PDA

View Full Version : my first HF

Mark Pruitt
10-08-2006, 11:00 PM
Piece of Cherry, about 6" by 3.5" The opening is a little bigger than I wanted, but my smallest face plate is 3". (Have a 2" on the way from LV.) Sanded to 400, Danish Oil finish and Beall buffed. Thanks for looking.

Mark

Corey Hallagan
10-08-2006, 11:03 PM
Very nice Mark! Beautiful color in that piece and I like the shape!

corey

Keith Burns
10-08-2006, 11:09 PM
Great HF Mark. Great form and finish.:) :)

Travis Stinson
10-08-2006, 11:15 PM
Very nice form Mark. I've got to ask, why not use a drive center to start off between centers so you won't have the faceplate screws dictating the size of your openings?

Bernie Weishapl
10-08-2006, 11:23 PM
Beautiful piece. I like the form and finish. Nice job.

Mark Pruitt
10-08-2006, 11:24 PM
Very nice form Mark. I've got to ask, why not use a drive center to start off between centers so you won't have the faceplate screws dictating the size of your openings?
Good point Travis. The answer is, I just didn't think about that option.:rolleyes: I also could have used the screw center that came with my Talon, but again, I just didn't think about it. I'll get over my "faceplate fixation" eventually...:p

Dennis Peacock
10-08-2006, 11:30 PM
Wow Mark!!! Very nice bowl and nice job on the round table tool. Nice formed beads on the table and super nice finish on the bowl. Congrats on the bowl. Just poking fun about the table. But it is a nice table. :D

Jim Becker
10-08-2006, 11:51 PM
Ya mon! Very nice, Mark!!

Bill Boehme
10-09-2006, 12:33 AM
It is a very nice turning. Congratulations on a job well done.

I am afraid that I can't quite visualize the relationship between faceplate size and the opening at the top. I guess that it must be a technique that I am not familiar with.

Bill

Andy Hoyt
10-09-2006, 12:57 AM
The shape is most pleasing. Finish aint bad either.

And ditto what Travis said about the mounting thing.

Scott Donley
10-09-2006, 1:01 AM
Mark, I can only hope my first HF will be half that nice, nice job :cool:

Ernie Nyvall
10-09-2006, 1:39 AM
That's a good one Mark. The form is really nice... finish too.

Gary DeWitt
10-09-2006, 3:07 AM
Beautiful shape and finish, Mark.
I have the Talon and find the screw center works quite well, give it a try.

Mark Pruitt
10-09-2006, 9:42 AM
It is a very nice turning. Congratulations on a job well done.

I am afraid that I can't quite visualize the relationship between faceplate size and the opening at the top. I guess that it must be a technique that I am not familiar with.

Bill
Bill, it's the holes for the screws that hold the faceplate onto the piece. I guess I could have gone with a smaller opening, but then I would have these curious looking little holes around the circumference of the opening...:eek: :p Hopefully a 2" faceplate will allow me to use that mounting method and have a smaller opening. But I'm also going to try out the center screw method, and working between centers. Lots of wood, lots of stuff to experiment with!:D

Mark Pruitt
10-09-2006, 9:44 AM
Thanks for all the kind words, guys. I doubt that I would have been able to create this piece without the inspiration and instruction I get on a regular basis from SMC. Y'all are the best!

Keith Burns
10-09-2006, 10:28 AM
Mark, I use a faceplate a lot as well. But I use a waste block glued to my turning and screwed to my faceplate. Then just part off the waste block.

Gary DeWitt
10-09-2006, 11:33 AM
My .02 addition - use gap filling (thick) CA glue, you can be turning in about 5 minutes if you use an accelerator. Use hardwood for the waste block, like poplar or some other secondary wood.

George Conklin
10-09-2006, 11:42 AM
Hi Mark,

Well, I kinda like the opening the way it is:) . I have yet to even try an hf. I hope that when I do, mine will look minutely as good as your first.:)

Don Fuss
10-09-2006, 9:13 PM
Mark, great form and finish!

Bruce Shiverdecker
10-09-2006, 9:23 PM
Beautiful HF, Mark.

Bruce

Curt Fuller
10-09-2006, 11:10 PM
Good point Travis. The answer is, I just didn't think about that option.:rolleyes: I also could have used the screw center that came with my Talon, but again, I just didn't think about it. I'll get over my "faceplate fixation" eventually...:p

That's a very nice HF. Ditto all the good things that everyone else has said.

In the year or so that I've been going to monthly turning club meetings and watching demos I don't think I've ever seen two turners mount and start out their work the same way. I personally like using the big worm screw that comes with the talon. You could probably start a thread on different wood mounting methods that would go on for a long time and be pretty interesting too.