PDA

View Full Version : Steel City Tool Works

Jack Dickey
10-08-2006, 10:40 PM
A new outfit advertised as being run by a bunch from other companies who got together to build quality tools ...

Anyone gotten any of their equipment yet and comments ??

The write ups look good and the pics are flashy ..

Website looks like quality stuff here ..

Dennis Peacock
10-08-2006, 11:33 PM
Welcome to SMC Jack. I've seen the ads for SST, but I haven't seen any of their tools yet. Many of them look like some that are already on the market under a different color or two.

BTW, my In-Laws live in Prattville, AL. I used to live in Milbrook. Small world, eh?:D

Alex Shanku
10-08-2006, 11:42 PM
Marsh Power Tool in Michigan has quite a few of SCTW's machines in stock. Guys at the store speak highly of them.

There is a thread over at Fine Woodworking which talks about them in greater deal.

Wayne Watling
10-09-2006, 2:52 AM
Today I took delivery of a SCTW's drill press and am totally impressed with everything I see so far. The packaging was great, no little marks or scratches on any of the parts, it came in perfect condition.
This is my first drill press so I can't really compare the workings of it but I know quality when I see it and they have done a terrific job with the QA. The instuctions were well written and didn't leave me in doubt about any part of the assembly. It's obvious that they have put alot of time into little details to make life easier for us woodworkers. I'm a very happy customer.

Regards,
Wayne

Chip Olson
10-10-2006, 4:22 PM
I looked over their site and was amused to see that their bottom-of-the-line table saws are mechanically identical to the Craftsman hybrids. (Downloaded the manual to make sure; it's the same saw.) Was annoyed at the lack of riving knives, but other than that they look like some nice tools.

Robert Mayer
10-10-2006, 4:35 PM
They are pretty much a duplicate of whats already out there. Except for the fancy titanium top, which is a decent idea.

scott spencer
10-10-2006, 6:58 PM
Steel City is the same group as Orion International who makes some of the better Craftsman machinery like their new hybrid saws and jointer. Orion was formed by former Delta employees several years ago when Pentair bought Delta and wanted to relocate them. Scott Box is the head honcho and bottle washer.

Haven't seen any of their equipment yet, but I like my 22124 saw and found Orion's customer service to be excellent.

Jim O'Dell
10-10-2006, 7:55 PM
I looked at the 8" jointer, then looked at the price on the 'Bay for it. Twice the price for the Grizzly G0490, it's the identical machine except for the start stop stalk and paint, but with a 2 HP motor instead of 3 HP. TWICE THE PRICE????? ($1499.00 plus 250.00 shipping) I don't understand that! I like the color scheme, but I could do a lot of paint damage for 749.00! Granted, it is priced with the Delta model of this unit, but...Oh well, I can't buy any of them right now anyway. Intersted in seeing what Griz's price changes to after the introductory period. Jim.

Jack Dickey
10-10-2006, 10:12 PM
I hadnot taken a closer look compared to the stuff already out there , but for that price , they can keep it .. Nice looking , flashy stuff , that'll probably sell on those merits alone , but I could care less what it looks like as long as it works ..
Getting harder and harder to seperate the wheat from the chaff ..