforts to discover the full story; but we may have to wait for an official announcement from the company before we can be absolutely sure what is going on. Randy

Daniel Heine
10-09-2006, 11:15 AM
Hello,

I was at The Woodworking Show in Chicago this past weekend, and talking to a representative from Rockler. He said that Jet is making a clone of their mini lathe with the Rockler brand on it, and it will be selling for $159.99, hopefully in time for Christmas!!!

Happy Turning,
Dan Heine